|amenity = bench|
|A place for people to sit; allows room for several people.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A place for people to sit; allows room for several people. Benches are used for resting for an interval of time. They can be important to people with mobility impairments (e.g. needs a cane or crutches) who need a place to rest for a couple minutes while traveling on foot. Additionally, benches are often a suitable substitute for everyday activities like eating, reading, etc. when a picnic table is not available.
How to map
- backrest=yes/no - Whether the bench has a backrest to lean against. For people who have problems with their back this could be useful information.
- direction=* - indicates the direction which the bench (or a person sitting on it) faces. Use a compass point (e.g. "NW") or value in degrees (e.g. "315"). Can be used on benches mapped as nodes or lines .
- side=left/right - For complex benches mapped as lines where direction=* is insufficient or confusing, side=* can be used to indicate where the bench faces, based on the line direction.
- two_sided=yes - For benches that can be sat on from both sides.
- seats=* - Number of seats. (Only use this tag if the seats are somehow separated from each other, for example by armrests.)
- capacity=* - Number of people who can comfortably sit on the bench at one time.
- length=* - The length of the bench.
- colour=* - Main colour of the bench (the paint colour if it is painted, or the color of the underlying material)
- material=* - What is the bench (seating) made from? e.g. wood, steel, stone.
- surface=* - The surface of the seating if different from material=*
- covered=yes - roofed / covered
- operator=* - Who maintains the bench?
- inscription=* - The inscription or dedication on the bench (Sometimes in connection with start date start_date=* information)
- openbenches:id=* - memorial bench's entry ID on Open Benches.
- bench:type=* - specify the kind of bench you are mapping
|Planter with a bench around it (example)|
Wanderreitkarte - rendered in the online map
- JOSM - rendered with an icon of a backless bench, the special mappaint style Bench can be added
- Röntgen — , with backrest: , without backrest:
- bench=yes/no - Used to indicate whether the feature has any benches or not
- memorial=bench - Specifies a memorial as a bench
- leisure=picnic_table - A table with benches for food and rest
- leisure=bleachers - Raised, tiered rows of benches found at spectator events
- amenity=lounger - An object for people to lie down
- playground=youth_bench - A special type of a bench, a playground facility with seating at different, age-appropriate seat heights
- Approved features/Bench - approved proposal for amenity=bench
- Proposed features/Public Transport#Platform - approved proposal for bench=yes/no
- Proposed features/Bench detail - originally rejected proposal for optional tags
- MapContrib theme for benches and picnic tables - Simple online editor to add or edit benches.