Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of infamy on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
- 1 Meta stuff:
- 2 Global Noise Pollution Map
- 3 Unmapped towns in Brazil
- 4 Psychedelic intersections
- 5 Fort McMurray Map contribution
- 6 Kyrgyzstan Tien Shan OSM workshop
- 7 OpenStreetMap in Cuba Conference
- 8 SOTM France, CZ+SK
- 9 Kathmandu Living Labs at Understanding Risk
- 10 First Central American bus map
- 11 Children empowering themselves through maps
- 12 tourist map Pisa
- 13 OSM stats visualization with Arduino
- Image sources / places that might contain interesting OSM stuff:
- Dates to be taken note of when choosing a featured image
- Template:Calendar - Upcoming events that might call for an image
- Parked image proposals. Proposals which didn't go anywhere (but may still be rescued back onto this page)
Global Noise Pollution Map
Visualization of noise pollution for the entire world based on top of OSM data. Link: http://lukasmartinelli.ch/gis/2016/04/03/openstreetmap-noise-pollution-map.html Wille (talk)----
Unmapped towns in Brazil
- This is clever but sort of negative as an outward-facing promotional image of OSM. Showing stuff we don't have mapped yet. Not sure if that matters much -- Harry Wood (talk) 21:32, 8 May 2016 (UTC)
- My opinion is that it is smart from us to show that we know where our data is defective and that we are working on it to make it better. That image may also give incentive to contributors to work a bit more on these areas.
- We should not be afraid to say that we are not providinc a complete covergage, and the purpose of this wiki is to help improve it.
- See also the MissingMaps and HotOSM projects that also demonstrate such needs for further work. It's good to know that more data is needed there, as there's a legitimate demand for it. — Verdy_p (talk) 08:41, 9 May 2016 (UTC)
TODO: make an extract and ask for CC permissions on it.
Fort McMurray Map contribution
People on the talk-ca came together and helped contribute the Fort McMurray mapping data after the wildfire has ravaged the town. In a matter of days 327 changesets were created with 44,714 objects changed
-- User:James2432 00:59, 12 May 2016
- So that's a screenshot of this: http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-changesets?comment=osmcanada-FortMc#11/56.7348/-111.3976
- There's a bunch more editing which didn't have that 'osmcanada-FortMc' changeset comment (I even did a bit of mapping myself as it was hitting the news in the UK)
- It's a shame there's a bunch of newly mapped forest which should be visible on that screenshot, but we'll have to wait for a re-render of zoom 12.
- This is the slightly strange thing about this mapping response. In order to better show the area where forest has been destroyed, we need to add in all the missing forest! And if course it's working around an ugly shard of forest data which was already imported on the Southwest side of the city (particularly ugly at this zoom 11/12)
- I like the idea of a featured image on this very topical in-the-news topic, but I wonder if there's a better way we could show it an image.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 16:28, 16 May 2016 (UTC)
Kyrgyzstan Tien Shan OSM workshop
These really great photos popped up on flickr from User:Xamanu. I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I made a 2x2 montage, but maybe it'd be better to pick one. What do people think?
Need to write a caption. Happily we can read more about it on the HOT blog.
- Possible captionː "Stundents and Teachers in Kyrgyzstan creating detailed maps of their villages"
- -- User:Xamanu 19:15, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
Makes a nice change. Somebody in the OSM community publishing open licensed photos and explaining what they're about, completely unprompted!
OpenStreetMap in Cuba Conference
Photos CC licensed in https://www.flickr.com/photos/willemarcel/albums/72157667737641821
Between April 25 and 27, took place in Havana the first Intenational Free Software Conference (CubaConf) of Cuba. Many Latin American OSM contributors went to Cuba to give talks about OpenStreetMap and organize a workshop and a mapathon. Blog post Wille (talk)
- Oh yeah I saw your diary entry about Cubaconf. Great photos again. So much South America! -- Harry Wood (talk) 08:52, 17 May 2016 (UTC)
SOTM France, CZ+SK
- It’s a busy weekend for conferences with OSMit and SotM CZ+SK as well. --Andrew (talk) 17:19, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- Alright. The competition is on. Let's see which SOTM is pro-active with their photos! If somebody posts explicitly open licensed photos somewhere like flickr, then they're doing well (Open licensed photos used to be a standard thing to expect from any tech gathering, but seems to have gone out of fashion even at OpenStreetMap conferences. Let's see how we do) But full marks if someone actually pro-actively edits this wiki page with an image proposal.
- Ideally by Sunday evening we'll get a choice of images to go for
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:47, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
OK! State of the Map France 2016 group photo:
Thanks to Vincent de Château-Thierry for emailing that to me last night with clear license info (Taken by Thomas LOMBARD. CC0.) I think this should definitely be image of the week for next week ...unless ...if we get photos from the other SOTMs we'll have to decide if we're doing a montage. Maybe it's better not to anyway.
Kathmandu Living Labs at Understanding Risk
Here's a photo I spotted Heather posting on facebook, fresh from the big "Understanding Risk" conference.
- No timely SOTM photo was forthcoming so I think we should select this image, since it's also something which happened last week. So featuring this now -- Harry Wood (talk) 08:48, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
First Central American bus map
There is a nice photo series from Managua, Nicaragua, when the first proper bus map of Central American city was handed over to the bus users . I'm not sure which one to take, so this is a suggestion.
Caption proposal: "First bus map of a Central American capital - made by the people"
Read more about the contextː The true geographers take the buses
-- User:Xamanu 8:22, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
Children empowering themselves through maps
A photo series from Bluefields, Nicaragua, when the local OSM community and UNICEF worked with children and adolescents in schools to help children to empower themselves through the use of maps . I'm not sure which one to take, so I made a collage.
Caption proposal: "Children identifying places of risk in their environment through maps"
Read more about the contextː Bluefields has its first collaborative map
-- User:Xamanu 8:22, 20 May 2016 (UTC)
tourist map Pisa
Via SK53 on IRC. This looks very nice: crowdfunded tourist map for hills around Pisa http://conf.openstreetmap.it/slides/Mappadeimontipisani.org-OSMIT2016.pdf TODO: Choose a nice extract from the PDF and check we can open license that image (guess not a problem) -- Harry Wood (talk) 08:45, 23 May 2016 (UTC)
OSM stats visualization with Arduino
Made at OpenDot Lab in Milan and presented at OSMit2016 last week. Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzWbN3C7wU
--User:Sarchittuorg 13:55, 23 May 2016
- Very cool!
- You should stick some music in the background on that video (e.g. youtube let's you do that quite easily without even re-uploading)
- Anyway the image is cool too.
- Caption: "Presented at OSMit2016, this moving 3D model by OpenDot Lab is the latest way to visualise OpenStreetMap stats!"
- We've got quite a backlog of events related images (and I wouldn't mind another from OSMIT e.g. a group photo) but this one can be featured some time soon I'm sure.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 03:16, 24 May 2016 (UTC)