|The colour associated with the object|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Use colour=* to indicate the official colour associated with the object, for example the colour typically associated with a public transportation route. It is also often used to describe the real colour of an object like amenity=bench.
How to map
The value should be:
(hex triplet), e.g. #FF0000 for red. This RGB code allows to describe about 16 millions distinct colours.
- A shorter RGB code with only 3 hex digits is also possible: it is equivalent to the 6-digit RGB codes where each individual digits (of the 3-digit code) are doubled (see examples in the table below). This short code (also standard in HTML and CSS) allows describing 4096 distinct colours.
- a CSS color name (mostly American English color names) in lower case (generic names should be preferred for non-specific colors, e.g. red instead of firebrick), and without any dash separator (when using composite colour names in the "Extended color set" in the CSS specification).
The following 16 "basic color names" (standardized in CSS for use in HTML and SVG) are recommended for best support in various map renderers.
|Sample||RGB hex||W3C color name||Sample||RGB hex||W3C color name|
|#000000 (or #000)||black||#FFFFFF (or #FFF)||white|
|#808080||gray (or grey)||#C0C0C0||silver|
|#800000||maroon||#FF0000 (or #F00)||red|
|#808000||olive||#FFFF00 (or #FF0)||yellow|
|#008000||green||#00FF00 (or #0F0)||lime|
|#008080||teal||#00FFFF (or #0FF)||aqua (or cyan)|
|#000080||navy||#0000FF (or #00F)||blue|
|#800080||purple||#FF00FF (or #F0F)||fuchsia (or magenta)|
A more extensive list of color keywords has been specified by the CSS Color Module Level 3, which is supported by all major internet browsers (this list also add "colour" synonyms for British English, where the basic color set uses American English names). However, please keep in mind that these will not be recognized by all renderers. Hex triplets as described above are preferred in this case.
Note: There is also an alternate spelling color=* in lesser use for the tag name, see a comparison in Taginfo. "Color" is the alternative used in the American English spelling, however the community usually prefers to use the British spelling for consistency. This alternative name is listed in Deprecated features. However the names in value should still follow the W3C standard.
- Color names for CSS (used in HTML and SVG) (official W3.org recommendation)
- RGB color code calculator
- RGB Color Browser
- Color names
- Html Colors
- HTML color names (alternate, not recommended)
- "ColorPick Eyedropper" Extension for Google Chrome, which allows easily pick color from screen. A color picker is also implemented without this extension in the Developer Console, in the Styles pane.
- Colour gradient picker
- Sass Color Generator - lighten, darken, saturate, desaturate