Zambia is a country in Africa at latitude 13°13′44.40″ South, longitude 27°51′00.00″ East.
|OpenStreetMap images (and underlying map data) are freely available under OpenStreetMap License.|
Zambia OpenStreetMap community
Anyone can join in with mapping Zambia. Welcome to the community! Some community organisations / gathering points:
OSMzambia.org - "OSM Zambia is a non-government not for profit organization that aims to detail map every area in Zambia with the community as the main mappers"
- "We are the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team in Zambia"
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done (and are maybe willing to get the ball rolling) then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress.
How to participate? If you have a GPS or a GPS Data Logger device:
- upload your tracks and edit them :)
If you haven't any GPS but are still willing to contribute you can participate in many ways:
- you can enhance this wiki page :)
- you can take contact with other wiki sites (Wikipedia, Wikitravel, etc.) and provide them with image of already mapped area
- you can inventoriate and tagg, using Potlatch with Yahoo imagery or using JOSM if it is already in a mapped area, any POI (point of interest). I think here about schools, universities, hospitals, restaurant, tourist sites or attraction, monuments, parks, train station, piers, forest, etc.
- you can start adding local names to cities, villages, etc.
- you can add the names to rivers, lakes, etc.
- you can take contact with some public surveying institutions and ask them about the licencing of their data. Is there any of their geodata that are compatible with the OpenStreetMap opencontent licence?
- You can start mapping bus road or train tracks (using relations) - perhaps take contact with the main coach to ask about their road and their stop?
- you can download all the data from Zambia area, and make a .img file (with mkgmap) ready to be uploaded to your Garmin or your phone. You can eventually let people know about where one can access it by mentioning it at this page OSM Map On Garmin/Download