Diversity Quarterly Project/2018 Q2
The first project, is toilets, specifically gender based marking. Where is a male, female or unisex toilets. In progress during April, May and June 2018.
Description of Problem
How to map here
Finding Data to survey
Here are some Overpass Turbo queries to find data to map. Click the link, move the map to an area you want to look at, and press run (top left).
- All toilets
- All toilets w/o enough gender details This is what to map. It's all amenity=toilets, excluding those that have unisex=yes or have both a male=yes/no and female=yes/no.
- all toilets without a female/male tag. Toilets with one of, but not both gender tags (male=*, female=*). Double check them
Then go out in the world, and check what the toilet is like, and update OSM as appropriate.
- Map showing (in)sufficent mapped items - green = tagging OK, red = not tagged OK. Make all the points green!
Double checking unisex=* tag
About 6 months ago a bug in JOSM's validator & auto fix was fixed, which suggested changing "female=yes male=yes" on toilets to "unisex=yes", which is actually quite different. It has been fixed and won't suggest that again. If you see a toilets with unisex=yes you should double check and fix it if needed.
Can the presets of editors (iD? JOSM? Vespucci?) be updated to include toilet genderings?
- As start - is there already open issue (or closed, with wontfix?) for that on issue trackers of mentioned projects explaining what should be added? For Vespucci it would be https://github.com/simonpoole/beautified-JOSM-preset for iD it would be https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues
Old iD issue on this: https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/3954
StreetComplete task for this? There is one or two 'quests' for wheelchair toilets & general toilets
- As above - issue tracker is on https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues
- Refused as there is no known region where less than 80% of answers would be "both male and female users may use toilet" - https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/546
- It seems that nobody opened issue for distinguishing male=yes, female=yes and unisex=yes (note that one would need to mention regions where unisex=yes has decent popularity, say above 20%)
Linking up with other sites/data
Link up and talk to other sites/projects/groups outside OSM who are doing similar things, e.g. https://www.refugerestrooms.org/
Current tagging statistics
Total All objects tagged amenity=toilets, others show tag combinations. #: Number of objects with this tag. %: Percentage of all objects with this tag(s). Δ: (delta) Total change in the number since the start.
The date refers to the status at the start of the day.
|Date (2018)||Total||female=*||male=*||unisex=*||female=* + male=*||female=* + male=* + unisex=*|
|Start (16 Apr)||207,282||9,291||4.48%||9,235||4.45%||17,454||8.42%||7,143||3.44%||714||0.34%|
SQL query that produces the data. Here be dragons
psql -At -d osm -c "select '|-', to_char(now(), 'FMDD Mon'), to_char(total, 'FM999,999') as total, to_char(total-207282, ' FMSG999,999') as total_delta, to_char(f, 'FM999,999') as f, to_char((f*100.)/total, 'FM999.99%') as f_per, to_char(f-9291, ' FMSG999,999') as f_delta, to_char(m, 'FM999,999') as m, to_char((m*100.0)/total, 'FM99.99%') as m_per, to_char(m-9235, ' FMSG999,999') as m_delta, to_char(u, 'FM999,999'), to_char((u*100.0/total), 'FM999.99%') as u_per, to_char(u-17454, ' FMSG999,999') as u_delta, to_char(mf, 'FM999,999') as mf, to_char((mf*100.0)/total, 'FM999.99%') as mf_per, to_char(mf-7143, ' FMSG999,999') as mf_delta, to_char(mfu, 'FM999,999') as mfu, to_char((mfu*100.0)/total, 'FM999.99%') as mfu_per, to_char(mfu-714, ' FMSG999,999') as mfu_delta from (select count(*) as total, sum(case when u then 1 else 0 end) as u, sum(case when m then 1 else 0 end) as m, sum(case when f then 1 else 0 end) as f, sum(case when m and f then 1 else 0 end) as mf, sum(case when m and f and u then 1 else 0 end) as mfu from (select tags?'unisex' as u, tags?'male' as m, tags?'female' as f from planet_osm_point where amenity='toilets' union all select tags?'unisex' as u, tags?'male' as m, tags?'female' as f from planet_osm_polygon where amenity='toilets') as details) as summary;" | sed "s/|/ \n\r|/g"
Please write down here anything that has been achieved in this project so far!