Colorado Parks Import Plan
Colorado Parks Import is an import of Colorado front range community datasets of park and open space boundaries. The datasets are shapefiles covering municipal parks in cities and counties in Colorado, USA. The import is currently (as of July 27, 2019) at the planning stage.
The goal is to improve mapping of municipal and county open space and protected areas, and to improve boundaries of areas that are currently mapped.
City of Boulder
Data source site: https://bouldercolorado.gov/open-data/city-of-boulder-osmp-lands/
Data license: https://bouldercolorado.gov/open-data/terms-of-use
Type of license: Creative Commons CC Zero license (CC0 1.0).
Link to permission: "The City of Boulder grants you a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, modify, and distribute the datasets in all current and future media and formats for any lawful purpose."
ODbL Compliance verified: yes
One-time import of current park boundaries and types. Other park features such as trails, trailheads, facilities, etc. will NOT be imported as a part of this process.
Data Reduction & Simplification
Existing shapefiles are in good order. The data will be simplified in the following steps.
- Download shape file and filter for applicable shapes. In the City of Boulder dataset, this includes OSMP lands with Public Access = Yes, and Managed = OSMP. Areas not for public access, or under joint management, will not be imported.
- Merge adjacent parcels of land into contiguous blocks. OSMP lands are a network of parcels that are not relevant to OSM users.
- Remove sections of OSMP land that have no recreation function - for instance, some are simply leased to a farmer. Only retaining sections that have recreation functions/trailheads/paths/etc.
- Delete all pre-existing database tags, they are not relevant, or needed for future maintenance.
- Recreate relations of type=boundary for each open space area.
Open Space and Mountain Parks closed ways and/or relationswill receive the following tags:
- protect_class=5 or 6 (Depending on the nature of the open space and its use)
- protection_title=Open Space (or Mountain Park)
- operator=City of Boulder (or relevant authority)
Describe how you'll use changeset tags in the import.
Data Merge Workflow
List all factors that will be evaluated in the import.
Detail the steps you'll take during the actual import.
Information to include:
- Step by step instructions
- Changeset size policy
- Revert plans
Identify your approach to conflation here.
Add your QA plan here.
The email to the Imports mailing list was sent on YYYY-MM-DD and can be found in the archives of the mailing list at