Mapbox (mapbox.com) offers commercial mapping services. Many of them use OpenStreetMap data and involve large open-source efforts. Mapbox is a main contributor to the Mapnik renderer project, it helped create the new web editor iD and it created Tilemill, the software used to design the OpenStreetMap map style. Mapbox employs a data team actively improving the map.
Tools and products
- Mapbox Maps SDK and GL JS (Mapbox GL) – libraries for embedding customizable vector slippy maps into Web, mobile, desktop, and command-line applications
- Mapbox Navigation SDK for Android and iOS
- Mapbox SceneKit SDK
- Mapbox Maps SDK for Unity
- Mapbox Streets - an OpenStreetMap based scalable map service
- Mapbox Studio - A desktop map design and rendering studio
- TileMill - a desktop map design and rendering studio (phasing out in favor of Mapbox Studio)
- CartoCSS - CSS-inspired language for styling maps, used both in TileMill and Mapbox Studio
- MBTiles - an efficient tile storage schema for mobile apps
- Mapbox Vector Tile Specification - a specification for a lightweight scalable vector tile format
- Open Source Routing Machine
- To-Fix - a micro-tasking manager (GitHub) - Deprecated, find more information here.
- OSM QA Tiles Daily OpenStreetMap planet dump as vector tiles. Available as a country and historical extracts
- OSM Comments Find un-replied changeset comments and notes of a user
- OSMCha A custom instance of OSM Changeset Analyzer to find and query changesets by certain properties
- OSM Diary A live feed of the latest diary posts from the data team at Mapbox
- OSM navigation map A map to explore Mapillary images to add navigation data to OSM like turn restrictions and oneways. Deprecated.
- OSM changeset map Visualize a changeset on an interactive GL map like achavi
- Machine learning to detect bad changesets using gabbar
- Full geometry details for all involved objects in a changeset (Note as at August 2018 this service appears to have stopped updating)
- New changesets are pushed to
- New changesets are pushed to
- Collection of tools to match OSM and Wikidata - Wikimama
- Wikidata-OSM distance visualizer - Wikidata-osm
- Wikidata label uploading - WikidataLabelUploader
- Produce a CSV of feature metadata for OSM or Wikidata IDs - lookup-osm-wikidata
- minjur Convert .osm data to .geojson
- tippecanoe Convert .geojson data to .mbtiles vector tiles
- osmlint Validate OSM data using tile-reduce
- osm-compare Compare two versions of an OSM feature
- osm-edit-report - Visualize edit count of a mapping team as a graph updated hourly
- osmi-data-processor - Process QA issues from OSM Inspector as a csv file
- osm-history-processor - Process changests of a mapping team from a give time range as a .osm file
- josm to-fix plugin - JOSM plugin to integrate to-fix issues
- Mapping with OpenStreetMap - An easy to follow visual guide for beginners who want to become power mappers with JOSM
They also provide various tilesets that can be used by customers:
- Mapbox Streets - a general-purpose tileset
- Mapbox Outdoors - an outdoor focused tileset with trails and high-resolution terrain data
- OSM Bright - a starter style for creating your own OpenStreetMap design
- Terrain-RGB Tiles - Raster tiles encoded with height data in RGB channels
- Mapbox and credit's licence
- Mapbox GitHub repository
- Request fresh imagery from Mapbox
Mapbox Data Team
The Mapbox Data Team continuously improves OpenStreetMap by fixing errors and adding data using open data sources. All active mapping tasks are ticketed and documented in our mapping repository.
Current mapping projects
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Poland.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Ireland.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in UK.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Sweden.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Norway.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Slovak Republic.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Portugal.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Spain.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Hungary.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Czech Republic.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Greece.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Netherlands.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in the Fixing data from linters USA.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in France.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Germany.
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/resolve linting issues in Belgium.
- Fixing data from linters Resolving lintings problems in Canada
- Fixing data from linters Resolving lintings problems in Denmark
- Fixing data from linters Organised Editing/Activities/Resolve linting issues in Italy
- Fixing data from customer feedback.
- Fixing data from internal validation process (see this SotM presentation) for an overview.
- Fixing building duplicates in Indonesia Organised Editing/Activities/Deletion of building duplicates in Indonesia.
- Roads improvements in the UK Organised Editing/Activities/In the UK
- Roads improvements int the USA Organised Editing/Activities/In the USA
- Mapping missing streets in the USA
- Adding level crossings in France
- Organised Editing/Activities/Adding missing buildings in Porto
Current Data Team members
Here are the OpenStreetMap user accounts on the Mapbox data team. For any questions, please get in touch with the team member listed or Maning Sambale or Arun Ganesh. These are only the usernames of people systematically updating OpenStreetMap as part of their job at Mapbox. There are many other Mapbox team members mapping on OpenStreetMap as a hobby - they are not listed here. The list of data team OSM user accounts was also maintained as an npm module until 2017.
|Uladzislau Kanapliou||Vladislav Konoplev|
|Anton Markau||Anton Markau|
|Yuliya Alkhimionak||Yulya Alkhimionak|
|Ihar Kryvanos||Ihar Kryvanos|
|Raman Rutkouski||Roman Rutkovski|
|Pavel Chyzhonak||Pavel Chyzhonak|
|Raman Aleinik||Roman Oleynik|
|Mayia Kastsenka||Maya Smile|
|Ilya Ivanov||illia ivanou|
|Nadzeya Bunevich||Nadia Bunevich|
|Hleb Smaliakou||Boogaloo Gee|
|Dzmitry Kerko||Dzmitry K|
|Valeria Yukovich||Valeria Yukovich|
|Aleksey Gorelikov||Aleksey Gorelikov|
|Anton Valodzin||Anton Valodzin|
|Volha Papko||Olya Popko|
Team members active in OpenStreetMap
These are the user accounts of team members who are not a part of the data teams but are active in OpenStreetMap and projects related to the same.
|Tom Lee||Tom Lee|
Previous Team Members
Here is the list of previous data team members who currently are not a part of Mapbox.
Data Team Guidelines
In addition to the rules that apply to everyone in the community, here are the guidelines the Mapbox team reiterates and adds for themselves:
- We listen to the community. We are looking for your feedback on how to make a better map. Get any time in touch with any of our team members. For general feedback message Maning Sambale or Arun Ganesh
- Quality is paramount. We hold ourselves to the highest mapping standards as documented on the OpenStreetMap Wiki or as established as common practice in the community.
- Local knowledge first. Where in any doubt, the locally surveyed information prevails over remote updates.
- We disclose all ongoing mapping efforts on the Mapbox mapping repository.
- All full-time data team members will be listed here on this OpenStreetMap Wiki page and identified on their user profiles.
- Where possible we use public tools for coordinating work, allowing anyone in the community to participate.
- The Paid Mappers are Coming talk at State of the Map US June 2015 by lxbarth
- The Mapbox OpenStreetMap Data Team Guidelines September 2014 by lxbarth
- OpenStreetMap 101 series 2016 - 2017
- Can we validate every change on OSM? SotM 2018 by lukasmartinelli
- Can We Validate Every Change On OSM? SotM US 2018 by lukasmartinelli
Consultancies working on Mapbox projects
Mapbox sometimes works with consultancies on a short-term basis for certain projects. We ensure they abide by the OpenStreetMap guidelines for mapping that our team follows. Here is the list of consultancies and the projects associated with them.
|Name of the consultancy||Projects they are working on||Status (Active/Paused/Completed)|
|GIS-UA||1. Mapping service roads in parking lots
2. Mapping turn restrictions
Please send any general feedback on Mapbox's work on OpenStreetMap to Maning Sambale or Arun Ganesh