| Before uploading a file to OpenStreetMap wiki, please consider if it would be more useful to upload it to the Wikimedia Commons file repository instead. You can use (embed, link) Wikimedia Commons files in exactly the same way as if they were uploaded here locally (|
[[File:Example.jpg|thumb|some example text]] – unless a file with the same name exists locally on this wiki), and as an added bonus the file is available to be used by other projects (not least Wikipedia) which are using Wikimedia Commmons.
|| Media files that generally should be uploaded to OpenStreetMap wiki:
- Screenshots of the OpenStreetMap main page or wiki pages. Of course, these images can be generally uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, but that project only needs OpenStreetMap screenshots that illustrate article topics.
- Screenshots of editors like iD (ISC License), JOSM (GNU GPL v2), Potlatch 2 (WTFPL) or Merkaartor (GPL).
- Media files showing Bing aerial imagery, copyrighted software or web services that use OpenStreetMap data. Should only be uploaded for use in help or information pages. Remember these media files are protected by copyright and are the only such files allowed here.
- Media files that are not covered by the project scope of Wikimedia Commons, but are useful in OpenStreetMap wiki pages: for example media of State of the Map conferences, Humanitarian OSM Team projects, mapping parties.
- Duplicate content in a file format which is better suited for the content (e.g. SVG instead of JPG for drawings or charts). For example, if there is an existing image in a raster format like Jpeg, upload the SVG file under the same new name, but with a new file extension; rename the file to the new one in all pages shown in What links here; then propose for deletion the original.
|| Media files that generally should not be uploaded to OpenStreetMap wiki:
- Duplicates of files present in Wikimedia Commons (the file in the OSM wiki will be deleted, because it can be used directly from Commons).
- Media files that are covered by the scope of project scope of Wikimedia Commons (summary) - these should be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
- Media files not either available under a open license or in the public domain (exceptions for Bing aerial imagery, copyrighted software or web interfaces that use OpenStreetMap data – see above).
- Updated media files similar to an existing one but under another name, unless there is a good reason to show both. To update a media file under an existing file name just go to the page of that file and click in "Upload a new version of this file".
- Media files not related to OpenStreetMap.