Imports and automated edits should only be carried out by those with experience and understanding of the way the OpenStreetMap community creates maps, and only with careful planning and consultation with the local community.|
See Import/Guidelines and Automated Edits code of conduct for more information. Imports/automated edits which do not follow these guidelines might be reverted!
Importing is the process of uploading external data to OSM.
Bulk imports are undertaken as a supplement to data collected by individual volunteers, and their data and ability to work in an area always has priority. Many free potential datasources have been updated into OSM in the past, like AND Data in the Netherlands, TIGER in the United States, Canvec in Canada, and MassGIS in the US state of Massachusetts.
- Import Guidelines
- The ground rules. Read this before planning and executing an import.
- Import Catalogue
- A list of imported data. Document imports here to facilitate sharing of expertise and trouble shooting.
- Description of software and import processes.
- Handling bad imports
- What to do if you discovered a bad import.
- Getting permission
- Letter templates to request for permission to use data sources.
- Potential Datasources - List of datasources which could be imported, with descriptions of licensing status/investigation.
- Import/Secondary data imports with no or bad coordinates
- Lessons learned from Swedish landcover import
- How Beneficial are Data Imports to OpenStreetMap? – A United States Case Study - Presentation to SotM US 2012, Dennis Zielstra, Pascal Neis, Hartwig H. Hochmair
- Data Imports In OpenStreetMap – Love ‘Em Or Loathe ‘Em? - web article, Martijn van Exel
- Imports and the Community - web article, Matt Amos
- Imports and the Community II - follow up to the prior article, Matt Amos
- Permissions Document your communication with (potential) donators of data and their (dis)allowance of using their data
- Foundation/Import Support Working Group - a group formed by the foundation to facilitate investigation and potential import of datasets.