User talk:Harry Wood

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Leave a message for User:Harry Wood here


Contents

Welcome - GPS Unit

Welcome to OSM! You should get yourself a GPS receiver. In theory Open Street Map allows a division of labour, where some people gather GPS tracks and others draw maps from them, or develop the mapping data further in other ways. But in practice you can only understand the system if you master the entire value chain. Make sure you get one from which you can download the tracklog file (most automobile models don't seem to offer this feature) and make sure you get the PC cable (serial or USB) included in the price (can be expensive as an accessory). --LA2 19:06, 30 Jan 2006 (GMT)

Help Page

Nice work on the help page. Perhaps you could take a look at some of the other areas, they sure could do with some reorganisation and simplification. -- Blackadder 09:17, 23 Feb 2006 (UTC)

PD-user template

Hi Harry, I noted your clarification on the PD-user template. Though I do see your point...

  • A long paragraph sits very uneasily in the embedded box style.
  • It is already possible to determine sole authorship for software (via trac's revisions system), so it's not true to say that it's only a gesture.
  • Making your own contributions PD doesn't necessarily mean that you support the whole of OSM going PD, as the 'clarification' implies.
  • It's a little ethically dubious to change such a declaration after several people have already signed up to it. They may not agree with the wording of your clarification. (This is, of course, one of the 'fun' things about wikis!)
  • Given that the licence debate can get heated, it's probably not politic to add interpretations to other people's views. (You could, of course, always set up a PD-user-with-clarification category.)

Consequently I've reverted it. If you think it's still necessary, I'd suggest we work together on adding an wiki.osm.org page about Public domain, in place of the Wikipedia link. (In turn, this would probably link to the WP page.)
cheers
Richard 12:33, 26 February 2007 (UTC)

Fair enough Richard. I think a clarification is needed on there, but you're right it should probably be discussed first. Template talk:PD-user would be the place to do so I guess -- Harry Wood 12:54, 26 February 2007 (UTC)

sysop

done! use wisely. :) Morwen 12:25, 29 June 2007 (BST)


Cleanup

Three cheers for all the cleanup stuff you're doing - it's making things much clearer. Could I add About to your list? It's very out of date.

Might be good to have more prominent links to the Foundation page, too (see recent debate on talk list). --Richard 09:10, 2 July 2007 (BST)

Hmm yeah some of those About page links are a bit odd. I had been fiddling there to try and sort out the translation links, but yes the english version really isn't that great is it? I will attack it at some point -- Harry Wood 12:55, 2 July 2007 (BST)

Hello Harry
At the Category:Labelled_for_deletion page are 218 pages linked, some labbeled by me. Is it possible to delete some of these in the next time. After that it is easier to find pages which should deleted. Thanks, Markus --Uboot 15:15, 22 June 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for the editing tips for GeoBase Import, much appreciated. I just have a couple discussion points with other users (via email), then I think i'll be able to separate the facts from the discussion points much better :) --acrosscanadatrails 08:18, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

Have you seen the Wiki organisation page. It looks like it could act as a really good starting point for a re-new'd enthusiasm for getting the Wiki a bit more organised. It could be a starting point for the "Page Naming Guidelines" you were thinking of writting?

Martin Renvoize 12:19, 7 December 2009 (UTC)

Hey Harry, what superseded this themplate. It's still mentioned in this page and could do with being re-directed, or the other page deleting too. I'm usre it's duplicated somewhere, but i'm not sure where yet!?

Martin Renvoize 12:03, 11 December 2009 (UTC)

Osmosis

Hi Harry, thanks for the new Osmosis page. It's been on my TODO list for a while :-) Ideally I should add everything on my own wiki to this page, I only put it on mine because I knew how to use it.

The tool is pretty rough around the edges at the moment, if I can get a couple of nights on it I should be able to tidy it up a bit.

At that point I should add a couple of links from other pages on the wiki ...

PS. Haven't added one of these talk messages before, hopefully I get it right :-)

Cheers, Brett 14:50, 11 July 2007 (AEST)

São Paulo

Hi Harry, glad to know you're coming here (business or vacation?). I bought a GPS a few months ago and since then I had focused on mapping the longest highways by car and my neighborhood by motorbike taking pictures of street signs. Right now it seems that I am the only OSM user in this 14 million city and I'll be glad to welcome you here. Please drop me a note with further details (claudomiro|gmail^com) Claudomiro 23:15, 16 August 2007 (BST)

Thanks for the Welcome

Hi Harry, Thanks for the welcome. I have started to map Islamabad and Rawalpindi. I live in Rawalpindi and work in Islamabad. Will contribute more as I collect more traces and master JOSM.

Sharjeel Aziz 23:06, 29 August 2007 (PKST)

Canberra Animation

Hi Harry, I'm glad you found my Canberra OSM progress animation, and am delighted you consider it worth nominating as a featured image. I plan to continue adding frames to it, but the increasing coverage is beginning to stretch the capabilities of my RAM! Even if I continue to add weekly frames, it would be great to have it as a feature image. Latch 01:31, 4 September 2007 (BST)

OS WMS

Hi, I saw you talking about the OS WMS services last night in #osm, I've done some experiments with it in openlayers already and got something working.

Their WMS server seems quite limited, only providing output as the OS projection, a fixed tilesize (which changes depending on zoomlevel as well!).

My work so far is at [1] I also hope to get around to writing my findings sometime..

--Edgemaster 09:48, 22 October 2007 (BST)

Looks great! I didn't realise ordnance survey had a public WMS server actually. The WMS Server you're pointing at is here: explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/OSMapAPIWebApp/osmapapiwms but where is it described on the OS website? That's the first time I've seen a full screen OS map on the web. Are you really allowed to present them like that? By the way, internet explorer 7 covers up the copyright notice (firefox does the nice transparent strip at the bottom)
Here at the council office I'm working at, we have something called "PlanAccess". I've managed to hook OpenLayers into the WMS source which this provides. This seems to be doing on-the-fly rendering of very detailed ordnance survey data (Is it called "MasterMap" when you can see the building outlines and everything?) So this looks great.
I was hoping to sneak in openstreetmap as an optional layer, more as an advert for OSM than anything they would actually find useful (given the detail that PlanAccess provides) Unfortunately Christopher Schmidt was explaining that OpenLayers wont allow me to simply reference the rendered tiles from OSM servers, becuase they're using a different projection. I'm not actually sure what projection it is, but safe to say it aint the same as OSM's.
He suggested re-rendering OSM data with a matching projection, but this means setting up python-mapnik-tilechache, and some facility for synching & re-rendering as the OSM data improves. All a bit tricky. Actually anything requiring server hardware and running applications, is no longer a sneaky thing I can put in place without anyone noticing... well probably not. I could try -- Harry Wood 10:57, 22 October 2007 (BST)
Legally, it's probably a very black area. Their ToS forbids hyperlinking to any part of their site. Ripping the images from their servers probably contradicts their ToS as well as copyright. (Although I do attribute it to them). Conflicting projections are annoying, I'd have wanted to slip OSM into my project that uses that OS 50k map. --Edgemaster 20:07, 31 October 2007 (UTC)

Google SOC

Thanks for the reminder Harry. I am still interested. And now is the right time to plan. I have some contacts at Google we should follow up with to make sure OSM is signed up.

Wikitravel

Thanks for your note! I'm blown away by how much OSM has progressed since I last took a look, and I'm convinced the future of Wikitravel mapping will be with OSM. I'm now heading Wikitravel's print spinoff Wikitravel Press and trying to figure out how to export OSM data via Osmarender, please do chip in at Talk:Osmarender if you have any ideas. I've also signed up on MediaWiki extension. Jpatokal 14:14, 5 November 2007 (UTC)

Source for Components.png

Hi Harry, i'm interested in translating the Component Overview you created into german, so i would be glad if you could send me the SVG source for the Components Diagram (Components.png). My mail address is florian <dot> schmitt <at> gmx <dot> net. --Florianschmitt 14:04, 11 November 2007 (UTC)

Planet diff description

Harry, sorry for delay, I will add some clarification on how the planet diffs work as per your request on my talk page, just been distracted by other things. Will try to get it done over next day or two. I've been thinking about doing it as a separate page dedicated to daily diffs. --Brett 12:22, 22 November 2007 (UTC)

Internationalization of the map features page

Hi Harry, as you are one of the persons who tries to keep the wiki a bit less chaotic, I would appreciate if you could have a look on my proposal for the "map features" page internationalization here Talk:Map_Features and provide some comments. I know that using templates has pros and cons but at least, it's the best mean I see at the moment to create an up-to-date page for all languages. Or you may have other suggestions/ideas/tools which could help the translators. -Pieren 15:05, 7 January 2008 (UTC)

Captcha-like thing

Dear Mr Wiki... is it possible to stop the annoying "tell us what 37+2 is" when you've added a link to openstreetmap.org? I can understand its purpose in preventing links to spammy sites, but osm.org surely isn't one of them... --Richard 10:31, 9 January 2008 (UTC)

Done! (I think) I tested in Sandbox and I think it's working better now
I was expecting the answer to be "No because I'm not a System Administrator", but I thought I'd investigate and figure out exactly what we need to ask them to do, and it turns out that I could fix it (as a sysop) by editing this system message page: MediaWiki:Captcha-addurl-whitelist
-- Harry Wood 11:10, 9 January 2008 (UTC)
Spoke too soon didn't I? hmmm let me see. Why isn't that working? -- Harry Wood 11:41, 9 January 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for sorting it! --Richard 17:15, 10 January 2008 (UTC)

Licence vs license

In British English, "licence" is the noun, "license" the verb. (Mnemonic: "I advise you to follow my advice.) In American English, "license" is used for both. British English is probably slightly more the lingua franca of OSM than American. :) --Richard 17:15, 10 January 2008 (UTC)

Aha it's those Americans confusing me is it? For a long time I was flitting between spellings randomly.
Nouns hey? So actually the page called "OpenStreetMap License" should be "OpenStreetMap Licence".
Ah well. Could go do some page moving, but that might add another new dimension to the licence debate!
-- Harry Wood 17:44, 10 January 2008 (UTC)

"Incorrect" Use of Yahoo Imagary

I noticed you reverted my change on the South East London Mapping Party page saying: '"incorrectly" because the recommendation is to sketch in untagged ways (*without* highway tag)' due to it appearing mapped. I found the recommendation for using untagged ways and found you were the one who wrote this recommendation. I don't see any consensus to justify calling it correct or incorrect.

Although your way suits your work flow, it does not particularly suit mine. I can download this to my GPS and it assists me in GPS surveying. I can find and correct as I go. Also the road names are available in the ABC Street Atlas of London 1933/4 - I have started adding roads around Woolwich using this method. Manual surveying should be the last resort (although it is the only resort in most cases!)

If we want to find unnamed roads, we can use the maplint layer. Tracking progress of mapping should be done on the wiki rather than the aesthetics of the map (again IMHO). Your work on Kosmos looks very promising in this regard - so why do we need the map to look blank in unnamed road areas?

You seem to be assuming that no one uses OSM for navigation currently. These tagged highways actually might be useful?

I don't accept my method as incorrect. GPS surveying is not the only way to do "proper mapping". Incidentally, is there anywhere in London that has untagged highways? (I promise I won't tag it - yet!) --TimSC 18:18, 22 January 2008 (UTC)

Yeah I was taking the opportunity to raise this point again by sneaking the word "incorrectly" in there. Bit cheeky I know. I think you're misinterpreting my message though. I'm actually pro yahoo sketching.
The instructions on how to sketch over yahoo imagery can be found at Yahoo#How to sketch?. As you noticed, I wrote the instructions ...but I did write them based on what I'd read in a mailing list posts / some IRC converstations. And more importantly, I wrote them almost a year ago. There's been plenty of time for people to correct the instructions, if this is not what the consensus is, or even just to call them into question on the talk page. ...but nothing.
It's been frustrating for me actually. I've had very little feedback on this, but I'm also asking for action on my request to change the rendering. Have a read here: Talk:Yahoo! Aerial Imagery#Sketching - Is just tracing useful?.
Maybe nobody has responded to that because I've gone off on a massive rant, but the idea is simple. I've requested the change here too, but no response.
Have a read and let me know what you think. You're involved in sketching alongside other surveyed maps in London (as I am), so I'd be interested in your point of view. Hopefully you'll agree that a simple rendering change could solve the problem
-- Harry Wood 15:31, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
Generally people don't respond to discussions here because it's not the commonly accepted channel. The standard discussion channel is the talk mailing list - for everything except for tagging, which takes place on the wiki. Most probably, the people who would actually change the rendering haven't actually seen your request.
I realise you might not want to subject your inbox to an onslaught from lists.openstreetmap.org, which I can entirely understand, but Nabble should help. cheers --Richard 16:04, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
I am moving my responses to the Yahoo imagery talk page which seems more appropriate now. --TimSC 17:47, 23 January 2008 (UTC)
FWIW, Birmingham has lots of untagged ways. And with the possible ownership change of Yahoo, I consider it absolutely fine to trace as much as possible while we still may access the aerial images, even if the highway tag is missing or wrong or has no name tag. --Colin Marquardt 11:08, 7 February 2008 (UTC)

AND China data

Hi, I think the China data from AND was not imported, but dkt (D. Tucny) had imported some other dataset with chinese town names a week before (I cannot reach IRC from there and so cannot ask him and fix it myself). The AND data for China has been deemed too low quality. --Colin Marquardt 11:03, 7 February 2008 (UTC)

Bold in the calendar

Hi Harry, i was suposing the bold was to hilight the mapping parties, not the number of partecipants :) I hope to have 10 thousand people at Rovigo. :) --EdoM (lets talk about it) 16:56, 6 March 2008 (UTC)

No no. It's based on number of partcipants. ...not that it really matters I suppose. But hopefully it'll be a bold event soon hey? hmmmm maybe I should plan a "holiday" in Italy. -- Harry Wood 17:41, 6 March 2008 (UTC)
You'll be welcome :) but you should reply in my talk page.. :P --EdoM (lets talk about it) 17:54, 6 March 2008 (UTC)

OS 1914 Data..

Thanks for formatting it :)

If you have access to a libray that has the 1:2500 originals of the date shown you may wish to consider obtaining tracings, or carefully use a length of thread to record the actual distances for the survey points..

Don't use the current OS MasterMap in ANY from to confirm the figures... It has to be from a 'physical' 1:2500 from prior to 1955 !!!

ShakespeareFan00 23:23, 5 April 2008 (BST)

Map Features

could you fix the other languages in the same way you done for the english page? TIA --EdoM (lets talk about it) 22:16, 8 April 2008 (BST)

Could you check my comments in the forum topic ? Pieren 17:21, 9 April 2008 (BST)
Sent today on the forum about this topic:
For the wiki administrator:
the PHP environment is currently limited to 12MB (said in the error report "Allowed memory size of 12582912 bytes exhausted").
A short look on the mediawiki:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Er … x_bytes.29
says:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxxxx bytes exhausted (tried to allocate xxxx bytes)
Raise PHP's memory limit in php.ini:
memory_limit = 32M  ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (32MB)
(also on other forums talking about this topic, e.g. ::http://www.mwusers.com/forums/archive/i … -3806.html)
I see that the wiki server is a VM using 512MB (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Servers/vm).
I don't think that allocating 20Mb more (12Mb -> 32Mb) for the wiki would have a serious impact on the server.
And with this value, it will still be possible to display most of the common tags in a single page. Pieren 13:06, 11 April 2008 (BST)

London Border Map

Nicely simple rendering, would be good to get more of London in the view - the whole of Sutton's border is complete. --Thomas Wood 17:34, 2 May 2008 (UTC)

I did an update to Image:London-borough-boundaries.png today. It includes Sutton now. Well done gathering the border data. You've put us central londoners to shame! -- Harry Wood 23:26, 5 October 2008 (UTC)
I've been working on getting the relations done up for the current London boundaries, I've also updated Image:London-borough-boundaries.png with a new (shinier) version from the OSM Inspector. --Thomas Wood 16:59, 17 November 2008 (UTC)

A couple of wiki questions

Hi, I'm new to OSM, so I hope I'm not bothering with questions that might have been answered somewhere, but I wasn't able to find :-)

  1. I was trying to reduce font size in Template:PD-user, as you asked for in the talk page, but using a div style my edit was blocked by spamlist match for "<div" (see talk history) Is it a choice to avoid styling, am I still not an autoconfirmed user to insert divs, or ... ? :-) Fun, it works well in preview :-)
  2. Planning to translate some pages into Italian, I haven't found any guidelines for page titles. I have read the discussion about tags and keys, but what about other kind of pages (i.e. legal, administrative, etc)? Are index.php/Something/It titles accepted? Same for templates?
  3. Any guidelines for categories?

Thank you in advance :-) --Mr G 00:05, 21 May 2008 (UTC)

No problems. I can answer some of these questions.
  1. For div styles the trick is to use upper case DIV. So <DIV style="font-size:0.8em;">smaller text</DIV>. See Talk:Wiki#$wgSpamRegex blocking all divs (we should change this really).
  2. Italian translated wiki pages should be of the form index.php/It:Something. And actually in many cases the 'Something' title would be the english word. This is not ideal, but it does make it clear which page this is a translation of, and enables templates like Template:Language Links to work (example usage: OpenStreetMap License) We haven't really settled on an approach though. There are some other similar templates. Some people have started creating a new template for each page, so the About page has a special "Template:Language-about" for example. That's only been done for key pages though. You'll notice that not every translated page follows the same name rules. Click around the About links, and most of them are called xx:About, but then there's "Introduktion på svenska" which screws the system up a bit! I suppose we should really kick off a centralised discussion about how we want to manage wiki page translations.
  3. For categories, again we should maybe put together a page of wiki guidelines on how we want to use categories. Personally I don't actually use categories that much. I prefer to just make sure that in-page links form a useful navigation hierarchy to group related pages. But categories come in handy for some things. Basically you'll need to just look around and try to make sure somebody didn't already have the same idea as you, before introducing any new category idea. Other than that, there's no rules in place. It's a free for all!
Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to put forward your own ideas for how to organise these things. I'm trying to group together/link any wiki organisational information at WikiProject Cleanup, and there's the more general "Wiki" page.
-- Harry Wood 09:15, 21 May 2008 (UTC)

Delete page Tag:waterway=riverbank

I know that you have admin rights in the wiki. So could you please remove completely the page Tag:waterway=riverbank thus offering the possibility to move the right page Waterway/riverbank to its final (I hope) location with all its history attached. We reached this strange situation after some merges I think. Just delete the old page, I can move the right page and update the links myself. Then, hopefully, naming convention will be preserved ;-) Thanks.--Pieren 09:37, 6 June 2008 (UTC)

Ah yeah I was just contemplating doing that move about an hour ago. It is done! -- Harry Wood 10:51, 6 June 2008 (UTC)

I would like you to comment on this "multilingual ability"

Hi Harry, I have written a comment on multilingual ability and I would like to ask you if you can comment it. Thanks, --PMay 10:10, 23 June 2008 (UTC)


Gumtree Promotion

It's easy to advertise the London Mapping events on Gumtree by posting a community ad. One problem is I'm not sure if this is suitable for complete beginners. The meet-up seems to be afterwards, whereas newbies would need a time and place to meet up and be briefed.

Could you list it on upcoming as before and I'll put a copy on Gumtree? --OliverLondon 10:51, 21 July 2008 (UTC)

re MapOf broken

Hi Harry, thanks for letting me know. Actually I didn't know the wiki plugin was using MapOf. Cool. Sorry for not replying earlier, but I was firefighting the new t@h server and had little time for anything not emergency-related. Due to your comment, I made MapOf return jpeg format again and also made it return the correct image dimensions. Yes, the offset is still not always right. I will be looking into this. But let me explain why I don't just use the old version. Tiles in the new server are stored as one file per tileset. For this reason the old PHP script can not just fetch the tiles as before. And as the whole server is now running in python, I decided that it would just be easier to also have this in python. To sum it up, the old PHP just wouldn't work as easily as before, and I didn't really have time to look a lot into the python version. If you can get OJW to provide a patch to fix the offset now, that would be great. Otherwise it will have to wait until the most pressing issues (ie server crashes) are solved. --spaetz 10:21, 22 July 2008 (UTC)
  • Fixed now. It still needs to time out in the cache until you see the result. But the UK looks good now too. --spaetz 08:30, 6 August 2008 (UTC)
  • exported images have OSM attribution included now, for osmarender at least. This clashes with your attribution label you use. Either you disable the attribution with a "&skip_attr=1" appended to the URL or you disable your attribution string for osmarender excerpts. --spaetz 10:22, 18 August 2008 (UTC)

Semantic Mediawiki

Seems you're a wiki expert, so I'd like to hear your opinion on this: I've been playing around with the Semantic Mediawiki extension [2] and think it could be a great help for sorting out the Map Features and Proposed Features mess. See also [3]. Do you have experience with it? Would it work, or is it too expensive load-wise? Cheers, Robx 08:46, 23 July 2008 (UTC)

Yeah I've certainly heard of semantic mediawiki, but never really tried it out. Maybe I'll try this extension on my wiki on a stick and see how it works (can't promise I will get around to doing that very soon though). It could be good for Map Features, or I guess it could be one of these things which just overcompicates matters (in terms of ease of editing the wiki pages) But yeah machine readeability would good. -- Harry Wood 14:16, 23 July 2008 (UTC)
I have a running semantic system and I can say it's really more complicated than to edit Map Features per hand. I don't believe for instance that it is possible to bring the images in the right size in the table. So it has no flexibility. And I hear that semantic wiki is a performance killer.
On the other hand machine readability is really nice, the creating of OSMhack was a really stupid work for me for some hours. But ok.
I see to other kinds of data in the wiki which could be interesting for "semantification". The events could be handle on a live calendar like this it looks very coool, but is it really neccesary? The second datas are the coordinates in Template:Places but there I see no real usage in the moment. In summary I believe the wiki should be a fast and easy to use communication and documentation platform without semantic, because OSM is hard enought.;-) And machine readability can also be done by Wiki-templates and external script. --Kolossos 17:06, 24 July 2008 (UTC)
Hmm. For an OSM project in Berlin, we've been experimenting with this: [4]. The table [5] is generated by SMW, and Attribut:Tagged provides a nice summary of how features can be mapped. I think it's kind of nice, but then I didn't try to make tables containing images so far. Also, I have no idea whether it could handle a wiki the size of this one. But would it be worse than our current use of templates?
I don't agree that it's complex to use: Slightly modifying the standard templates like Template:KeyDescription and Template:Proposal Page would give immediate benefits without requiring the general users to learn anything new. It would then be straightforward to generate say the multitude of tables in the proposal process automatically.
Of course, there would be no need to replace Map features: We could leave it as is, and test an automatically generated SMW test/Map features. Cheers, Robx 14:54, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
I agree with Robx that this extintion would help tromendously on the proposed feature page. Users cerrently have the problem of updating the template status on the proposal page but not the status on the proposed feature lists. With this extention the list could be automaticly updated and soulve many problems with the proposal process. --Nickvet419 23:53, 7 November 2008 (UTC)

Hi Harry, in the meantime we've defined a proposal for a Machine-readable Map Feature list and we got a prototype for the OSM wiki with semantic extensions up and running. The prototype demonstrates that semantic extensions don't complicate maintaining the wiki, but they help a lot to get a complete and consistent list of map features outside of the wiki. User:Firefishy told me that you would probably be the guy to ask if we wanted to push this approach. What's your opinion about this? Do you think SMW could be installed on the production site? Gubaer 19:48, 3 February 2009 (UTC)

Switch SlippyMap

Hi Harry

The new version of SlippyMap is developing quite nicely. I would like to bump the version on the OSM wiki to the new version: http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/SlippyMap/ and http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SlippyMap

Problem is, the new version has incompatible syntax. Do you know if there a quick way to find out which pages use SlippyMap?

- Firefishy 08:41, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

Ah ok. Different syntax.
Unfortunately I don't think there is a nifty way of finding all the pages using it (not like using 'what links here' for templates for example) but just searching for 'slippymap' does turn up those pages along with some other matches.
Doesn't matter hugely if it gets broken for a little while. People will fix it themselves if we explain the new syntax (The Simple image one was broken for a few weeks while they were fiddling with the t@h set-up, and nobody seemed to be too upset) Another option would be to add a wee hack in the extension which detects the old syntax and gives a good error message.
-- Harry Wood 09:22, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

Street name abbreviations

This is one of the many india specific problems that we are going to face. if you compare a map of london and chennai on the same zoom level, you well notice that there are a lot more roads in India. Initially i found that almost none of the road names were showing up completely as the names were too long for the short streets. Either there has to be a rendering rule which would automatically shorten the names or it would have to be done manually if we are to get a non cluttered map. The problem is more compounded when the long road names are rendered distorted on a very shaky road making the map unreadable. Maybe not the optimal solution, but it addresses the issue for now -- PlaneMad|YakYak 17:22, 18 November 2008 (UTC)

Request to block the wiki user User:Chriscf

Hi Harry, I know you are one of the wiki administrators and I don't where else I could apply this request. It's about User:Chriscf who is continuing to create a lot of troubles on the wiki. His main concern about "smoothness" should be closed now since the key is disabled in "Map Features" by User:Hawke the 4th Dec and the discussion is re-opened. But he still undo other edits about this controversy and does not accept that the Map Features template as it now Template:Map Features:smoothness although others already asked him to stop these unproductive aggressive comments/undo's here. I tried all my best to involve more people and not only the four same guys fighting since weeks now in order to find a real consensus. But I see now that this person is inflexible and will never accept this key even with other values or other names (I changed the header of Template:Map Features:smoothness to explain the controversy but even that was removed by the guy). He does not want to see the templace even if the template is not in Map Features ! He is just against the concept. This is totally against the spirit of the whole project. That's why I would suggest to block/disable this user, maybe temporarily. Your opinion ? -- Pieren 13:13, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

I noticed you were involved in trying to mediate this dispute earlier on. Thanks for that. There's ongoing discussion over at Talk:Proposed features#Drifting from reality. I can block him from the wiki, but I'm undecided. If this was just a wiki project I would have blocked him for edit warring without hesitation, but... -- Harry Wood 17:02, 5 December 2008 (UTC)
Hi Harry, i see there is a edit war about the smoothness-pages. The page is constantly moving from approved to rejected and back. Maybe the page can be blocked. Chriscf is reverting any change. thx Hadhuey 17:48, 26 February 2009 (UTC)

Relief maps

Hi. You were asking about Relief maps. I put up a copy of my tile-overlaying thingy on:

http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/relief/?zoom=9&lat=54.44155&lon=-2.47096&layers=B

Source code is here (you can adapt that to remove areas identified by some colour out of a map layer, and overlay the result onto some other map)

http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/relief/source.php

Ojw 21:42, 8 December 2008 (UTC)

Hey there...

Hi Harry, thanks for your awesome work inside the OSM wiki! Firefishy just set the admin flag for User:Uboot and me. So it should be a bit easier to get some things tidied up in the German namespace. But of course I'm also available to help with other stuff in other languages. --Avatar 07:16, 30 January 2009 (UTC)

Languages templates

Yeah, the idea about the adding of language templates was to remove all the page specific templates, but turned out to be more work than I had initially imagined. I will continue it as I have time, but have received a larger workload at work now, so it might go slow. --Skippern 11:14, 25 February 2009 (UTC)

Re: two-phase mapping workflow

What I do is add the ways as 'unclassified road' with no name. Then Cloudname's 'minutely updated tiles' will highlight the unnamed streets. I then walk the area on foot and make sure to walk the whole length of a street when adding its name, so I can add footways, post boxes, pubs and so on. (In fact I usually visit the area on foot twice, not bothering with the Yahoo imagery unless to check the outline of a building or where the GPS trace is noisy.) -- Ed Avis <eda@waniasset.com>

Towns or Town

I've seen your name on the wiki a lot and noticed that you've changed a few categories from things like "UK towns" to "Town in UK" etc (which is why I'm posting here). I started looking at how towns (and cities) where categorised and also updated the places category (partly to answer something on the talk page and partly to stop one of the categories this template allocates pages to being hidden); when I started I went down the "Towns in UK" route as this was what I saw on a number of pages (and a couple of requests on talk pages). Searching the wiki didn't suggest a standard. I've updated a fair number of the UK pages this way. However, as I've gone further it is obvious that other systems are in use (which is where I came across your name). Do you know if there is an agreed standard as to whether it should be "Towns in UK", "Town in UK" or "UK Town" or something else? (same for cities). I'm happy to update the pages as necessary to try and make it all consistent. --MarkS 19:31, 25 May 2009 (UTC)

Haven't paid much attention to these categories in a while. As I said over at Template talk:Place#Categories... good work Mark! -- Harry Wood 15:14, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
Thanks for the reply. Since I posted somebody else has used Towns. I'll go with the plural and more importantly try to make sure everything is updated and it is clear what we are using. --MarkS 13:55, 29 May 2009 (UTC)


Cairo Mapping Party

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement :) See you at SOTM!

Slippy Map MediaWiki Extension (add cycle map)

Hi, do you help me with add cycle map to extension? You are author of extension and I have not knowledge with development in OSM SVN. I read PHP and make change class old new diff. How long is way to change in OSM mediawiki? Do you help me with add this "patch"? It is change correct? thanks! hanoj 21:18, 28 June 2009 (UTC)

Yep. checked-in and deployed! -- Harry Wood 11:18, 29 June 2009 (UTC)
Great, thanks. In my town we says: "Impossible promptly, miracles in 3 days!" -- hanoj 14:42, 29 June 2009 (UTC)

about your post in renderers articles

i read your comment on this article [6] there is 2 month ago. You say " somebody who didn't really understand the difference between comparing rendering software, and comparing available map layers" .

  • 1 Could you explain more what you ohave in mind by say that.
  • 2 Is there rendering engine that support output in both raster and vector . Mean in web side if browser can rendering vector and raster data ?
  • 3 Do you have in mind that there is a difference beetween stylesheet use for each layer and layer in final map?
  • 4 Layers could be "planified " to one layers in a raster tiles ?( vector to raster engine)
  • 5 wanted to update the articles with my limited knowledge . what could be the focus point to be enhanced in this article
  • 6 in which article end user could find link information about joomla and osm [7]
  • 7 when you say rendering software Does you think about engine ? so where must go the capture screen of template stylesheet map ? is there a chapter article about raster stylesheet / vector stylesheet ? most raster come from vector isn't it ?

I find the article about renderers not very informatives about the technology use , the data in input and the final output result . speak about geocoding or routing is not about rendering and think should disseppear !! . some information miss because seem under licence.


Thank's France-59-valenciennes 12:13, 19 July 2009 (UTC)

The page as originally gave a clear list of different rendering software: Mapnik,Osmarender (the main ones) and various less used systems: Kosmos, CartoType, Cobra, osmrender.pl, Pyrender, PHP rendering, Phprender.
A list of available map layers or different "styles" might be interesting too for some people, but it's going to be a much longer list. 'Cycle map' and 'Mapnik' layers look very different, but they are both created by the same rendering software, Mapnik. There are *many* different map styles, and some systems such as the CloudMade style editor which make it easy to create more, so the list is effectively infinite.
Also if you want to a page to compare map styles, don't use JPEG images, which create lossy artefacts near the labels, and don't display the large images side-by-side. The wiki page gets a horizontal scrollbar (even on my massive monitor) which is all a bit messy.
That's what I was meaning.
-- Harry Wood 17:03, 19 July 2009 (UTC)

Need help against unapproved changes on highway key

Hi Harry,

I know you oppose tags with subjective values. Please help me to avoid the recent changes by Dieterdreist on the description on the highway tag. (change from physical to importance)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Key:highway&action=history

Thanks. --Lulu-Ann 12:41, 12 August 2009 (UTC)

eugh! Haven't had time to wade into this debate yet. -- Harry Wood 13:50, 20 August 2009 (UTC)

Single sign on

Hi Harry,

you removed the notice about the OpenID plugin for the forum from Single_sign_on. I wonder whether this makes sense, given the fact that it was located in the OpenID section. If you should decide at some point in the future to use OpenID for integration, you would have to use it for each piece of software, including the forum and despite it using another database for authentication already. So, in my opinion, either remove the whole OpenID section because you have already chosen another approach, or leave it intact in case you might want to take this road.

--Webmeischda 16:31, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

Well they way I see it, the only reason OpenID is ever mentioned in a discussion about single-sign-on, is because it provides a quick and dirty zero coding solution which would get us part way there (users could use one user name and password across all OSM apps, but they would still have to log in to them all separately and other messy aspects) ...but that's all solved already for the forum, so... yeah we might want OpenId eventually on there too, but that's not relevant to single sign-on.
OpenId could be a good idea for OSM for other reasons but fans of OpenID should hold off for a few months to give the OAuth changes some time to bed in. OAuth adds new opportunities and new complications to OSM authentication. If we start talking about OpenID any time soon, this will muddy the waters.
-- Harry Wood 12:49, 15 August 2009 (UTC)

Tracking Progress

I just responded to your message on [Talk:Addis_Ababa/Yahoo]. Do you watch that page anyways already? :) --Alexm 09:49, 17 August 2009 (UTC)

  • What is your opinion on the new approach, to track with relations? The good thing is, that they are well visualizable and offer more flexibility in areas with different complexity (many streets, only forest..) --Alexm 09:33, 18 August 2009 (UTC)

Meadow tags docs

I've just answered your message about my creation of the tag:natural=meadow wiki page, and why it wasnt on the Key:landuse page See Talk:Tag:natural=meadow --Jamicu 20:48, 24 August 2009 (UTC)

Converting between formats

i remove the duplicate data . all the item are in the Converting between formats article. many row have ? and blank cell France-59-valenciennes 01:27, 10 September 2009 (UTC)

India

Hi Harry,I mainly working on [8].We are working for more collaboration between Wikipedia and OSM. We are tring to mark all national expressways, national highways and state highways in India, which major part of the roads in India. So in later stage Wikipedia can use slippy image extension----Naveenpf 15:46, 25 September 2009 (UTC)

PL namespace

Hi! Can you look at this request? And second thing: is it possible to get admin rights here? OSM Wiki is a bit messy, I'm admin in Wikipedia, so I know what to do :). Regards, Yarl 21:23, 28 September 2009 (UTC)

Data are/is

Sorry to be pedantic, I know there are different camps on is/are. I don't feel strongly, but do reflexively edit. Jumbanho 17:35, 5 October 2009 (UTC)

Localisation Links in the Left Side Bar

Links in the SideBar with 'not EN' National settings links lead to Main_Page, but must lead to xx:Main_Page Do you know way to localising links in SideBar? May be you can made localisable links for all national, non-english users?
Also neeed to localise other links in Left Side Bar:

'xx:Main_Page' unstead Main_Page 
'Special:RecentChanges/xx' unstead 'Special:RecentChanges'
'RU:Main_Page&uselang=xx' unstead 'Main_Page'
'yyyyyyyyyyyyy' unstead 'Mapping_projects'
'xx:Map_Features&uselang=ru' unstead 'Map_Features'
'xx:Help:Contents&uselang=ru' unstead 'Help:Contents'

Can you fix it for all National pages? --Calibrator 09:18, 15 October 2009 (UTC)

I don't know of an easy way of fixing sidebar links to do this. We'd have to do a little hack in the wiki code I think. -- Harry Wood 09:36, 15 October 2009 (UTC)
Good News!
When translating messages with wfMsg(), it is not always clear what should be considered UI messages and what should be content messages. For example, for the English Wikipedia, there should be only one 'mainpage', so when getting the link for 'mainpage', we should treat it as site content and call wfMsgForContent(), but for rendering the text of the link, we call wfMsg(). The code behaves this way by default. However, sites like the Wikimedia Commons do offer different versions of 'mainpage' and the like for different languages. This array provides a way to override the default behavior.
In accordance with http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg, it need change only one string in LocalSettings.php file. Never edit DefaultSettings.php; copy appropriate lines to LocalSettings.php instead and amend them as appropriate.
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg = array();
change to
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg = array( 'mainpage-url', 'portal-url', 'mapfeatures-url', 'helppage' );
Can you do it? --Calibrator 17:22, 16 October 2009 (UTC)
Anybody home? One month this problem exist. But it can be resolve in 5 minutes! Change string please in DefaultSettings.php or LocalSettings.php file. --Calibrator 12:52, 16 November 2009 (UTC)
Please see Talk:Wiki#Russian SideBar have links to English pages -- Harry Wood 17:29, 16 November 2009 (UTC)
Now enabled wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg. Some language pages need fixes. --Firefishy 18:23, 10 March 2010 (UTC)

Sysop

Hi! I want to add some tools for wiki. Page Mediawiki:Editools is blocked, but I want to add this code :


<div class="plainlinks" style="margin-top:1px;border-width:1px;border-style:solid;border-color:#aaaaaa;padding:5px;"> <small> <charinsert>{{}} {{{}}} | [] [[]] [[Category:]] #REDIRECT [[]] <strike></strike> {{Tag||}} {{Relation|}} {{node|}} {{way|}} </small> </div>

Thanks --Esperanza 10:16, 28 October 2009 (UTC)

Looks like a cool trick. I have some other ideas for things to add there, but maybe we should wait until we move server. All of these things have a small hit on performance for our poor struggling wiki server (in this case, page load time, and query look-ups every time the edit box is shown). Hopefully we'll move soon -- Harry Wood 17:32, 16 November 2009 (UTC)

License change process (OSMF vote for Odbl)

Harry, would it be possible to make the crucial vote about the license change to Odbl more prominent on the wiki ? Like making a header announcement on all wiki pages (or at least on the main wiki page) with a link to the page Open Database License and the possible dead time for the contributors to accept the new license (end of Feb 2010 - still depending on the OSMF vote result). Accidentally, we could also add a link to the opinion poll ([9]), giving an additional chance for contributors to express their opinion. -- Pieren 16:20, 9 December 2009 (UTC)

You're better off talking to User:Firefishy since he is the wiki server admin and also on the License working group -- Harry Wood 16:42, 9 December 2009 (UTC)

Extensions

Hi Harry,

Having been going round giving the place a good clean (hopefully, good, anyway) I've come across a number of Extension suggestions in various templates and talk pages. One such being a request for Semantic Wiki. I'de also like to see Extension:InputBox added so i could create some simple "create" pages that loaded up a preload new edit page (unless you know another way to put an input box in a page that asks for a page name then creates a new page at that location with some preloaded text?)?

Whose the best person to ask for these extensions, and what are the chances of getting a response. Equally, whose best to ask regarding CSS edits (some of the templates used in here would be simpler if the CSS was in the main CSS block for the Wiki)?

I'm sure i could do most of this myself, but alas, I'm no admin, so don't have the rights.

Cheers Martin Renvoize 15:44, 26 December 2009 (UTC)

We've been tracking such requests on Talk:Wiki. I can make changes to the CSS (MediaWiki:common.css and MediaWiki:monobook.css) For installing extensions, or any other server admin changes, User:Firefishy is the main man to ask.  :...however we deliberately act slowly on these requests. They always involve trade-offs, often quite subtle. Trade-offs related to server performance, and also trade-offs to do with usability (most importantly the simplicity) of the wiki. -- Harry Wood 20:35, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
Any chance you could add
/* For template documentation */
.template-documentation {
    clear: both;
    margin: 1em 0 0 0;
    border: 1px solid #aaa; 
    background-color: #ecfcf4; 
    padding: 1em;
}
 
.thumbinner {
    min-width: 100px;
}
to MediaWiki:common.css please. It would make template documentation more readable, and answers a few points i've been asked recently in my talk page. Cheers Martin Renvoize 11:59, 5 January 2010 (UTC)

Reading through your other talk points, is there a plan to move the wiki to a shiney new server some time soon? Martin Renvoize 19:52, 26 December 2009 (UTC)

yes a move to new wiki hardware will improve performance. It might mean we can introduce other extensions, but mainly its about making the wiki cope better at peak times and serve the big Map Features page more quickly. I'm not sure if the move has happened yet. -- Harry Wood 20:35, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
Cheers for the response Harry, hope you had a good holiday.

Obviously extensions increase overheads, I just wonder if on occasions a well chosen extension may actually streamline the Wiki? The map features page is a slow point in the whole site, and does not help the server load being one of the most frequently visited pages. It's also not especially obvious how it's edited/created and who maintains it. I'm not sure, but I would guess that a Semantic wiki extension would allow a more dynamic page of this type, spreading load through the day instead of requesting lots of templates and expensive procedure calls at peek times?

Whitewater maps proposal

Also, Please see, WikiProject Whitewater Maps/Proposals, and comment? Martin Renvoize 15:39, 30 December 2009 (UTC)

Away on holiday at the moment, in case you´re wondering why I´m being unresponsive. Will answer your questions soon. -- Harry Wood 22:47, 1 January 2010 (UTC)
I shall take a look and comment over there -- Harry Wood 20:35, 4 January 2010 (UTC)

Great! We should meet up for a pint some time, would be interesting to put a face to the name. Your London based still right? Have you got a new job yet, I'm still on the job search having finished uni last September. Probably the main reason on around here so often, helps keep me sane while rattling off applications.

MediaWiki:Common.js

Hi, can you add some code to MediaWiki:Common.js? It's part of {{navbox}}, from en.wiki. I see that some code is already in common.js but collapsing is still not working. Code is below in comment. Yarl 16:11, 1 March 2010 (UTC)


Bad names

How hard would it be to scan for names with semicolons, rather than just long names? --NE2 17:49, 15 May 2010 (UTC)

For Project of the week/2010/May 02 you mean? I don't actually have a script for finding objects with long names at all. User:Rw did that bit. I fed his list of objects from the wiki page into my php script db. I can add other objects to the list if you want to give me a list of ids. -- Harry Wood 20:02, 16 May 2010 (UTC)

Icon pages

Hi, with your permission I would like to refactor Map Icons and related pages like Proposed Icons, WikiProject Pictograms and add my knowledge that I collected during this project of this week. --!i! 06:10, 31 July 2010 (UTC)

Yep. I think it's a good idea. The main thing that is needed, is an update to show all the different places where people are building iconsets. You need to be clear in the descriptions that, while coordination is a good idea, people will always go off and do their own thing with this, and that goes for people running renderers to use the icons too. If you make lots of icons, there's no guarantee that anyone will use them (and certainly no guarantee that they'll be used on the front page map)
Just be clear on one thing though... You don't need to ask my permission, or anyone else's permission before editing the wiki (I'll usually have an opinion, but I'm not in charge or anything) It's maybe important to figure who cares most about the page you want to change, and discuss things with them. In this case you can see in the history of the 'Map Icons' page that the page was largely set up by User:Ulf, so you might want to chat to him about it... although he's not in charge either.
-- Harry Wood 07:20, 31 July 2010 (UTC)
Well yes Harry you are right, but IMHO is it a question of polliteness and of good planning to ask the ones that worked on that page. I tried to ask as much people as possible. --!i! 06:22, 4 August 2010 (BST)

Moving Neat Stuff

Hi Harry, after cleaning I would like to move Neat Stuff either to Software/Unusual or Software/Other what do you prefer? --!i! 08:30, 20 August 2010 (BST)

What todo with Homebrew Page

Hi Harry, I outsourced the apps from Making_Tracks_with_Homebrew-ware so this is only a barebone anymore. But there are some hints and commands esp. for Linux. Do you have an idea where we could move this infos? I would like to make this page just to a redirect to Software. --!i! 08:21, 28 August 2010 (BST)

User:JohnSmith

Excert from my talk at Firefishy's talk page:

I feel User:JohnSmith's behaviour is bordering close up to vandalism, where he is reverting all attempts of getting progress in tags he have created. I am not sure how to bring this up. --Skippern 00:28, 29 August 2010 (BST)

Hi Skippern, can you post any examples? -- Firefishy 00:46, 29 August 2010 (BST)
shop=dive shop=deli shop=bed etc there are a whole dictionary of shop tags where he is reverting all attempts on edits --Skippern 02:51, 29 August 2010 (BST)
I see. Would you mind raising this with Harry Wood instead? I am too closely involved with the licensing debate with John Smith to comfortably get involved. -- Firefishy 03:09, 29 August 2010 (BST)

Is it anything you can do to help? --Skippern 03:49, 29 August 2010 (BST)

Landuse=wood

Was there any reason that you decided to remove all useful content from the landuse=wood page?

It was created back here: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2009-April/035853.html following a discussion on the mailing list which reached no agreement on how forests/woods should be tagged, but did agree that people were free to use their own tags.

Was this a unilateral decision? If so, it's effectively vandalism. Did you ask the original or subsequent authors of the page whether they felt it now no longer serves its purpose? Did you even bother to check the mailing lists for discussions?

SomeoneElse 12:28, 13 October 2010 (BST)

"Was there any reason" Well yes and I've gone to great lengths to extensively explain the reasons on the Tag:landuse=wood page. Have you read the page? Have you seen the discussion on Talk:Tag:landuse=wood?
"Did you ask the original or subsequent authors of the page". Yes. On Talk:Tag:landuse=wood. There's only one original author User:sward, and it seems he couldn't really remember why he thought it was a good idea to create the page.
If you follow through all the reasoning laid out there, I'd hope you would agree that landuse=wood is a "mistake tag" and we should move away from using it. Let us know your thoughts on the matter over at Talk:Tag:landuse=wood.
-- Harry Wood 13:13, 13 October 2010 (BST)

Did you even read the mailing list discussion that I linked to above? I don't think that a conversation between 3 wiki "editors" counts as an extensive discussion. SomeoneElse 12:06, 14 October 2010 (BST)

That's from April 2009. I can't actually see the full thread in the archive there for some reason. Anyway In June 2010 User:sward (Simon Ward? same guy I suppose) discussed things with me on Talk:Tag:landuse=wood.
I'm sorry if you felt that the discussion wasn't inclusive enough. I do a lot of work tidying things up and sorting out tag documentation on the wiki. I don't generally hang out on the mailing list. I know there's often missing link between people changing things on the wiki and discussing things on the mailing list, and I know that this sometimes creates problems. This was part of the reason why I went to great lengths leave behind a extensively explained rationale rather than just deleting the page.
Talk:Tag:landuse=wood is a pretty good place for discussion of the tag documentation we have on that wiki page. A discussion was actually kicked off my Frederick who observed that this (completely stupid) tag was documented and added to map features without a great deal of prior discussion. This has created a LOT of confusion, which is a shame.
Anyway I'd recommend you join in on Talk:Tag:landuse=wood because you're just messaging me directly here, but I don't really understand how your viewpoint fits in with what's been said there. I take it you think the tag is a good idea.
-- Harry Wood 14:12, 14 October 2010 (BST)

User Blocks

I've fixed the IP Block feature when blocking a user. This only effects NEW account created after this message. Checking the "Automatically block the last IP..." box will block the user's IP address for 24 hours. -- Firefishy 15:18, 1 February 2011 (UTC)

Thanks for Softare details

Hi Harry, thanks for adding more details to the software pages. Unfortunatly I hadn't the time to check out the single tools. --!i! This user is member of the wiki team of OSM 14:52, 23 February 2011 (UTC)

Yep well I think it's an important follow up task which somebody should do, to at least add a single sentence in the main content area on every one of these pages. You don't necessarily need to research any extra facts about the software. Just a top sentence of the form:
'''title''' ([http://link]) is an [[Android]] app {{stub}}
Quite a trivial thing to keep somebody occupied. I've already worked through the bottom half of the Android page.
-- Harry Wood 15:06, 23 February 2011 (UTC)

Distributary

In the talk page I put the link that you asked. Thanks in advance. --Pertile 23:45, 9 April 2011 (BST)

Spammers?

Can you help? I'm pretty sure http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Jeno is all spam. Should I let someone know about the problematic user? I didn't find an answer by searching. TIA MJR 01:21, 14 May 2011 (BST)

Thanks. I've blocked the account and seems the spam has already been reverted. Best to add these reports in future to the Spam page. -- Firefishy 10:46, 14 May 2011 (BST)
OK, thanks. I didn't do that because there wasn't a section on the Spam page for them. MJR 08:58, 16 May 2011 (BST)

Signatures on stats talk page

I think that everything is now attributed. Thanks for doing the sig-patrol; I think it is quite important to get down who requested/contributed what in talk. --Ceyockey 01:50, 4 August 2011 (BST)

Native languages page names

The Russian user Dr&mx is moving all translated pages of the RU: namespace to (partly) native language names. I tried to talk with him but he refuses to answer in English. He is also marking all his changes as "minor edit" and writing none or Russian edit summaries. Also have a look at his edits in the User: namespace! What should I do now? --phobie m d 00:11, 9 August 2011 (BST)

Openlayers simple example

I've added two extensions which hopefully are useful - how to restrict bounds and zoom levels (very useful for deploying a local slippymap), and how to fix the (awful) default style/location of the attribution text & scalebar.

If you think these should be booted off to subsidiary pages, then feel free!

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenLayers_Simple_Example#Restricting_the_bounds_.26_zoom_levels

--RichardMann 20:51, 17 August 2011 (BST)

Cool. sounds like useful additional examples. I think will take a look at this some time and maybe split examples onto more different pages yes. -- Harry Wood 23:53, 17 August 2011 (BST)


Schreib Deutsch, wenn angeblich Deutsch kannst. Ist ohnehin eine schönere Sprache als das englische.

Wiki purposes @ wikiproject cleanup

Thanks for your input at Talk:WikiProject Cleanup#Wiki purposes - asking for clarification. --Ceyockey 22:01, 10 September 2011 (BST)

Board membership

Harry -- Should I add your name to the table on Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Board_Elections considering your being named a member of the board in Mikel's email http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2011-November/001146.html ? --Ceyockey 23:20, 24 November 2011 (UTC)

...hmm, let me clarify. At present the table appears to be targeted to nominations. However, there is not a listing of all the current board members outside of the nominations process. That was what I was getting at, actually - the addition of a current board listing. --Ceyockey 23:23, 24 November 2011 (UTC)

Changing user name

Hi, I would change my user name here. Who is the "admin" that could do this? --Madeco 11:36, 9 December 2011 (UTC)

cache/spam

About our SPAM edit war, I'm prety sure you must have had a bad cache or something because I Couldn't see any Vitamin D spam on Pierens page.. I know it's not much use to discuss it now, but http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Pieren/diary/15082 really was clean the first time I looked. Erik Johansson 13:14, 24 January 2012 (UTC)

I see it cleared up now, but yes I could've been seeing it from a cache somewhere when I reverted you I guess. It was a comment with the word "Vitamid D" hyperlinked, but the text of the comment was such that it might've been easy to miss. A generic friendly message. Don't remember the exact text.
If it *was* still present then that would mean whatever mechanism the sysadmins used to delete the spammy user, it did not remove the user's spammy comment. Makes me wonder if there's many other spammy comments being not removed. Most spam seems to be diary entries, but we should link to the actual comment when we spot spam comments, so we can check this.
-Harry Wood 15:13, 24 January 2012 (UTC)
No there was definitely no friendly message there.. :-) Erik Johansson 15:28, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
Yeah probably I was just seeing a cache then. Sorry for the confusion. I've just looked up the keyboard shortcut for doing a full refresh on mac safari. That might help :-) (I've moved onto a mac recently) -- Harry Wood 16:22, 25 January 2012 (UTC)

mkgmap now supports address search

Hello Harry,

maybe you want to add the news that mkgmap is now able to create Garmin maps supporting address search? This feature was desperately requested by lots of Garmin users. What do you think? --WanMil 18:22, 27 January 2012 (UTC)

Sounds like good news! But d'you have a link to more information? I was expecting to find it on the blog on http://mkgmap.org.uk Can't even find a mention of it in the mailing list archive here -- Harry Wood 10:38, 28 January 2012 (UTC)
Seems like Steve has read this. There is now a new entry in the blog. I have asked Steve to add a link to a wiki page that describes a little bit more exactly what has to be done to compile a map. --WanMil 18:10, 28 January 2012 (UTC)

Armchair Mapping Page

Moved to Talk:Armchair mapping

Wiki namespace and i18n

Hi Harry. I know you are involved in the wiki maintenance. I would like to invite you in this discussion here about someone using lower case language prefix for the translated wiki pages. Thanks. --Pieren 11:37, 1 March 2012 (UTC)

Tag:waterway=riverbank

Ooops, my mistake, I shortcuted my mind to think osmarender tools = service. Good revert, sorry. sletuffe 14:18, 23 May 2012 (BST)

Translations

Hello, as you're part of the Wiki team you should be interested: I think that translation on this wiki would use some improvement and I've proposed a new system at Talk:Wiki Translation#Translate extension. I hope you can provide some feedback and thoughts (and help if we decide to go that way). Thanks, Nemo 10:37, 16 August 2012 (BST)

Thank you!

Hello Harry Wood!

I really have to thank you for the correction. In Slovenia we are really beginers and have learned during the translation how to edit the page. So I muss admit, this was really nice to have support from other to correct our mistakes.

Greatings from Slovenia (now from Turkey, where we learn to map OSM better)!

Sergeja

Cleaning up the wiki

Please take part in this discussion :) --★ → Airon 90 12:58, 12 November 2012 (UTC)

Saarburg Mapping Photo

Hi Harry,

I added some words [[10]] Is it ok for you ... or do you need more?

5 young turkish ladies mapping in Turkey

Hi Harry, http://www.facebook.com/manfred.reiter1/posts/119947298177295?comment_id=87946&notif_t=like

5 students, here teacher and a Comenius teacher mapping in Turkey :) and they found the track on a Garmin.

interested for a photo of the week? I can deliver names and geolocation. :-)

cheers

Manfred aka Fredao

Oh that link doesn't work. Maybe because I'm not friends with you. I've friend requested you. -- Harry Wood (talk) 16:42, 1 February 2013 (UTC)

upps sorry, I think we must tune the side ;-) -- User:Fredao 18:43, 5 February 2013‎

Ah yes. I see it now. Great picture!
It's best if you, or the person who took the photo, can upload it to the wiki and state which license the image is released with (recommend CC-BY-SA 2.0 or just "public domain") But let me know if you need help doing that.
-- Harry Wood (talk) 17:28, 1 February 2013 (UTC)
(Uploaded (File:T garmin.jpg)
If CC-BY-NC is possible ok, if not it can be CC-BY-SA 2.0 :) -- User:Fredao 18:43, 5 February 2013‎
Well I think it's allowed on the wiki but for Featured Images we would like these to be open and re-useable, and so we are disallowing "non-commercial" restrictions there (some background on that). We're not expecting massively exploitative commercial uses of these images, but restricting commercial use is problematic. I hope it's OK I've gone ahead and put a CC-BY-SA 2.0 label on there (File:T garmin.jpg) -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:45, 6 February 2013 (UTC)
And we need to know what's going on in the picture. A description, which I can help turn into a snappy caption. Then I'm sure we can have it as image of the week!
-- Harry Wood (talk) 17:28, 1 February 2013 (UTC)
from left to right: students: Şeyma, Kader, Neslihan,(teachers: Manfred, Miray) Simge, Özge
Our project aims to tackle the issue of gender-stereotyping. Students from Karacabey, Turkey,
learning how to use a tracking device (Garmin) to improve OSM in Turkey.
The girls were tracking about the ways nearby the waterfall which named Suuçtu.
The picture was taken at a leisure=picnic next the waterall and not in the City of Sarnıckoy. :)
The turkish students saw the track on the OSM map and marked the picnic place, the parking and will transfer it via JOSM to OSM.
-- User:Fredao 18:43, 5 February 2013‎

Text from Necdet ... I added the main items to my descrition from 5th February :) ... And in the text above I corrected the location. (I have the track and the waypoints. ;-) )

Hi Harry, First of all i feel so excited that one of the picture of our project which was taken in Turkey, will be the image of the week :) The picture was taken in a village of Mustafakemalpasa,Bursa,Turkey. The name of the village is Sarnıckoy. The girls were tracking about the ways nearby the waterfall which named Suuçtu. Of course with the help of their guide Manfred ;) Thank you so much for your contribution. Necdet

4 students from Azores Islands travelled to Germany to have a OSM Training

http://bit.ly/XYueQi if you are interested - I can give you more info in english

cheers Manfred

Another corker! Ive added here Featured image proposals#Angra do Heroísmo Azores -- Harry Wood (talk) 09:59, 8 March 2013 (UTC)

No image of the week, this week?

I can only see Template:Iotw image/2013-11 ;-)

Nice move!

Hi Harry,

Sorry for having misplaced a comment some months ago on the main page, I didn't realize that I was not editing the right page...

I already noticed that on this Wiki, just after logging in, the user was redirected to the main page instead of the last visited one! thus my modification at the wrong place, editing a bit too fast through browser tabs. (I don't know if this behaviour still occurs...)

Erhhh... I haven't found back which article I was commenting on, but you did it, thanks a lot! I promise not doing the same mistake once more in the future. Teuxe (talk) 17:34, 19 March 2013 (UTC)

S'allright. Hopefully you'll get a reply there now hey? :-) -- Harry Wood (talk) 17:59, 19 March 2013 (UTC)

Wiki admin : I cannot move a page

I cannot move the page FR:Tag:tourism=alpine hut to FR:Tag:tourism=alpine_hut (notice the underscore instead of space). wikimedia tells me that I cannot move a page to itself ! Could you do something as wiki admin ? --Pieren (talk) 12:28, 18 October 2013 (UTC)

OK fixed that for you. The wiki page is at the correct name and doesn't need to be moved, it's just there was a problem with DISPLAYTITLE. This directive should be set automatically by the template Template:Fr:ValueDescription but you've uncovered a little bug there which I've just fixed. -- Harry Wood (talk) 13:19, 18 October 2013 (UTC)
Thanks. --Pieren (talk) 13:47, 18 October 2013 (UTC)

Notes

Hi. I've seen that you started the page about the new notes feature. This diary entry tells me that a section is probably missing there for the contributors trying to close the "notes". Could you add a small section (your english is better than mine) for the contributors, about "communication" and "control", etc. Or maybe a link forward to another page explaining what to add or not (privacy, verifiable, copyrighted marterial, etc) ? Pieren (talk) 13:47, 19 November 2013 (UTC)

Talk:Typhoon_Haiyan

Hey mate, could you please(!) (but no hurry) have a look at Talk:Typhoon_Haiyan? First asking for support and then not catering for the volunteers seems to be not useful for me. ;-) --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 01:52, 21 November 2013 (UTC)

Thank you! :-) The intro message seems to be a good idea. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 13:29, 21 November 2013 (UTC)

Approved but forgotten proposal re whitewater tagging?

Hi, I am clueless about this - hope you have an idea? The proposal would significantly impact the established tagging of whitewater features, it seems to have been approved although I am not at all sure it met the formal requirements (minimum vote count). Now it awaits "cleanup". Stumbled on it when creating waterfalls in OSM. RicoZ (talk) 22:27, 30 November 2013 (UTC)

iotw for week 52 (2013)

Hello Harry
Please comment on the Ballonmap-with-OpenLayers-Proposal. The description in en and de would be ready.
Happy Xmas! --LordOfMaps (talk) 17:02, 23 December 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for your comment and for your iotw! :) --LordOfMaps (talk) 19:02, 23 December 2013 (UTC)
But why is there no iotw-template-page? --LordOfMaps (talk) 19:12, 23 December 2013 (UTC)
Do you mean the stuff which I mentioned in Talk:Featured_image_proposals#Optimum_time_line_of_IOTW_discussion_and_decision? --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 21:56, 23 December 2013 (UTC)
Sorry that wasn't expressed well. I meant the {{featured date|2013|52}} on the file page you have added this night. --LordOfMaps (talk) 09:04, 24 December 2013 (UTC)
It just was forgotten, I guess. Feel free to add it if you find a featured image without it. --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 12:04, 24 December 2013 (UTC)

Where should I report spam-Users for blocking?

like: User:Kuzhuzhu
--LordOfMaps (talk) 08:13, 31 December 2013 (UTC)

Usually spammers seem to create a new page for their spam, so you did the right thing in that case. Use Template:Delete on the spam page. This means that the wiki admins will see it pretty soon, and they will delete the page and also block the user.
Blocking the user can be important, but normally not so much, because spammers do a one-hit registration, then spam, and that user never comes back. A more unusual situation would be where a spammer is editing an existing page repeatedly with spam. Obviously in this case it's important to block them. You could list them on the Spam page to flag that up.
There's a few admin people who are quite attentive about wiki spam, but maybe less so over the Christmas period.
-- Harry Wood (talk) 11:36, 31 December 2013 (UTC)

Key:postal_code revert

You're right. It "doesn't make sense to link completely different tag docs in a sentence about [that] tag."
But why did you delete the added See also section? --LordOfMaps (talk) 18:39, 5 January 2014 (UTC)

Apologies. I didn't mean to revert that bit.
Anyway I've just rewritten the top bit of Key:postal_code to hopefully be a bit clearer and include instructions on when to use Tag:boundary=postal_code
-- Harry Wood (talk) 19:39, 5 January 2014 (UTC)

thanks also for the small bits!

Grammar checking with explanation, super! Thanks, mate! --Aseerel4c26 (talk) 23:33, 19 January 2014 (UTC)

Native English speaker needed

Hi
We need the help of a native English speaker like you for a new tag-value: How would you call a person which comes to an emergency ward on its own / not in an ambulance? See: Talk:Proposed_features/Tag:emergency=emergency_ward_entrance#emergency_ward_entrance=private_persons
Thanks --LordOfMaps (talk) 10:58, 23 February 2014 (UTC)

Unificação no prefixo Pt — Você é a favor ou contra?

Olá Harry Wood!

Você usa português neste wiki e por isso está sendo convocado para a importante discussão sobre a unificação no prefixo Pt.

Alexandre Magno (talk) 00:33, 31 March 2014 (UTC)

oh yeah. I remember a very old discussion about that... I've dug it out and linked it from there. - Harry Wood (talk) 04:32, 31 March 2014 (UTC)

reorganisation of this wiki's navigation

Hello, I write to you because you are part of the Wiki Team. I would like to establish a navigation concept for this wiki, lead by use cases. I wrote an example main page and an example navigation page (for the use case 'contribute map data'). In January, I wrote a correspendent proposal on Talk:Wiki_organisation, with some but not much feedback. I would be happy if you could add your feedback in order to decide either to refuse the proposal or to proceed. In the latter case I will incorporate all feedback, write the two missing navigation pages ('about' and 'use') and finally I would like to change the main page. Best wishes, --Cantho (talk) 07:20, 8 April 2014 (UTC)

Now I proposed to apply the proposed changes to the main page. Your feedback/ vote is welcome. If you want to respond but don't have the time right now, please give a notice about when you think you can respond. Have a nice day --Cantho (talk) 10:12, 23 May 2014 (UTC)
Hello Harry Wood, after one month of vote nine people supported the proposal, one person was neutral (given reason: no time to go into detail) and nobody oposed it. The last vote is three weeks ago. I think, the proposal is ready to go online. There were some (smaller) suggestions, as there will always be, but I think it's good to implement the changes as they were proposed and voted on, and then people can continue on improvements if they want. I don't have the right to change the main page, can you please do the change? Have a nice day --Cantho (talk) 20:22, 22 June 2014 (UTC)
It would be nice to get this out this weekend if you have a spare few minutes. --RobJN (talk) 11:46, 28 June 2014 (UTC)

Czech localization of Main SideBar

Hello, could you please change the translation of the Czech (cs) version of the Side bar on the main wiki page?

  • Main Page URL - Cs:Main_Page
  • The map TEXT - Mapa
  • Map Feaures TEXT - Legenda mapy
  • Map Features URL Cs:Map_Features
  • Contributors TEXT - Přispěvatelé
  • Blogs TEXT - Blogy
  • Shop TEXT - Obchod
  • Donations TEXT - Příspěvky
  • Donations URL - Cs:Donations

' Thank you. Chrabros (talk) 06:47, 15 April 2014 (UTC)

OK. I had a go at doing that. Not sure if it's all correct. The 'Příspěvky' link doesn't seem to pick up on the Cs:Donations value in MediaWiki:Sitesupport-url/cs for example. -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:20, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
Hi, thank you. The 'Donations' ('Příspěvky') link really points to Donations instead of Cs:Donations. But I really do not know why. But it is much better than it was. :-) Chrabros (talk) 08:09, 17 April 2014 (UTC)

Tile usage policy revert

You did revert the addition I made (a new item in the list "Setting up your own tile server": * ProxySimplePHP5, a proxy written in PHP caching other tile servers") for following reasons: remove that addition. It's a list of top three recommendations. Besides caching proxies don't actually solve our server strain all that well. I don't see the first point (it's an unlimited list, to keep it small is OK, but I haven't added 100 items). "that well", is it a point of view or a fact based on some observations? In the use case I have, having a cache than expires every 2 hours (as it is by default if I remember right) or of let's say 1 month (in the case of TMS, it's a background image, the objects put on the top (POI for instance) are more important, in my specific use case, the end user is looking at more or less predefined areas where the POI are located).

So in that case changing the validity period should really help, or did I miss some point?

IMO, it's OK to keep it outside the list as "secondary choice": improving the server load some how is better than not at all, isn't it? And if you want to reserve this second choice to some use case, it's OK too. --Nospam2005 (talk) 20:25, 19 May 2014 (UTC)

The thing is that page should probably be locked really because it's an official policy page. The sysadmins wrote it, and use it to link people to. They're not really inviting lots of new ideas to be added to that page.
I reckon this addition is a bit so-so, and if we add that then lots of other folks will expect to see their pet projects added to the list of suggestions. It's that kind of problem. But I don't really feel all that strongly about it. Why don't you move this discussion to the Talk:Tile usage policy page? and we'll see what the actual authors of the policy think
-- Harry Wood (talk) 22:58, 19 May 2014 (UTC)
yes, an official policy page should be locked and only the discussion page should be unlocked. I moved the discussion as suggested to Talk:Tile_usage_policy#Alternative OpenStreetMap_Tile_Providers
Feel free to remove this discussion from here.
--Nospam2005 (talk) 18:08, 20 May 2014 (UTC)

Documentation template on redirect pages

Please reconsider this old revert . Documentation templates can be useful on redirect pages because the iD editor and taginfo still read them (example on taginfo). Though I don't think they were around when you reverted that. --Jgpacker (talk) 17:13, 22 May 2014 (UTC)

Aha I see. Reverted my revert! -- Harry Wood (talk) 17:43, 22 May 2014 (UTC)

Fix of Main Page

As figured out in Talk:Main_Page#Unbalanced_tag, there's a fix to be done on Main Page, the same as already done on the old proposal. Could you add the fix to Main Page? Thanks --Cantho (talk) 20:16, 10 July 2014 (UTC)

Suggestion: Favicon for the wiki

Alexandre Magno (talk) 14:01, 30 July 2014 (UTC)

Bengali localization of Main SideBar

Hello, could you please add the translation for the bengali (bn) version of the Side bar on the main page?

--Aftab (talk) 13:57, 7 August 2014 (UTC)

DONE. Thanks for the translations! -- Harry Wood (talk) 14:05, 7 August 2014 (UTC)