|Author:||Elektrobit Automotive GmbH|
|License:||Proprietary (free of charge)|
|Languages:||German and English|
Free multi-purpose navigation app
EB Dirigo was a free multi-purpose navigation app, based on OpenStreetMap (OSM) data. Currently, EB Dirigo appears to be a dead, no longer existing projects. It was available for Android smartphones. At present, maps are available for all European countries. Multi-purpose indicates that the app provides features beyond navigation. The additional features include the ability to use the smartphones´ GPS to track routes, take pictures, and record voice memos (Audio mapping) or traffic signs while driving. The collected data are used to improve OSM. EB Dirigo also has its own web portal: https://www.ebdirigo.com. The web portal is the mappers’ tool for mappers to importing collected data into OSM, using well-known editors of the OSM community: JOSM or iD editor.
Download and Installation
- App available for Android 4.4 smartphones
- Free download, including all available features
OpenStreetMap is an open source project. Support issues should be divided into map quality issues and software issues. Example for a map quality issue: Some data is missing in OSM and therefore, the navigation choses a route that is slightly longer. OSM is based on continuous improvement: each update will improve the routing accordingly. The idea behind EB Dirigo is to use OSM data not only as a basis for navigation, but to enable the OSM community to improve the map itself by providing the necessary features in the app and in the web portal. For software issues, consult EB Dirigo´s FAQ (https://www.ebdirigo.com/faq) or contact the EB Dirigo support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free navigation based on EB navigation technology and OSM map data
- Mapping functions including traffic sign recognition for OSM
- Voice guidance in multiple languages
- Search for Points of interest (POI)
- Speed limits displayed in the map, based on OSM map data or traffic sign recognition
- Route options for freeways, toll roads, walking, and cycling
- 3D terrain model or 2D map