Foundation/Local Chapters/United States/Minutes-2013-11-20
- Martijn van Exel
- Melelani Sax-Barnett
- Ian Dees
- Kathleen Danielson
- Alex Barth
Supporting OSM communities
- What is the OSM US community?
- Meetup group funding
- Investigate sponsorship through Meetup
- Creating educational materials for how to contribute and how to use OSM data
- Editathons and code sprints (coordinated events)
- Conflict management
- Spotting and welcoming new mappers
- Collaborating with other local chapters around the world
- Creating a 'getting started with your local community' package / page (either / both)
- Is paying for meetup groups and swag really good value for money / effort?
- Perhaps more impactful to hold editathon training hangouts/chats?
- Building local communities means investing in core/founding/deeply-involved members and helping them branch out
- Don't forget about institutional members of the community (National Park Service, Census, etc.)
- When there's dispute in the OSM community, OSM US is it not in a good position to arbitrate (requires real-time communication, might require very local decisions be made)
- Don't try to make decisions, but help people make decisions themselves
- As board members, we should be good role models
- Invesitgate meetup.com sponsorship. http://www.meetup.com/perks/, try for zero-cost-to-us, reduced cost to meetup organizers (Ian)
- Editathon how-to materials
- Editathon prep session on hangout
- Materials/guides for institutional groups -- how to get involved, use the data, and work with the existing community
- (Carefully) ask to be kept in the loop on US-based DWG cases
Growing the Community
- Women/underrepresented groups in OSM
- OPW internship?
- OSM courseware / supporting bringing OSM into the classroom
- Communications: highlight interesting examples of OSM usage and collaborations with other groups
- More speaking gigs for board members
- Balancing the interests of new vs veteran mappers.
- Who are we missing from the community/what do we want it to be?
- Can/should institutions/companies be formal members? (no)
- Interviews/comms to highlight what institutions are doing with OSM so that other organizations know that others are
- Take proactive approach to increasing diversity -- how do we make this actionable?
- OPW internship - we need to come up with the money but it's highly visible
- Diversity mailinglist might have more ideas
- Codes of conduct for SOTMUS & talk-us / other us lists
- Diversity through more education?
- Sell the SOTM.US conference to a wider audience
- Workshops have a great beginners track, but sessions are built for OSM insiders
- Solicit sessions for beginners and from women/minorities/diverse viewpoints
- Come up with blogging plan showcasing interesting OSM uses institutional and individual (Alex)
- As we get into SOTM US planning phase, further investigate how to make the conference more inclusive & solicit diverse talks
- Revisit SOTM code of conduct, think about codes of conduct for the US mailing lists
- Send a post to talk-us reminding the list about the rules Ian moderates by (Ian)
- Encourage other moderators to follow the lead (Ian)
- Look at best practices (Linux Kernel?)
- Investigate a list / communication mode for members of the US Chapter
Map completion goals/targets
- Supporting imports / the importing process?
- MapRoulette and Battlegrid give people a shared goal with a completion point
- Use stuff like this as fodder for editathons
- Revive project of the week / month for the US?
- Prizes / (traveling) trophies for achievements
- Ian and Martijn should talk about MapRoulette hosting
- Martijn was interested in putting some time in to revive project of the week
How do we make the conference more inclusive?
- How we can sollicit more real bids for SOTM 2015 and onwards?
- Make our expectations really clear
- Board should discuss how to make more call for proposals more effective.
Get the house in order
- Membership management?
- Local Chapter status w/ LWG
- Face-to-face is not ruled out as a possibility financially, but we should have a reason to meet face-to-face
- Get formal local chapter status
- Collaborate with other local chapters
- Table face-to-face meeting discussion until after SOTM plans solidified
- Alex to look at LWG info and report back
- Martijn to fwd next LWG WG meeting to Alex √DONE muhaha