From OpenStreetMap Wiki
- See also: Routing/offline routers
Online routing services and software using OpenStreetMap data.
Route services with public instances
- Open Source Routing Machine (OSRM) : Very fast car routing.
- OpenRouteService () - Route service (Europe only) for car, pedestrians and bicycles based on Open Standards and OpenStreetMap data. Support for wheelchair users is in work wheelchair routing (German). Last data update for routing was on 2012-10-29.
- MapQuest 
- CloudMade Routing (Demo Site) and API
- YOURS () is a opensource webservice for route planning combining existing services and software like Namefinder, Gosmore routing engine and OpenLayers slippy map interface. Routes can be calculated for either car, bicycle or foot and downloaded as GPX file. A route altitude profile is also available. Last data update for routing was on 2013-02-10.
- CycleStreets is routing for cyclists (UK only) 
- Routino () A free / open source router with an online demonstration for the UK .
- Roadeeno online global routing demonstration of free software router based on Routino considering special osm-tags and providing route instructions for web and navigation systems. Roadee-Developer-Site
- BBBike @ World () - a Cycle Route Planner. More than 200 cities are supported around the world. There is also an offline version.
- BRouter focuses on bike routing and features elevation awareness, alternatives, fully configurable routing profiles and offline routing for Android
services missing in comparison matrix
- Skobbler maps - provides routing for car (fastest, shortest), cycle and pedestrian. Seems to be worldwide but not sure.
- OpenStreetRouting () A simple online routing app using Pyroutelib2 and tile data server
- fahrradies.net Fahrradies.net is a simple to use cycle or pedestrian route planner based on pgRouting.
- GeoVelo French cycle routing on selected city
- OpenTripPlanner opentripplanner.org open source multi-modal trip planner released under the LGPL.
- GraphHopper is an Apache licensed Java (road) routing library.
|Functionality (hover for description)||OpenRouteService ||YOURS ||CycleStreets ||Cloudmade||Routino ||
||BBBike @ World ||MapQuest ||OSRM ||BRouter|
|Coverage||Europe only||Global||UK only||Global||UK only||Global||Selected Cities||Global||Global||Global|
|Modes of transportation|
|Car routing (fastest)||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Car routing (shortest)||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|Bicycle routing (shortest)||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Bicycle routing (fastest)||Partial||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Bicycle routing (safest)||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Bicycle routing (quietest)||Partialsafest||Partial||Yes||No||Yes||Partial||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Pedestrian routing (safest crossings)||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Public Transport||No||Available in the API||?||No||?||?||No||No||?||No|
|Wheelchair routing||Yes (subproject)||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Blind person routing||No||No ?||No||No ?||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Advanced routing options|
|Turn restrictions||No||Partial||No||Partial||Partial||No ||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Detailed vehicle limits (height…)||No||No||N/A||No||Yes||Yes||N/A||No||No||No|
|Via-points||Yes||Yes||Available in the API||up to 25 online||up to 9 online, 99 in software||up to 9 online, 99 in software||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Manual speed of vehicle||No||No||Partial||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Avoid crossing borders||No||No||No||No||No||No||N/A||Yes||No||No|
|Avoid bridges or tunnels||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||No|
|Avoid street types||Yes||No||Partial||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Takes hills into account||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Takes steps into account||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Routing over ferry routes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Allows bicycle routing over motorways tagged with bicycle=yes||Yes||N/A||No||Yes; if such tagging existed||No||No||N/A||No|
|Route instructions||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes: web and navigation||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Multilingual instructions||Yes||Yes||No||API only||English, German, Dutch||Deutsch, English||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Permalink for routes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Edit in Potlatch link||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Edit via remote control||No||No||Yes||No|
|Screenreader accessibility (JAWS, Orca)||No||No||No?||No?||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Mobile device accessibility (small screen)||No||Yes||No||Partial||Yes||No||No|
|Route elevation profile||Only Germany||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Offline applications||Marble, OsmAnd||Marble, OsmAnd||No||OsmAnd||Marble||No||No||No||Marble (0.14+)||strict offline use with Locus or OsmAnd possible|
|API open for 3rd party applications||Yes||Yes||Yes||?||not online but is open-source||Partial||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Service guarantee||99%||No||Paid SLA available||99.9%||No||No||99.9%||No||No|
|Regular routing data updates||no updates since database change||No||every few days||no updates since database change||twice weekly||approx. weekly||weekly||daily||daily||monthly|
Online routing software without public (demo) instances
- pyroute can route for different types of vehicle (bike, foot, etc), uses A* with weightings, and has a basic GUI
- pgRouting () main objective is to provide routing functionality to PostGIS / PostgreSQL. pgRouting is part of PostLBS, which provides core tools for Location Based Services (LBS) as Open Source Software (OSS).
- Loadstone for Symbian devices (Loadstone is not an online routing software! It is for Symbian OS mobile devices. It does not download any files while routing, but you can import files from the OpenStreetMap to Loadstone converter.)
- osm_routing super-simple plain Dijkstras in scala with rest-ful webAPI. (GPLv3)
- Transit Routing was a project to collect GPS tracks for calculating drive through times or travel times (transits) of streets segments.
- opensatnav.org Proposed project. Initial idea is to set-up an opensatnav application that can be used on G1 hand sets, and Openmoko. The Andnav2 project has done some excellent work, but it isn't all _open_.
- PHProute (version 0.2alpha) can route car like map24 or other routeplaner, using a modified A* algorithm from pyroute. (under development)
- Preference for relations with route=bicycle
- Selecting the cyclenetworks layer will result in routes that are part of cycleroutes which will be nicer, more quiet etc. then shortest/fastest.
- Under development.
- For simplest turn restrictions composed of way-node-way
- Traffic Message Channel (TMC) only in NRW and Bavaria.
- See instructions for submitting a localization. Localizations currently include Deutsch, Chinese, Russian, Romanian, Dutch and Vietnamese.
- Translations welcome but currently only a few available.
- In the edited GeoTools version.
Adapted from OpenRouteService#Route Service Comparison Matrix