From OpenStreetMap Wiki
|To specify the type of a fortification|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 5|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Tag fortification_type=* is used to specify the type of a fortification.
How to map
- historic=archaeological_site mandatory
- site_type=fortification mandatory
- In many cases the fortifications can be further differentiated, as in:
- fortification_type=hill_fort - - mounds (incl. Burgwälle(de), Wallburgen(de), Ringwälle(de), castro(fr))
- fortification_type=ringfort - - circular fortified settlements that were mostly built during the Early Middle Ages up to about the year 1000.
- fortification_type=limes -
- fortification_type=sconce - - small protective fortification built from the late Middle Ages until the 19th century
- fortification_type=ring_ditch - (rondel)