This site is a translation from the german. In most cases there are no translations for the site linked with (i.e. they are in german). In case of doubt, for more details or just to be up-do-date see the original (As Ostalbkreis is a GERMAN district the german version is the original version DE:Ostalbkreis)
Ostalbkreis, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
|latitude: 48.83, longitude: 10.06|
|Browse map of Ostalbkreis 48°49′48.00″ N, 10°03′36.00″ E|
|Use this template for your city|
- 1 General information - Abstract
- 2 Towns and Communities
- 3 User, Meetings, Mailinglist
- 4 Mapping of the Ostalbkreis
- 5 Traffic
- 6 Geographie/Nature
- 7 Legende
General information - Abstract
Together with the Landkreis Heidenheim it builds up the Ostwürttemberg Region Ostwürttemberg] in the Regierungsbezirk Stuttgart. Neighboring districts are the district of Schwäbisch Hall in the north, the bavarian districts Ansbach und Donau-Ries in the east, the districts Heidenheim and Göppingen in the south, and the Rems-Murr-Kreis in the west.
The capital of the Ostalbkreis is Aalen.
Main roads besides the A 7 are the B 29 and the B 19. The district town Aalen is railway junction. Here the Remsbahn from Stuttgart, the Brenzbahn from Ulm, the Jagstbahn to Crailsheim and the Riesbahn to Donauwörth are crossing. The intercity line Karlsruhe - Stuttgart - Nürnberg crosses the Ostalbkreis with stops in Schwäbisch Gmünd, Aalen and Ellwangen.
The Ostalbkreis has major part at the eastern Swabian Alb (hence its name which translates to Eastern Alb District) as well as the eastern Welzheimer Wald (forest of Welzheim), belonging to the Schwäbisch-Fränkischen Wald = swabian-frankish forest, as well as the Ellwanger Mountains in the north of the district. Main rivers in the district are the Rems and the two rivers Jagst and Kocher all affluents of the Neckar.
Towns and Communities
See also the list List of locations in the Ostalbkreis in Wikipedia
For status of OSM-map see german site
The list of communities in the Ostalbkreis covers about 920 places (towns, villages, hamlets, granges, domicils) of the Ostalbkreis in geographical sense. Here are listed only the largest 10 % - the complete list will be shown on its own subpage DE:Ostalbkreis-Gemeindeliste.
Abtsgmünd, Adelmannsfelden, Bartholomä, Böbingen an der Rems, Durlangen, Ellenberg, Eschach, Essingen, Göggingen, Gschwend, Heuchlingen, Hüttlingen, Iggingen, Jagstzell, Kirchheim am Ries, Leinzell, Mögglingen, Mutlangen, Neuler, Obergröningen, Rainau, Riesbürg, Rosenberg, Ruppertshofen, Schechingen, Spraitbach, Stödtlen, Täferrot, Tannhausen, Unterschneidheim, Waldstetten, Westhausen, Wört
For status of OSM-map see german site
User, Meetings, Mailinglist
Here is an automatically generated list of the users User im Ostalbkreis. Everybody including "Category:Users_in_Ostalbkreis" on his Wiki-page, appears on this list.
The users of the region also meet on the Stuttgart-Mailingliste.
Mapping of the Ostalbkreis
Two main state roads cross the Ostalbkreis:
- The B 29 serves as important connection between Stuttgart, the valley of the Rems Remstal, the A 7 and the Nördlinger Ries.
- The B 19 goes from the österreich austrian border through the Ostalbkreis up to Thüringen.
- In addition there are also the state roads B 298 in the west at the border to the Rems-Murr-Kreis, as well as the B 290, B466 in the eastern part of the Ostalbkreis.
If all state roads are covered in OSM, they cover about 200 km in length. The state roads should be completet in the district - nevertheless: this should be verified.
See WikiProject Germany/Landesstraßen/Baden-Württemberg 6 Country roads in Baden-Württemberg (L 1000 - L 1199) and WikiProject Germany/Landesstraßen/Baden-Württemberg 7: Country roads in Baden-Württemberg (L 1200 - L 1399)
If all country roads are covered in OSM, they cover about 400 km in length. The country roads are probably completed in the district - nevertheless: this should be verified. For the list of country roads: see german site DE:Ostalbkreis
The numbers of district roads 3200–3399 are reserved for the Ostalbkreis (see WikiProject_Germany/Kreisstraßen#Baden-Württemberg). At the moment the highest number used is 3334. If all countryroads are covered in OSM, they cover about 500 km in length. The district roads are probably completed in the district - nevertheless: this should be verified.
For status of control: see german site DE:Ostalbkreis
Here are probably some still missing.
German Limes Street - Deutsche Limes-Straße
- The single relations of the cycle way network in Baden-Württemberg are combined in a super-relation: ) . At the moment there is no relation listed for the Ostalbkreis. (siehe:
- Valley of the Rems cycle route Remstal-Radroute) (
Long Distance Paths:
- Limes-Radweg Deutscher Limes-Radweg:
External links outside of OSM or WIKI (as interim solution, till relations are defined in OSM - in how far the pages listed underneath can be used to build up relations in OSM: ??? ):
- DE:Camino de Santiago=Jakobsweg - The relation "Jakobsweg Göppingen" runs partly through the Ostalbkreis. Here seem to be still many gaps regarding complete discriptions in relations.
- Limes-Wanderweg (HW 6) of the Schwäbischer Albverein.
- Rems (german site), Rems (english site, rather short)
- Jagst (german site), Jagst (english site, rather short)
- Kocher (german site), Kocher (english site, rather short)
Different results for searches in OSM (eg.: Rems as brook - Jagst and Kocher however as river, for the Jagst - on the contrary to the other rivers - also the source of the Jagst is specified)
Further brooks/rivers are existing, but the completeness must still be verified.
Lakes: A cosiderable number in OSM, but the completeness must still be verified.
A cosiderable number in OSM, but the completeness must still be verified.
Nature Reserves The Ostalbkreis owns 42 nature reserves with a total area of 1.898,5 ha.
- Auweiher (Rotach): 22,8 ha; local subdistricts Wört and Ellenberg
- Bargauer Horn: 25,2 ha; local subdistrict Weiler in den Bergen
- Beiberg-Buchberg: 20,8 ha; local subdistrict Bopfingen
- Bergrutsch Tannenwald: 10,9 ha; local subdistrict Waldstetten
- Birkenweiher with Ober- and Unterholzweiher: 22,5 ha; local subdistrict Wört
- Blasienberg: 41,8 ha; local subdistrict Kirchheim am Ries
- Breitweiher with Hilsenweiher: 14,3 ha; local subdistrict Stödtlen
- Dellenhäule: 24,1 ha; local subdistricts Waldhausen bei Aalen and Elchingen auf dem Härtsfeld
- Dossinger Tal: 22,6 ha; local subdistrict Dorfmerkingen
- Ellwanger Schlossweiher and surroundings: 63,0 ha; local subdistrict Ellwangen
- Goldberg: 32,45 ha; local subdistricts Trochtelfingen, Pflaumloch, Goldburghausen and Kirchheim am Ries
- Goldshöfer Sande: 46,5 ha; local subdistrict Hofen
- Gromberger Heide: 18 ha; local subdistrict Lauchheim
- Ipf: 71 ha; local subdistricts Bopfingen and Oberdorf
- Kaltes Feld with Hornberg, Galgenberg und Eierberg: 634,4 ha; local subdistricts Degenfeld, Waldstetten, Wißgoldingen, Nenningen and Weißenstein
- Kapf nearby Trochtelfingen: 61,1 ha; local subdistrict Trochtelfingen
- Leintal between Leinecksee and Leinhäusle: 202,5 ha; local subdistricts Spraitbach, Durlangen and Alfdorf
- Lindenfeld: 75,0 ha; local subdistrict Bettringen
- Dredging lakes of Lorch: 18,5 ha; local subdistricts Lorch and Waldhausen
- Muckental: 33,3 ha; local subdistrict Ellenberg
- Orbachtal with Streuwiesen: 5,9 ha; local subdistrict Rosenberg
- Rauhe Wiese: 4 ha; local subdistrict Bartholomä
- Riegelberg: 21,3 ha; local subdistrict Utzmemmingen
- Rosenstein: 22,0 ha; local subdistricts Lautern and Heubach
- Valley of Rot and Seebach: 15,6 ha; local subdistrict Gschwend
- Schechinger Weiher: 12,7 ha; local subdistrict Schechingen
- Scheuelberg: 119 ha; local subdistricts Bargau and Heubach
- Schloßberg with Ruine Flochberg: 9,4 ha; local subdistrict Bopfingen
- Canyon of the Großer Wimbach: 3,1 ha; local subdistricts Frickenhofen and Laufen am Kocher
- Stausee Stockmühle: 44,1 ha; local subdistrict Lippach
- stone pit terraces in the Egau-valley: 10,7 ha; local subdistricts Neresheim and Dischingen
- Streuwiese nearby Rötenbach: 5,6 ha; local subdistrict Bartholomä
- Valley of the Blind Rot: 60,7 ha; local subdistricts Neuler, Abtsgmünd and Pommertsweiler
- Tierstein with Hangwald and Eger-soure: 2,9 ha; local subdistrict Aufhausen
- Tonnenberg, Käsbühl, Karkstein: 173,4 ha; local subdistricts Aufhausen, Oberdorf_am_Ipf and Röttingen
- Volkmarsberg: 68,1 ha; local subdistrict Oberkochen
- Vorbecken Buch: 11,2 ha; local subdistricts Schwabsberg, Dalkingen and Westhausen
- Weiherkette nearby Spitalhof: 23,2 ha; local subdistrict Wört
- Weiherwiesen: 27,8 ha; local subdistrict Essingen
- Wental with Seitentälern and Feldinsel Klösterle: 288,9 ha; local subdistrict Essingen and Steinheim
- Wiesentäler nearby Menzlesmühle: 62,8 ha; local subdistricts Altersberg, Vordersteinenberg and Kaisersbach
- Zwing: 102,0 ha; local subdistricts Neresheim, Auernheim and Dischingen
Colour and symbol legend
The status of each map region is indicated by a symbol, which describes the type of feature, and a colour, which indicates the completeness of that feature in a map region.
The status is displayed using a template Template:State
- progress - 1/2/3/4/NA
Meaning of symbols
- - Street names are labelled. This means that the map can be used to find an address - Key: l
- - All housenumbers are present - Key: h
- - All footways are present - Key: fo
- - All wheelchair access is present - Key: d
- - All cycleways, and field and forest roads suitable for bicycles are present - Key: b
- - Roads for car traffic are present. One way streets and pedestrian streets are present. This means that the map can be used for car navigation - Key: c
- - All public transports are present (including name of the bus stop/station names) - Key: tr
- - All stop/station/harbour names are present - Key: ha
- - All bus lines are present (including name of the bus stop names) - Key: bu
- - All trolley/guided bus lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: ty
- - All tram lines are present (including name of the tram station names) - Key: tm
- - All fast railway lines transports are present (including name of the train station names) - Key: tn
- - All U-Bahn (subway in Germany) lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: u
- - All S-Bahn (regional commuter train in Germany) lines are present (including name of the station names) - Key: s
- - All steam railway lines transports are present (including name of the train station names) - Key: st
- - All ship lines are present (including name of the harbour station names) - Key: sh
- - All public institutions are present (Churches, sports facilities, venues, schools, hospitals, city hall) - Key: p
- - All petrol stations are present - Key: fu
- - All restaurants and hotels are present - Key: r
- - All tourist attractions are present - Key: t
- - All natural resources are mapped (e.g Water, Lakes and Woodland) - Key: n