|Specifying the link to the official website for a feature.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The website=* tag can be used to provide the full URL to the official website for the related features, be it a building, park railway or anything else.
For small format websites (designed for smaller displays, reduced bandwidth, or mobile touchscreens) one may in addition add website:mobile=*.
Websites URL usually follow this syntax :
http(s)://(www.)domain.tld/(page)(?parameters)(#anchor), where parts in parenthesis may be optional.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/help would be a good website URL. Its format is valid, it's a direct link to the wanted resource and a trustworthy website.
- Use as short an URL as possible. Choose simple URLs over complex URLs if they basically point to the same content. For example, use http://bahn.de/ instead of http://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml, as both will get you to the front page. Websites are frequently redesigned, so strive for the most "robust" URL that works.
- Include the scheme (http or https). www.openstreetmap.org/help would be incorrect, because the scheme is missing
- Don't use URL shorteners. URLs such as https://goo.gl/x1fz3h can be misleading as they hide the real URL, can contain advertisements or even malware.
- Take care when copying links from a search engine result. Search results URL also hide information about the final destination of the link, and are not meant for permanent linking. A very bad example would be https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s...
- The HTTPS version of a website should be used when available, as it enhances security and privacy for users. This should look like this: https://openstreetmap.org/help
- RFC 1738 section 2 generic URL syntax
- RFC 1738 section 3.1 common Internet scheme syntax - the definition of the http and https URL schemes base on this
- RFC 1738 section 3.3 The http URL scheme
- RFC 2818 section 2.4 The https URL scheme
- Proposed features/External links - different tagging ideas
- wikipedia=* Links towards wikipedia articles.
- url=* - A more general tag. Any URL other than the main official one used in the website=* tag
- Key:contact - The contact:* namespace with contact:website=*