This page is a brief introduction, for a more detailed guide, please refer to Wikimedia Commons' help page.
HotCat adds buttons to the category section of a page as shown in the screenshot. Clicking on a button between a category name and the following vertical line will do the following:
- remove this category
- replace the category with another one
- replace this category with a subcategory
- replace this category with its super-category
Additionally, there are the following buttons to the sides of the category list.
- (++) on the left side
- changing multiple categories at once i.e. without saving in between (it adds a button to commit the changes)
- (+) on the right side
- add a category to the page
These buttons will appear even if the page is not assigned to any category.
When adding or replacing a category, HotCat will display a list of suggestions based on the input. The feature assists in finding the correct category, in case you do not know the exact name. The input box
Combined search provides multiple methods for retrieving the suggestions. The sign between the input box and the indicates if a category name exists (tick) or not (cross).