Discuss Key:memorial here:
Function OR Construction/Material?
Looks to be different things being tagged here;
the function e.g. 'war memorial'
the construction/material e.g. plaque
These should have separate tags!
I would suggest using the same tags as artwork_type .. possibly with some additions to tag the construction/material. In order to reduce confusion with these tags make the tag memorial_type? And then add the tag memorial_function? And then duplicate these for monument. This would make for at least some consistency to the tags. Warin61 (talk) 23:51, 20 September 2016 (UTC)
- The page documents actual usage. When I created the page, I took the top values from taginfo. They had not originated from some broken editor template, but from consideration by various users. That makes the high usage numbers a good indication that the tags are reasonable.
- War memorials, at least those in Central Europe, do not only serve a special function, they are also physically distinctive, with plaques listing the died soldiers of that village, surrounded by some artwork like an eagle, a helmet, or a small group of men in arms. Do a Google images search for "kriegerdenkmal" to find out more. They are abundant in large parts of Europe because so many soldiers died in each of the two world wars.
- You can combine historic=memorial + memorial=* with tourism=artwork and its subtags. No need to duplicate tags into a new key. It is also possible to draw an area for the memorial and make nodes for the individual artworks it consists of.
- --Fkv (talk) 05:50, 21 September 2016 (UTC)
- Some war memorials are simple plaques, others are statues. These multiple values present multiple different ways of tagging the same object. I would think a more structured approach will result simpler mapping. Usage can head off in all sorts of uncoordinated directions Warin61 (talk) 22:46, 7 January 2017 (UTC)
For a blue plaque...
The former is more popular now, and simpler. The latter means that instances of blue plaques are more elegantly sharing the tag memorial=plaque with other types of plaques. Someone should make a proposal/documentation of this.
- This page just documents current usage. If you find a value useful, use it. Otherwise feel free to use alternate tagging. Some 84 occurrences don't mean much in a database with billions of nodes. Frankly speaking, I consider neither of these blue_plaque tags elegant. These kind of plaques may be blue in Britain, but they have other colours in other parts of the world. E.g. they are usually white in Austria. So this tag will not be used globally, and applications developped outside the UK will certainly ignore it. --Fkv (talk) 08:15, 9 September 2014 (UTC)