OpenHistoricalMap is informally organized into community projects that focus on specific places or themes in the map across time. These projects are documented here to coordinate efforts and serve as a starting point for research.
Structure of a project
A typical project page includes:
- Context about why the place or theme is historically significant
- A description of what has been mapped so far
- Priorities for improving coverage
- Online resources to consult when mapping
- Sources of imported data (or potential sources)
Creating a project page is a good way to attract other mappers to collaborate with you in building up local coverage.
The following projects are distributed widely and not necessarily associated with standard geographic areas:
- Highways - Historic Highway Routes
- Waterways - Historic Waterways
- Ghost Tracks - Historic Motorsports Venues.
- Open Gravestones - A project to provide open burial data built on open standards
- Railway - Railroads/railways of the world.
- Stadiums - Stadiums and sports venues that are no longer with us
- World's Fairs - historical World's Fair Venues
Projects that focus on the minority/ethnic/gender/racial past.
- Open Historical Map/Projects/New York Capital District#Rapp Road (Historic_District)
- Open Historical Map/Projects/NYC#Seneca_Village
- Open Historical Map/Projects/Aboriginal Lands
- South Vietnam, especially names of administrative regions
- Muninn WW1 - WW1 Trench Geometries / Artillery emplacements.
- Roman Roads - Continent-wide route network of Roman Empire (routing demo)
- Roman Places - map the civitates and oppida.
- Roman Empire - map the Roman empire
- Open Historical Map/Projects/Indication Sketches – Cadastral map of Austria from 1826–1843
- Tartu - City from 1880-1960 based on snapshots from historical maps
- Helsinki 1907 - Transport routing at 1900
- Helsinki - City plan 1820
- Germersheim - Development of Germersheim
- Lingenfeld - Development of Lingenfeld
- Trier - Development of Trier
- Hessen - Development of Hesse
- Doetinchem - Development of Doetinchem
- Land reclamation in the Netherlands - Evolution of the coastline of the Netherlands
- Panchevo - Development of Panchevo
- Thurgau - Projects in Thurgau
- 3D Buildings - Time enabled 3D mapping of buildings in Sweden.
- Stockholm Census Districts – Census districts in the city of Stockholm 1878–1926.
- Stockholm County Administrative Boundaries – Administrative boundaries in the county of Stockholm since 1850.
- Kyiv 1800 - 2000 - Kiev/Kyiv development of the urban morphology of the center of the capital of Ukraine.
- Derby - mapping the development of Derby
- London - mapping the development of London
- Scottish Boundaries - historical administrative units of Scotland
- Snow's Map - Soho at time of John Snow's Cholera work
- Trumpington - The architectural history of Trumpington. route
- Toronto - Development of Toronto and surroundings from the early 19th C to the present
- Metro Vancouver - Development of Vancouver, surrounding cities, and the University of British Columbia to the present
United States of America
- American Civil War - Sites and events from the American Civil War
- Colonizing Trails West Routes of the mass migration west. (Wagon Roads)
- Lincoln Highway route of the first major transcontinental highway in the US
- Oregon Trail - to trace the route or routes of the migration west known as the Oregon Trail
- Railway - Railroads of North America
- Route 66 - to trace the route or routes of the transcontinental highway known as Route 66.
- US Post Offices - potential import of the Blevins-Helbock Historic Post Office Database
- US Forest Service -From the first Forest Reserves designated in 1891 through the designation as National Forests in 1905, as well as special projects such as the Civilian Conservation Corps, Experiment Forests and Ranges, Wilderness and other notable historical aspects.
- Pulaski Heights A 20th Century Streetcar Suburb in Little Rock, 1888 - 1962
- Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clara County, South Bay, San Jose, Silicon Valley, etc.)
- Evolution of Boston Bay shoreline since colonization
- Michigan - Places, roads, administrative boundaries of the state of Michigan, including development of Detroit and environs from the early 19th C to the present
- Burning Man - 2008 and 2009 maps of Burning Man festival from OSM
- New Hampshire - Mapping roads and buildings of the state of New Hampshire, from 1892 to today
- Long Island - some historic roads on Long Island, including the Long Island Motor Parkway.
- Capital District of New York - Changes to the Capital District of New York since the 1600s
- New York City - Historical Mapping efforts in NYC
- Cincinnati and vicinity
- Oklahoma State Highway Maps
- Williamsburg and the College of William & Mary
- Early Seattle - 19th C Seattle
- King County 1936 - 1936 aerial image of King County
- Sanderson's Map 1835 - 20 miles around Mansfield 1835
- Wisconsin - Mapping roads, places, and administrative boundaries of the state of Wisconsin
- Buenos Aires - Development of city in late 19th C, early 20th C. Initial city stripping prototype.
As yet unsorted
- Linked Data - Linked data show/use case and tagging proposal from OpenHistoricalMap.
- Open Historical Map/Projects/British Railways
- Open Historical Map/Projects/Native Lands native lands of the aboriginals/Tribes.
No one is working on these (yet). If you're not sure what you want to do in OHM, consider them.
- West 9th Street, Little Rock, Arkansas. A vibrant African-American business and entertainment district in the 1920s and 1930s. See the Arkansas PBS film Dream Land or read about West Ninth Street
- Tulsa's Black Wall Street as it was
- Defunct Confederate Memorials in the US
- Auto Trails Many highways in the old Auto Trails system need to be mapped
- OpenHistoricalMap/Quick OHM Map Links – visit some of the best-mapped sites in OpenHistoricalMap
- OpenHistoricalMap/Resources – imagery and other online resources that are useful to multiple projects in general
- OpenHistoricalMap/Reuse – instructions on incorporating OpenHistoricalMap data into your own creative project and some examples