(Redirected from Geocoding)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Searching for location of an object in the OSM database is useful for many purposes.
Search engine services
These options are available as services you can call:
- Nominatim is deployed on OpenStreetMap servers, and powers the search on the front page as well as offering an API.
- LocationIQ.org runs nominatim with OSM data
- OpenCage hosted by OpenCage GmbH - searches across OpenStreetMap, geonames, geoplanet among other sources.
- Photon hosted by Komoot.de
- GeoCheck hosted by IdeesLibres.org - searches across Nominatim OSM, Google, Photon OSM, ideeslibres.org BANO, IGN, Etalab BANO
- Osmocoder hosted by 123map.de, able to do batch geocoding, so far for area of Germany, and in German language.
- OSMNames maintained by KlokanTech.com and HSR - provides basic search in place names with autocomplete for demo purposes. The project mainly aims to deliver gazetteer data from OSM.
- Geocode Earth provide hosted geocoding APIs powered by the open-source Pelias Geocoder. They offer autocomplete, reverse & full-text search across OSM, OpenAddresses, Geonames and Who's on First. Run by the former Mapzen Search team.
- WhatIsWhere Free, powerful map based search. Supports multiple conditions applied at the same time, saving/loading search projects, export to CSV, etc.
- NetToolKit provides affordable geocoding, autocomplete/search, and map tile services.
- Geoapify offers direct and reverse geocoding, as well as autocomplete. They support single and batch requests. The APIs can be tested with Playground.
- Geocoding API Forward & Reverse Geocoding based on OpenStreetMap data with low latency served by a global cdn.
Search engine software
These options can be deployed to your own server:
- Pelias (official site) is the software behind Geocode Earth, providing autocomplete geocoder and reverse geocoding based on various open data sources and Elasticsearch.
- OSM-Gazetteer by Dmitry Kiselev
- Oscar with a tiny description in 
- JRG: small reverse geocoder working on a postprocessed osm2pgsql database.
- osmgeoref – a small geocoding engine with low resource requirements (proof of concept)
- addok (project appears to be abandoned)
- Mimirsbrunn (active project in early stages)
- Gisgraphy (project appears to be inactive)
|Geocoder||Fulltext Geocoding||Fields Geocoding||Autocomplete||Filter||Bias||Reverse geocoding||Batch||Normalisation||Gazetteer||Linkage||Autocompletion Linkage||Engine||Data source|
|Gisgraphy||yes||yes||yes||Radius, Country||lat/lon, Disable Fuzzy||yes||no||Token||EdgeNGram||Solr||OpenAddresses, OSM|
|Photon||yes||no||yes||bbox, OSM Tags||lat/lon||yes||no||Nominatim||EdgeNGram||ElasticSearch||OSM|
|Pelias||yes||yes||yes||Placetype, Country, Bbox, Radius, admin_boundary, Data source||Proximity||yes||no||libpostal||Who’s On First||Token + EdgeNGram||EdgeNGram||ElasticSearch||OSM, OpenAddresses,
Who's on First, Geonames. Supports custom data.
|addok||yes||no||yes||postal_code||lat/lon||address only||yes||regex||N/A||Phonetization or Trigram||EdgeNGram||Redis||BAN, BANO(OSM)|
|Mimirsbrunn||no||no||yes||Dataset, Type, Zone||lat/lon||yes||no||regex||Cosmogony||Trigram||EdgeNGram||ElasticSearch||OpenAddresses, OSM, BAN|
- OSMNames SphinxSearch by KlokanTech.com - easy to deploy with Docker and downloadable data from OSMNames.org (dead, last activity in 2018), outdated data on server (still includes for example https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/550476055/history with name "Ścieąka rowerowa (w budowie)")
- Twofishes - by Foursquare - A coarse forward & reverse geocoder in scala (abandoned, its website is down)
offers quite a few Bang operators for directly linking to an object, or forming search queries.
, , , , , searching as in www.openstreetmap.org.
- direct id
- direct id
- direct id
- directly searching in Nominatim.
- How did you contribute to OpenStreetMap?
- , , this OSM wiki
- OSM Help
- OSM Forum
- note TODO notes in the readme