This is a mainly social event for anyone interested in OpenStreetMap. Despite it's name and origins we are now aiming to form a nucleus for anyone in the East Midlands. To that end we now meet in Derby once a quarter (Feb, May, Aug and Nov), and may meet elsewhere if an opportunity comes up.
- 1 Next Meeting
- 2 Future Meet-ups
- 3 Past Meet-ups
The regular East Midlands pub meeting will also take place the following Tuesday 24th in Nottingham at the Lincolnshire Poacher.
The next regular pub meet-up will be held on:
- Tuesday, 24th April. Nottingham 19:30. Lincolnshire Poacher.
This year the mapping before getting to the pub will take a different guise. Both Nottingham & Derby city centres are well mapped, but tracking changes in shops, restaurants, pubs and bars is always needed. This is a developing issue for OSM as whole: how do we maintain the mass of data which is there? The idea is for people involved mainly just checking a few streets against what is in OSM. I hope by doing this we may learn simpler ways of keeping a check, and work out what effort is required.
The meeting point will therefore be the time-honoured Nottingham one of "the left lion" (i.e., the Northern lion outside the council house) at 18:30. Mapping time will be about 45 minutes to allow time to walk up the road to the pub.
I will have an OSM logo on card to make us easier to find in the pub.
Food is available at the pub.
Contact phone: Jerry (SK53) 077 9103 4742.
|local user group|
|Nottingham Pub Meetup|
|where:|| Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham, Map |
1st & 3rd months of quarter;
Silk Mill, Derby, Map
2nd month of quarter) (map)
|no mailing list|
Check the venue for the given month.
If the pub is busy look for a table with GPS devices and possibly various OSM maps and/or paraphernalia. I have a(n old) logo which I hope to be able to put somewhere reasonably prominent. If all else fails you can call me (Jerry) on 077 9103 4742.
The Market Tavern, Chesterfield
Located in the market square close to the famous spire fo the parish church. A short (under 10 minute) walk from the station and even closer from the bus station. There is car parking at Holywell Cross ("The Doughnut"), at Rose Hill and possibly at others nearby (though check the closing time of multi-storeys).
Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham
The Lincolnshire Poacher is readily reached by a short walk (10 minutes), or a hot cycle ride (if on a Brompton) or by bus from the city centre, but is directly on bus routes from the North of the city.
There is parking in the immediate local area near The Arboretum (free across the road from 20:00). Bike parking is available just to the S of the pub: and is marked on OpenCyclemap. Recent experience suggests that this is not safe, many people take bikes into the back room of the pub or lock them up in the outdoor area.
The pub usually serves food, but there are a number of fast-food outlets nearby (some of dubious quality).
The Silk Mill, Derby
The Silk Mill is about 600 m from the bus station (turn right out of bus station main entrance, then keep walking past the Council House and the Assembly Rooms car park, or follow the new path through the gardens alongside the Derwent to the Cathedral Gardens). From the railway station follow the main route into town but turn right along Traffic Street rather than going under the road into intu Derby (formerly the Westfield Centre). Then follow the instructions from the bus station.
There is bicycle parking outside the council house and around the Quad and Assembly Rooms. There is car parking in the Assembly Rooms car park, and many others nearby.
Here's a list of people who will probably be coming along. Do add your name to the list if you're interested.
- edit the page to add your name here
There are still some wholly unmapped sides of shopping streets in the town centre, and also the turnover of businesses at the "value" end is quite high, so a recheck of what's already mapped is welcome.
There are still a few missing businesses in the centre of town, so a recheck of what's there wouldn't come amiss. Some industrial areas (Alfreton Road, Darley Abbey Mills) are also incomplete.
Many or most housing in the city is unmapped and unaddressed, so there's plenty to keep everyone busy there.
Area N of pub on E bank of Derwent near Little Chester looks a reasonable target for pre-pub mapping.
These are still fairly informal (at some stage I may start making cake slices). Currently the following look like interesting candidates:
- Continue address / house mapping in St Ann's (E of Corporation Oaks, Elm Avenue), specific target Sycamore neighbourhood (bounded by Robin Hood Chase, Abbotsford Road, Hungerhill Road, Gorsey Close Allotments & Woodborough Road):
Known specific issues:
- Status of the two brownfield areas: former Sycamore Inn & immediately adjacent to Robin Hood Walk
- Is the social club still open; check status of convenience store.
- Check which footpaths actually link between buildings & which just give access to people's front-doors
- Establish pattern of location of doors in the large apartment/maisonette buildings. Usually there are doorways on both first & ground floors, and most buildings seem to have 3 apartments in each building section (visible on aerial images).
- Number of building levels, wall & roof materials
House numbers in Rose Close & odds at start of Hungerhill Road
- Status of footpaths behind 1-4 Rose Close.
- Check if some footpaths are actually service roads with car parking (esp on blocks next to Robin Hood Chase
- What is narrow building on Verbena Walk
- House numbers Lavender Walk (second part) and SE end of Lupin Close.
- Additional amenity trees (but not those on Robin Hood Chase)
In practice if there are 2-4 experienced mappers we may divide up to pursue these tasks. Anyone not familiar with mapping is very welcome to come along, and even choose what we should map. The area around the Lincolnshire Poacher includes a wide range of different urban environments so there is plenty of variety in what we can map.
Potential Discussion Themes for the pub
- Nottingham Mapping Priorities. MarkIliffe raised the issue as to what sort of things newcomers could map. I'm interested in getting public transport better.
- Sneinton Markets.
2018 Outline Calendar
Some dates may change to avoid clashes with other Open Data/OSM events. We hope to move around a little more this year in the East Midlands area. So the last meeting in the quarter may change location from Nottingham.
- February: Tuesday, 20th Feb. Derby.
- March: Tuesday, 20th March. Nottingham.
- April, during GISRUK 17-20th April, Leicester: mapping event for GISRUK participants, followed by an extra pub meeting in Leicester. The actual date will be announced when the GISRUK programme is finalised.
- April: Tuesday, 24th April. Nottingham
- May: Tuesday, 22nd May. Derby.
- June: Tuesday, 19th June. Nottingham.
- July: Tuesday, 24th July. Nottingham.
- August: Tuesday, 21st August. Derby
- September: Tuesday, 18th September Nottingham
- October: Tuesday, 23rd October. Nottingham
- November: Tuesday, 20th November. Derby
- December: Tuesday, 18th December. Nottingham
Tweeting this page
There is a custom short link suitable for tweeting at http://tinyurl.com/NGosmPub.
July 2014 was our 20th meeting.
- March 2011, held at the Sir John Borlase Warren. 8 attendees.
- April 2011
- May 2011
- June 2011
- April 2013
- May 2011
- June 2013
- July 2013
- August 2013
- September 2013, held in Worksop to link up with HOT House 2013. SK53 mapped retail areas of Worksop. Around 14 attendees.
- October 2013
- November 2013
- December 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014 held at The Exeter in Derby. 8 attendees, including a Mappa Mercia rep. No mapping.
- March 2014
- April 2014
- May 2014 held at The Tap in Derby. 9 attendees. No mapping.
- June 2014:
- July 2014: held at the Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 8 attendees, including post-grads from Nottingham Geospatial Institute. Mapping included areas off North Sherwood Street, addresses N of St. Ann's Well Road and the new multiservice centre on St. Ann's Well Road.
- August 2014, held at The Tap in Derby. 6 attendees, 2 apologies. Cake to celebrate OSM 10th birthday, SK53's nth birthday and 21st meeting. Addresses etc. mapped in vicinity of Chester Green, Derby.
- September 2014. Lincolnshire Poacher. Only 3 of us.
- October 2014. Lincolnshire Poacher. 4 attendees; rubbish weather, so relatively little pre- or post-pub mapping.
- December 2014. The Tap. 4 attendees.
- January 2015. 1st Mapping Social. The Cock, Hanbury. Jointly with Mappa Mercia. 9 attendees, rain and wet under foot but some useful mapping done.
- January 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher. 6 attendees. Including one from Malvern! 25th meeting.
- February 2015. The Tap, Derby. 7 attendees.
- March 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 5 attendees.
- April 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 5 attendees.
- May 2015. The Tap, Derby. 5 attendees.
- June 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 4 attendees.
- July 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 6 attendees.
- August 2015. Old Silk Mill, Derby. 6 attendees.
- September 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher. 4 attendees.
- October 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher. 3 attendees.
- November 2015. Old Silk Mill. 7 attendees, special guest appearance by brianboru. Food looked rather good too.
- December 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher, 4 attendees
- December 2015. 2nd Mapping Social, Abbots Bromley. Jointly with Mappa Mercia. 7 attendees, once again rain and wet under foot but some useful mapping done.
- January 2015. Lincolnshire Poacher. 6 attendees. Much discussion of tagging for safe & pleasant cycle tours.
- February 2016. Old Silk Mill. 5 attendees.
- March 2016. Lincolnshire Poacher. 5 attendees.
- April 2016. Lincolnshire Poacher. 6 attendees. Mapping around Stonebridge Park.
- May 2016. Old Silk Mill. 7 attendees.
- June 2016. Lincolnshire Poacher
- July 2016. Lincolnshire Poacher. 3 attendees.
- August 2016. Old Silk Mill. 6 attendees.
- September 2016. Lincolnshire Poacher. 6 attendees.
- October2016. Lincolnshire Poacher. 3 attendees.
- November 2016. Old Silk Mill. 6 attendees
- December 2016. Lincolnshire Poacher. Only 2 attendees.
- January 2017. Lincolnshire Poacher. 4 attendees.
- May 2017. Old Silk Mill. Only 2 attendees.
- June 2017. Lincolnshire Poacher.
- July 2017. Lincolnshire Poacher. 5 attendees.
- August 2017. Old Silk Mill. 4 attendees.
- September 2017. Market Tavern, Chesterfield. 6 attendees.
- October 2017. Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 6 attendees.
- November 2017. Silk Mill, Derby. 5 attendees
- December 2017. Lincolnshire Poacher, Nottingham. 5 attendees.
- December 2017. New Year Footpath Mapping, Coton in the Elms/Rosliston, Derbyshire. 5 attendees.
- January 2018, Lincolnshire Poacher. 7 attendees.
- February 2018. Old Silk Mill. 6 attendees.
- March 2018. Lincolnshire Poacher. 6 attendees.
- April 2018. Leicester, Parcel Yard. 3 attendees