Most tagging of boundaries is carried out in accordance with the table in Tag:boundary=administrative.
Boundaries should be marked on a containing way (for small areas) or a relation for larger areas. Administrative boundaries should be marked 'boundary. The admin level for each way or relation should be set according to the following table.
|admin_level||Division type||Notes||Overpass data csv|
|2||National borders of India||International standard|
|3||Zonal Council / North Eastern Council||Proposed|
|4||State / Union territory||Effective and stable|
|5||District (Zilla Panchayat)||Current use|
|6||Subdistrict (Tehsil / Taluka / Taluk / Mandal / Circle / Subdivision / Commune Panchayat)||Current use|
|8||Gram Panchayat||Municipality / Municipal Corporation||Current use||http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/LJ3|
|10||Ward / Gram Sabha||Civic ward||TBD||http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/LKs|
- India Political Boundaries
- India Local Government Boundaries
- A detailed system for a comprehensive scheme is at Talk:India/Boundaries/Proposal, but this has not yet been widely discussed or adopted.
- OSM Boundaries Map (on wambachers-osm.website)
- Map rendering the completion status of boundaries in India (and other countries) by administrative level (on layers.openstreetmap.fr)