Bestwood Park is an area of social housing in the north of Nottingham City. This page refers to a broader area defined as a 'cake slice' on the main Nottingham page. This includes the Top Valley, and Rise Park estates.
The main purpose of this page is to provide more detail on mapping status, progress and issues, than is possible on the main page for the city.
This is one of the least well mapped areas around Nottingham, no active mappers seem to live nearby, it is not covered by aerial photography on Yahoo, and was mostly built in the past 50 years and NPE is therefore not useful. A significant proportion of the area is covered by post-1970 social housing with intricate networks of short cul-de-sacs and many walkways between houses, as well as many small open areas of grass or other green space. Most of the area will therefore require mapping on foot to achieve a decent level of coverage and accuracy.
Boundaries of the 'Cake Slice'
Subdivisions for mapping and monitoring status
Given the size and complexity of the area it will require concerted survey effort over time. In order to facilitate such effort, and determine what remains to be done, the area has been broken down into much smaller units. The basic principle is that an individual unit should be mappable (all roads, footpaths, cycleways and most POI) on foot in 2-3 hours.
Colour and symbol legend
The status of each map region is indicated by a symbol, which describes the type of feature, and a colour, which indicates the completeness of that feature in a map region.
The status is displayed using a template Template:State
- progress - 1/2/3/4/NA
Meaning of symbols
- - Street names are labelled. This means that the map can be used to find an address - Key: l
- - All housenumbers are present - Key: h
- - All footways are present - Key: fo
- - All wheelchair access is present - Key: d
- - All cycleways, and field and forest roads suitable for bicycles are present - Key: b
- - Roads for car traffic are present. One way streets and pedestrian streets are present. This means that the map can be used for car navigation - Key: c
- - All public transports are present (including name of the bus stop/station names) - Key: tr
- - All stop/station/harbour names are present - Key: ha
- - All bus lines are present (including name of the bus stop names) - Key: bu
- - All trolley/guided bus lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: ty
- - All tram lines are present (including name of the tram station names) - Key: tm
- - All fast railway lines transports are present (including name of the train station names) - Key: tm
- - All U-Bahn (subway in Germany) lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: u
- - All S-Bahn (regional commuter train in Germany) lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: s
- - All steam railway lines transports are present (including name of the train station names) - Key: st
- - All ship lines are present (including name of the harbour station names) - Key: sh
- - All public institutions are present (Churches, sports facilities, venues, schools, hospitals, city hall) - Key: p
- - All petrol stations are present - Key: fu
- - All restaurants and hotels are present - Key: r
- - All tourist attractions are present - Key: t
- - All natural resources are mapped (e.g Water, Lakes and Woodland) - Key: n