|Rendered as:||gray shade as residential tag|
"In the South of England, the Pedestrian Shopping Mall, the part of the Town Centre where no cars are allowed, is often called a "Shopping Precinct", or just "The Precinct" when giving directions."
Types of square
- all paved
- paved, used for market
- roads around edge, park in middle (london-style square)
Examples and images
- Too specific. area=yes covers this and everything else, which was proposed some time ago here Ben. 02:38, 26 February 2007 (UTC)
I'd prefer "plaza" to "square". This is both more global (based on the above examples, all are pretty close and English also has "plaza" --Hawke 23:03, 11 June 2007 (BST)
- Honestly I wouldn't use area=yes to tag "plaza" simply because it is just too general. In France, and I guess in most Latin countries, a "plaza" is a landmark in the city, not just an area of pedestrianized highway. I have plenty of these to tag and I think we definitely need a tag that conveys the meaning of what a "plaza" is. Even if square=yes (or plaza=yes) is equivalent to highway=pedestrian + area=yes, it just has more meaning. --Karouf 12:37, 8 November 2007 (UTC)
- A "plaza"/"square" can be square in shape (or other irregular shape) and can be pedestrianized, mixed use (i.e. free motorized traffic, restricted motorized, etc.). In terms of specificity, I think that being as specific as possible should be permitted. I think that in relation to a road, a plaza will be in a termination of some sort of road or path (i.e. like a roundabout), making it a junction, but also is an area with a surface area much superior to that of the incoming roads (and that area needs to be able to be represented in relation to its bordering parks, roads, buildings, etc...)--Jacobly (talk) 10:25, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
Use the 'Pedestrianised road' tag?
Can we extend highway=pedestrian to allow its use on areas? I have some paved areas to tag already, so would like to see some support for this in renderers rather than just endless debate about what to call it. Ojw 14:41, 29 April 2007 (BST)
- See Proposed features/area, which is a proposal which would allow that. Morwen 09:43, 30 April 2007 (BST)
If a "plaza" is more than simple a highway=pedestrian;area=yes, this "more" is visible in map features, such as additional ways, fountains, etc. Maybe there should be a relation that groups all of these features (including the pedestrianised area) together, similar to Relations/Proposed/Site. 3247 21:33, 12 January 2008 (UTC)