WikiProject Congo-Kinshasa/2017 Ebola Outbreak OSM Response
2017 DRC Ebola outbreak OpenStreetMap response As of 23 May 2017, 43 suspected Ebola cases (including 3 deaths signaled in 13 May) have been reported in #DRC, Full extent of the outbreak still not yet clear with ongoing extensive investigation & risk assessments are ongoing while humanitarian response is getting organized. This OpenStreetMap Crisis Mapping project is set up to help to respond efficiently to the outbreak. ...
For Aid Organizations
Map and Data Services
OpenStreetMap offers an online map (and spatial database) which is updated by the minute. Various tools and services allow data extracts for GIS specialists, Routable Garmin GPS data, Smartphone GPS navigation, and other device-compatible downloads. With an internet connection, regular syncing is possible with open access to the community contributed data as it comes in, with OpenStreetMap's bulk data downloads ideal for use offline. In addition, maps can also be printed to paper.
Browse the (example) Activation Area to get a feel for the data that is currently available. Different map styles including an Humanitarian style can be selected on the right side, and some data may not render (appear) on the map, but could be exported from the underlying database (See export section below).
Poster size Maps and normal sized paper atlases of custom areas can be printed:
- FieldPapers Paper Maps with grid for field survey or general navigation purposes,
- MapOSMatic Large Paper Maps with grid, street index and POI, good for command centers, hospitals, etc.
Exporting OpenStreetMap data
- Africa : Geofabrik (osm, shapefiles)
- DRC and regions : (osm, Garmin img, navit, gpx, tomtom, poly, shapefiles)
- Hydrography of Congo (pdf with river names)
- HOT-Export OSM Data exporter, select area (Open Data ODbL 1.0)
With the availibility of Small communication devices, Navigation Offline data proves to be very useful to the humanitarians deployed in foreign countries. We support the humanitarian NGO's using navigation data and invite them to give us feedback on the utilization of these devices in the context of field deployment.
- Add additional data sources here...
Usage of OSM data for Humanitarian Missions
- Please post links/reports here...
About This Disaster Mapping Project
- As of 13-May 2017 (+48hours), at the request of DLM (Direction de Lutte contre la Maladie) and INRB (Institut National de Recherche Biomédicale), 4 mapping tasks had been set on the HOT US Inc Tasking Manager instance in Bas-Uélé, DRC. Focus is on road networks, human settlements, and health facilities to help future deployment in the area.
English media coverage
- Provide link to article/media
Other Responses initiatives relevant to this mapping response
- Provide relevant links and responses
- Remote mapping assistance required - mapping response duration not estimated yet
How You Can Contribute
Learn to Map
- Remote OSM contributors, visit LearnOSM.org to get started.
- Additional guidance for tagging
- Refer to Highway_Tag_Africa for road mapping
- Please choose from highest priority first
- Experienced mappers are also asked to participate in validating completed tasks. Information on validating can be found here
|Job No.||Priority||Location||What to map||Imagery Source||Task Mapping Status||Task Validation Status|
|ACTIVE CRISIS MAPPING JOBS|
|Eebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé (2017), RDC #12||URGENT PRIORITY||Bas-Uélé 12 (South-East of Monga, Uélé river on the border with and to the East of Nord-Ubangi province) ; partly completed in task 1||Road network, settlements||Digital Globe||In progress (95%)||In progress (5%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, Likati, DRC #9||URGENT VALIDATION||Bas-Uélé 5 (city of Likati, crisis hub)||Buildings to improve||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||In progress (66%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #8||High priority||Bas-Uélé 8 (North and South of Likati, Zongao)||Road network, settlements||Digital Globe||Complete (100%)||In progress (66%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #2||High priority||Bas-Uélé 2 (East of Likati River, between Uélé and Rubi rivers, Diula, Kotili, Buta, road to Kole in Tshopo province)||Road network, settlements||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||In progress (90%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #4||Middle priority||Bas-Uélé 4 (North of Uélé River, from Ouango and Monga to Api)||Road network, settlements||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||To do (0%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #3||Middle priority||Bas-Uélé 3 (South-West of the province, Bunduki, Aketi, and East of Mongala province, North of Bokala)||Road network, settlements||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||In progress (13%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #1||Middle priority||Bas-Uélé 1 (West of Kulu, East of bordering Nord-Ubangi and Mongala provinces)||Road network, settlements (buildings)||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||In progress (96%)|
|COMPLETED/ARCHIVED CRISIS MAPPING JOBS|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #11||Urgent priority||Bas-Uélé 7 (West of Likati, Yalanga, Nzongia, Libongo, Baku, Biala, Longwe, Doka, Mapwale, Niei)||Buildings to improve||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||Almost complete (99%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #10||Urgent priority||Bas-Uélé 6 (Kulu, Gumba, Bandu, Beleulu, Dendu)||Buildings to improve||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||Almost complete (99%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #7||Urgent priority||Bas-Uélé 7 (West of Likati and Zangao, Nzongia, Yalanga, Baku, Biala, Niei)||Road network, buildings||Digital Globe||Almost complete (99%)||Almost complete (99%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, DRC #6||Urgent priority||Bas-Uélé 6 (Kulu, Gumba, Bandu, Beleulu, Dendu)||Road network, settlements||Digital Globe||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
|2017 Ebola outbreak in Bas-Uélé, Likati, DRC #5||Middle priority||Bas-Uélé 5 (city of Likati, crisis hub)||Road network, buildings||Digital Globe||Complete (100%)||Complete (100%)|
OSM Default Imagery Sources
DigitalGlobe provides a global imagery data source which is the 'default' Imagery available for this OSM mapping response.
A new high precision imagery in colors has been specially put for this crisis mapping (only within delimited sectors: the URL is specified in the description of each HOT Task which uses its own tileservice ID; it may not persist after completion of tasks).
Access to this imagery is subject to the following licence contract that must be accepted by contributors:
- “DigitalGlobe Satellite EULA: DigitalGlobe, Inc. is pleased to provide its high resolution satellite imagery to OpenStreetMap in support of its mapping initiatives. By using our imagery in the OSM editor, you understand and agree that you may only use our imagery to trace, and validate edits that must be contributed back to OSM. You cannot download our imagery or use our imagery for any other purpose. We retain all right, title and interest in and to our imagery. We provide our imagery “as is,” with all faults and as available; we disclaim all warranties, express or implied, to the extent permitted by applicable law. You can recover from us only direct damages up to an amount equal to the fees you have paid to us to use our imagery on OSM, if any. We are not liable for any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect, incidental or punitive damages. Happy mapping! Attribution should be:
source=DigitalGlobe. Original Source: DigitalGlobe Satellite EULA https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DigitalGlobe ”
By using DigitalGlobe imagery in an OSM editor, you understand and agree that you may only use the imagery to trace, and validate edits that must be contributed back to OSM. You cannot download the imagery or use the imagery for any other purpose.
Bing provides a global imagery data source and should be compared to Bing (follow Tasking Manager guidance).
Mapbox provides a global imagery source and should be compared to Bing (follow Tasking Manager guidance).
Alternative Imagery Sources
How to add/use Alternative Imagery
In many cases better imagery is available than the default; when possible we set up a remote link directly via the Tasking Manager, so there is nothing to do, the iD editor and (as long as enabled) JOSM will automatically add the imagery.
Additionally, with JOSM, it's relatively easy to add special imagery if the license is appropriate for tracing into OSM. For more details see JOSM Imagery Help
Add potential data sources
- Provide links to historical maps of the impacted area if any
- 13-May 2017 Lomé (Togo) 35 Western African mappers from Burkina, Togo, Bénin, Côte d'Ivoire, Niger, Mali and France held 2 mapping sessions at Lomé AUF Campus Numérique Francophone (CNF) and CIREL - Village du Bénin.
- Refer to events/projects listed in WikiProject_Congo-Kinshasa wiki page
- World Health Organization:
- (en) Dr Oly Ilunga Kalenga, Minister of Public Health, announces an outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in Likati district, Bas-Uélé Province (northern DRC) following confirmation by the National Biomedical Research Institute, 12 May 2017.
- (fr) Dr Oly Ilunga Kalenga, Ministre de la Santé Publique, annonce une flambée de la Maladie à Virus Ebola dans la zone de Likati, Province du Bas-Uélé (Nord de la RDC) après confirmation par l’INRB, 12 May 2017.
- (en) Ebola virus disease – Democratic Republic of the Congo, 13 May 2017.
- (en) Ebola Virus Disease Democratic Republic of Congo External Situation Report 1 (PDF), 15 May 2017
- (en) DRC: Response to The Ebola Virus Disease Outbreak in Bas-Uélé, 17 May 2017.
- (fr) Réponse à l’épidémie de la maladie à Virus Ebola (Communiqué de presse conjoint MSP-OMS-UNICEF), 18 May 2017.
- (fr) Réunion de coordination et de mobilisation des ressources auprès des partenaires techniques et financiers à l’OMS pour faire face à l’épidémie d’Ebola à Likati (Bas-Uélé, Nord de la RD CONGO), 20 May 2017
- (fr) Réunion de coordination et de mobilisation des ressources auprès des partenaires techniques et financiers à l’OMS pour faire face à l’épidémie d’Ebola à Likati (Bas-Uélé, Nord de la RD CONGO), 22 May 2017