Open Historical Map/Projects/colonizing trails west
Sites and Events of the Colonizing Trails West
This project will involve mapping important sites and events relating to the the wagon roads west. This page provides a place to outline what is proposed for the project. The reason for this page as a whole is that there is not one route or road that was any one of these and all may be listed as immigrant trails on maps. They all may follow the same direction over southern pass to cross the Rockies but they wander all over the map. The trails did move as many settlers brought livestock with them and needed to graze them in good fields of grass.
- Lewis and Clark Expedition to find a route to the pacific.
- Oregon Trail
- California Trail
- Santa Fe Trail
- The Mormon Trail https://openhistoricalmap.org/relation/2691855
- The Bozeman Trail
- Pony Express Trail
- Old Spanish Trail
- National Park Service Oregon Trail
- Nation Parks Trails Maps
- National Park Maps viewer
- National Park Map Portal
- c1789 Road Map of America
As this project advances, we hope to experiment with new tagging to show party movement. We will be following the Civil war tagging scheme for movements.
- constructed by whom
- controlled by whom (date range)
- type (e.g., "star" fort)
- construction (wood, earth, stone, brick, ...)
- ditch (present or absent)
- when constructed
Terrain and Vegetation features
Do as much of this within the framework of existing OSM landuse/landcover/crop tagging schemes.