Import of Tenerife's water transport network
Import propossal for http://tareas.openstreetmap.es/project/45
- 1 Goal
- 2 Schedule
- 3 Import Data
- 4 Import Type
- 5 Data Preparation
- 6 Workflow
- 7 Updates
- 8 Quality Assurance
The Hydrologycal Plan of Tenerife (PHT) defines the basic network for distribution of water in the island of Tenerife. There are two kind of elements in this network that corresponds to this map elements in OSM:
- Canales: Spanish traditional man-made watercourses of about 0.5 m2 section, built in concrete, mostly before the 70's and usually open to air. They are drawn with the waterway=ditch tag. See this query in Overpass. Used mainly for irrigation but also for drinking. The nearest description for this element are the portuguese "wikipedia:levadas". You can view some image of canales in this link.
- Conducciones: Closed pression water pipelines. They have this tags: man_made=pipeline, substance=water. See this query in Overpass.
The basic water transport network consist of 66 water conductions. Many canales are already present in the map, with name and checked. This project aims to:
- Complete the traces of this elements using aerial imagery and the PHT location maps. Take their names from PHT data.
This is a long-term work without strict planning. Important milestones will be noted here.
- 03-06, 2017. Discussion in the Talk-es list (in spanish).
- 03-23, 2017. Discussion in the imports list.
- 03-29, 2017. Message to Telegram room. Work begins. Publication in task manager.
- 04-10, 2017. Work done. Validation remains pending.
- Data source site: http://www.planhidrologicodetenerife.org
- Data license: Public Domain
- Link to permission: artículo 13 de la Ley de Propiedad Intelectual española
- Attribution: source=Plan Hidrológico de Tenerife in the changeset tags.
Spanish legal provisions and their corresponding projects are not subjected to copyrights according to Article 13 of the Spain Intellectual Property Law.
PDF document (3.2 Mb) with:
- List of water conductions.
- 9 location maps.
These are the fields from the list that will be used in the import.
- Nombre del canal: The name of the conduction.
- Origen / Final: Names of the start and end location points. It will be used to determine the direction of the water conduction.
The dataset don't have geographic coordinates. The name of the conductions will be translated to OSM in a manual process using the location map.
This is a one time, full manual import.
Data Reduction & Simplification
This is a small basic dataset. It isn't necessary any reduction. During the work the conductions that do not exist in OSM and can not be traced over aerial image will be discarded.
Each element will have the following tags:
|Original field||OSM tag|
|Nombre del canal||name=*|
According to the type of element present in the name one of this set of tags will be applied:
- source=Plan Hidrológico de Tenerife; other data sources
Data Transformation Results
Import will be undertaken by experienced OSM volunteers, following a strict workflow.
- Create an account like user_imports with an email not already registered in OSM. If you use gmail, you can use your usual address adding "+imports" before the 'at'. Example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put this account in JOSM settings.
- Enable the remote control in JOSM: Settings (F12) > Remote control > Enable remote control.
- Give authorization to use your openstreetmap account in the tasking manager in the link 'login to OpenStreetMap'.
- Select an area and clic in "Start contributing".
- Open this area in JOSM with the link 'Edit with Josm'.
- With the help of the dataset location maps and using the usual aerial imagery sources for the area, draw the conduction trace if you can locate it.
- Add the tags stated in the #tagging Plan.
- Checked with the existing data. There aren't conflicts.
- Make sure to use the user created in Josm for the import.
- Upload the edits to OSM assigning the #changeset Tags.
- Mark the task as done in the tasking manager.
In case of any trouble, JOSM/Plugins/Reverter will be used.
In case of any trouble, JOSM/Plugins/reverter will be used.
These are static data, no updates are expected.
You can contribute with the project doing the validation in task manager.