Open Street Map of the Isle of Man
On Saturday 1st September 2007, the Isle of Man hosted its first mapping party with the main aim being to map the streets of Douglas and the surrounding areas.
Areas to be mapped
||Spring Valley, Anagh Coar/Annacur, Kirby
||Largely residential area between Cooil Road, Vicarage Road, Peel Road and New Castletown Road.
||Pulrose, Kewaigue, South Quay
||Area between New Castletown Road, Peel Road and Old Castletown road, to Douglas Harbour
||Central business district and shopping area
||Area between Circular Road, North Quay, Sea Terminal, Loch Promenade, Broadway, Derby Road and Bucks/Woodbourne Road
||Area between Quarterbridge Road, Alexander Road, Peel Road, Circular Road and Bucks/Woodbourne Road
||Area between Alexander Road, Broadway, Ballanard Road, Tromode Road
||Area between Strang Road, Peel Road, Quarterbridge Road
||Area between Mountain Road, Glen Crutchery Road, Ballanard Road
||East Douglas, West Onchan
||Douglas / Onchan
||Area between Broadway, Glencrutchery Road, Promenade
- Meet Saturday morning at 9.30 in the Java Lounge on the corner of Duke Street and Victoria Street. The Java Lounge has free wifi with the purchase of a drink.
- Intro to mapping.
- Choose areas to map. Mixture of areas suited to foot, bike or car transport.
- Meet for lunch in The British at 1pm.
- Meet for coffee at the Java Lounge again 6pm.
- Go through the process of uploading the information and begin mapping.
What information to collect
(in approximate suggested order of priority)
- GPS tracks for streets
- Names of streets
- One-way restrictions
- Pub locations
- Postbox locations
- Postcode locations
- Phonebox locations
- Hotel locations and names