Talk:Mapping Tricks and tips
From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Discuss Tricks and tips page here:
One second interval?
Why a one second interval. Wouldn't a distance interval be better? --Korea 11:43, 10 July 2007 (BST)
- I used 5 second interval while I was on foot plodding around a town shopping with the girlfriend, but actually I think there's a few places where more frequent dots would've been helpful even then, so I guess I should follow this tip, and always use 1 second intervals. I don't know the answer to your question. Would a 'distance interval' be better? -- Harry Wood 10:25, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
- In towns I tend to use 2s/3s on foot, 1s on the bike. On long rural roads or country walks this is serious overkill, so I set the eTrex to "auto" (i.e. log more points on corners, fewer on straights), ideally with "More often" or "Most often", and that's plenty good enough. --Richard 10:53, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
- I second this. For me best results are 3-5 seconds for walking, 1-3 seconds for cycling, auto (most often) for car. 1 second intervall gives totally crappy zig-zag tracks --Meier 19:20, 20 February 2008 (UTC)
Split this into separate articles?
Hey - in case if anyone checks this, two comments:
- where I come from we call these "tips and tricks". (If someone else changes this, please redirect from the current title)
- this article/page isn't gonna scale too well. I suggest the tips'n'tricks each get a page, and we use a tag/category to let Mediawiki aggregate them automagically into an index
Agreement? --Hubne 12:24, 3 July 2008 (UTC)
- I agree. We could write a separate article per tip. That can happen gradually, so if we've gone away created an article for one of the tips, and we can then move most of the text off this page, with a 'For more information' link. Do this for the longer tips first. That's same approach which should be (but isn't always) followed for FAQ
- Regarding name of the page. Yes it should be "tips and tricks"
- ...but actually I propose we rename this page "Surveying tips and tricks". All the tips are about surveying (the bit you do before "editing". one half of the "mapping" process). It's good that this page is focussed on surveying. It would be bad if people started adding tips and tricks about using editors, and then more tips about rendering and development and then we end up with yet another wiki page with hopelessly wide scope (like Using OpenStreetMap and Software. These page titles are bad because they're not specific enough)
- -- Harry Wood 14:13, 25 August 2009 (UTC)