|amenity = cafe|
|A generally informal place with sit-down facilities selling beverages and light meals and/or snacks.|
|Group: Food and beverages|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: De facto|
|Tools for this tag|
amenity=cafe (café) is for a generally informal place with sit-down facilities selling beverages and light meals and/or snacks. This includes coffee-shops, tea shops selling perhaps just tea or coffee and cakes through to bistros selling meals with alcoholic drinks.
How to Map
Tags to use in combination
- diet=* - for describing dietary choices on offer such as vegetarian.
- opening_hours=* - for describing the opening hours.
- internet_access=* (but see note below for amenity=internet_cafe if Internet access is the primary business)
- outdoor_seating=yes - for describing the café's outdoor seating area if present
- ice_cream=yes - is used to indicate if a cafe sells ice cream among other products.
Other suggested cuisine types:
- donut e.g. on Wikipedia
- bagel e.g. Bagel Brothers in German
- amenity=internet_cafe for places that primarily sell telephone or internet services rather than food or beverages
Cafes inside other shops / amenities
It's quite common for large museums, libraries, or book shops, to have a little cafe inside. A recommendation of a way to map these details, is to represent the larger feature as a area around the building perimeter and then place the cafe within this as a separate node. If you prefer not to add a building outline, just place a node at the approximate centrepoint for the larger amenity, but map the cafe as a separate node.
Of course some mappers will take different approaches (so data users may want to be aware these). In the case of a bookshop, we might have both shop=books and amenity=cafe on the same element. In general it is better to avoid ambiguity (and also provide more location information) by mapping them as separate elements. That recommendation also avoids another more acute tagging problem. In the case of a cafe inside a library for example, the tags share the same 'amenity' key (amenity=library and amenity=cafe) We have a clash. Some mappers resolve this with a tag such as amenity=library;cafe, but this is specifically not a recommendation. See Semi-colon value separator page for details. Capture more detail and avoid these problems by mapping the cafe as separate element.