Hobby mapper, joining OSM in Dec 2009. Mapping in Australia, South East Queensland.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Garmin Oregon 600 GPS
- Garmin Dakota 10 GPS
Garmin Legend HCx notes
- Nice repeatable steps to setup a Legend to play nice with OpenStreetMap http://mapkibera.org/wiki/index.php?title=GPS_Setup - generally applies to the Oregon and Dakota too.
- Setup display screen
- from map screen, menu, data fields, data field 4 (show time of day so can photograph the display for photo time correlation)
- Loading OSM maps vis micro SD card
- Using Cloudmade errors map files - useful to show what bits are not mapped
- Only issue I had with this is I reformatted the card on a mac. This made it FAT32 not FAT16 and the Garmin couldn't read it :-(
- UPDATE: Fixed this by putting the micro-sd in a convertor, and then reformatting it in a camera - came out FAT 16 formatted and all was fine once I deleted the directories the camera made.
- How to get routes (from GPSies or Bikely) onto the HCx and available for routing?
Mapping Project Interests
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
A number of sections of the BVRT are already open http://www.brisbanevalleyrailtrail.org.au but have not yet been mapped: http://osm.org/go/ueEzWh I'd like to map them - OSM has tags for RailTrails already : http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Rail_Trails - so anyone up for a bike ride?
Queensland Peaks and Mountains
Have proposed an import of Qld Peaks and Mountains, details here: Australia/Queensland/The_Department_of_Environment_and_Resource_Management/Peaks_And_Mountains_Import