WikiProject Uganda/Uganda Refugee Settlements Remote Mapping Guide
In this wiki we will:
Present the guideline for mapping refugee settlements in Uganda.
Present the Workflow for cleaning OSM data in order to upload through JOSM editor.
This data has been gathered as part of the Non-Settlement Refugee data project in Arua District, Northern Uganda. The data has been gathered during training and field-mapping, whcih has been executed by refugees and members of their hosting communities. Before it can be uploaded to OSM, cleaning and validation is necessary, due to field conditions, lack of reliable GPS devices (low Smartphone standard), and general challenges encountered during field-mapping in resource-poor contexts, using local infrastructure/facilities.
Data Cleaning Workflow. Parish by parish, as per assigned parishes (per surveyor).
Tools: Kobo Collect, QGIS, Excel, JOSM
- Download all surveys from Kobo Server, and order per surveyor, using QGIS.
- Use daily job lists from Deo’s assignments to cover each subcounty one by one.
- Pick a surveyor, and open JOSM.
- Pick the surveyor’s tracks and photos and drop them into the JOSM window.
- Download the OSM layer for this area.
- Download the imagery for this layer.
- Export the surveys from QGIS by Surveyor as csv and paste into attribute table.
- You now have 5 layers.
- Coordinate the most accurate geopoints and upload.
- Find the less accurate geopoints. Use the OSMAND track to identify where the surveyor stopped.
- Cross-reference with ‘centre of the village’ ODK point (from QGIS layer).
- Use this to reasonably re-position geopoint. Upload.
- Points unsure of, or missing, have to be re-captured.
- Bad data: clean up by:
1) Calling-back Surveyor fro cross-questioning
2) Calling community number
3) Return to the field