Malaysia/Administrative boundaries import in Peninsular Malaysia
Adding sub-administrative (district and local administrative) boundaries and updating administrative boundaries (state-level) with better accuracy in some states of Malaysia.
No fixed schedules. Could take between a few hours' time, or might even a whole week. Hopefully work can begin by September.
Data source site: https://data.sinarproject.org/dataset?res_format=GeoJSON
Data license: ODbL, stated explicitly
Type of license: ODbL
Link to permission: E-mail exchange from the owner of the data
OSM attribution: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Malaysia
ODbL Compliance verified: yes
OSM Data Files
Files will be obtained from source and will be handled through JOSM.
A one-time import using JOSM and manual adjustments.
Data Reduction & Simplification
Duplicates (way) in boundary data will be detected and removed. Some of its metadata (i.e. tags) which may not be used widely in OSM would also be scrapped. Ways with more than 2000 nodes will be further split.
JOSM has a GeoJSON plugin which just works: simply drag and drop; and data inspection can be made.
Data Transformation Results
Expected final results: zipped file.
Data Merge Workflow
- Some cleanup on the current boundary data, for example: mapped elements that share the same ways with current boundary relation members will be split first.
- Load current related boundary relations from OSM.
- Open transformed JSON files into JOSM.
- Carefully retain relation histories during merge process. If possible, in simpler cases, way histories may be preserved.
- QA using inbuilt validation tools (splitting complex relations very carefully), before finalising the upload.
KeepRight to catch slipped mistakes.