This should probably be rendered as a symbol overlay, similar to the current toilets or recycling nodes.
I had some ideas for more details to put into subkeys. (Maybe I should say this in the Proposed_features/Bench_detail page, but that seems to be in the voting stage already.)
- Some benches are dedicated to the memory of some person. I always find it interesting to read those. Is it an idea to create a tag for that? It might be useful for identification of the bench too. Or are there privacy issues? Anyway, just an idea.
- Perhaps more useful piece of information: some benches have been made anti-homeless, i.e. bars across the bench that prevent people from lying on it (e.g. here). I find those less comfortable usually. Also, it's not as nice to sit on it with two people, and some people might not fit on them if the bars are too close to each other.
Mtcv 11:20, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- Oh no! More "rich people" that show how much they detest poor people! They detest them so much that in their ignorance they make bad benches for themselves with no backrest! Logictheo 18:28, 28 September 2009 (UTC)
backrest=yes/no, a great idea
I just wanted to say that the backrest option is a great idea. I have problems with my back, and other parts of the spine too. Logictheo 06:08, 29 June 2009 (UTC)
- What is implied by default? --Pander (talk) 07:24, 7 October 2013 (UTC)
How about picnic tables with benches? It's in a way more than only a bench. --Kslotte 18:56, 15 July 2009 (UTC)
- I believe there's already an extra tag for that with amenity=picnic_table. Not too sure anymore though, better research it.
Why only as node?
The current feature only allows benches to be tagged as nodes. However, I recently came across a very long bench (~50 m I guess) which would be more suitable tagged as way. Are there any cavets to look for? I couldn't think of any, apart from the rendering issue of course. What would have to be done to make this open for suggestions (the approve/oppose scheme, I'm new to map features voting). Xeen 20:06, 4 January 2010 (UTC)
- I agree, sometimes there are very long benches ... maybe its possible to tag an line as bench ?? --Gauron 11:36, 4 October 2010 (BST)
- Well it seems to be documented as node, way, or area now (a bench as an area??) I'll write a sentence stating that it would normally be suitable to map it as a node though - Harry Wood 11:04, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
in osmarender, currently (2011/08) it is render ok.
Render on OSM
All nodes with this property are not displayed on OSM map.
--ComputerHotline 16:03, 6 May 2012 (BST)
They are, but only at the tightest zoom levels. I think they need to be displayed a couple of levels lower. I've wasted lots of time logging positions of benches (and bins) that didn't show on screen when I surveyed, only to find later that they're already mapped but had not been rendered. If anybody knows how to pass that on to the renderer team it would be good if they could do so.
Please note, that there is now a key direction. I assume (not mentioned) that direction=north means that a person sitting on this bench will look northwards. Could anybody, please, confirm this; and possibly add this hint to this lemma?
Many benches, especially in parks, have an inscription such as "Donated by..." or "In memory of..."
Should we have an optional inscription=... tag, or maybe more specific tags such as donor=... or memorial=... ?