|Status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||This proposal covers a complete view on the kiln and extends the existing and well known tags with more exact and clearly defined new tags that provides additional information for the analysis of its environmental, social and economic impacts.|
|Rendered as:||Icon with the kiln logo|
This is a proposal to introduce additional information to the existing tag man_made=kiln. This is an extension of man_made=kiln which is used to describe the feature as a node on a map indicating where the centre of the kiln is located; when the area is large tag man_made=chimney needs to be used and individual chimneys are mapped separately.
Kiln information is already provided, mainly by tag man_made=kiln, but additional information if the kilns are large are lacking. This tag only provides the information of the product, capacity and the fuel but other information related to the kiln are missing which can be relevant for determining its impact in environmental, social or economic aspect.
The current tagging makes it difficult to tag some features. For example, the firing method used, chimney number, chimney type, number of workers working, moulding processes, ownership of the land used, the supply market, percentage of quality product etc.
This proposal aims to provide a consistent mechanism to resolve some of the most serious semantic inconsistencies in the current tagging scheme and will ensure that additional information related to the brick kiln for further analysis of the environmental impact it can have is available.
Goal of this brick kiln proposal
This proposal is an advancement of Haveyougotanypets's Proposed_features/kiln
This proposal covers a complete view on the kiln and extends the existing and well known tags with more exact and clearly defined new tags that provides additional information for the analysis of its environmental, social and economic impacts.
Main problem with the existing schema
- Is suitable for nodes not areas
- Doesnot provide information related to social issues such as workers
- Doesnot provide information about the quality of products and the possible markets including the procedure used to produce products
The new schema in short
- Area on the area of the kiln man_made=kiln
- Node on the point where chimney is locatedman_made=chimney
A kiln is a thermally insulated chamber, a type of oven, that produces temperatures sufficient to complete some process, such as hardening, drying, or chemical changes. This proposal is to tag kiln areas with additional information that can be an asset for analysis of the environmental, economical and social impacts that they have on the lives of people living near those area.
- Tag used to denote the product of the kiln. eg: bricks, glass, charcoal, pottery, quicklime etc
- Name of the kiln
- Name of the city where kiln is located
- Type of firing used. eg: continuous, batch
- height=<height in meters>
- Height of the top of the chimney from ground-level in meters. (like Tag:man made=tower)
- Type of chimney existing in the kiln area. eg: force draft, VSBK, BTK's, Zig-Zag, natural draft etc
- Fuel used to heat the kiln. eg: coal, coal powder, rubber tyre, wood, biomass, industrial waster, charcoal
- Quantity of the fuel required in tons
- The moulding process. eg: manual, mechanized, semi mechanized
- Drying system used. eg : open, shade, artificial
- Type of material used to produce products. eg: agricultural soil, silt from water, others
- Actual production of the kiln in tons
- The production capacity of the kiln in tons
- Amount of quality product in percentage. eg: Incase of bricks. There is certain percent of quality bricks produced
- If the product is brick, Kind of bricks produced. eg: solid, hollow(perforated)
- Number of workers
- How is the education of the workers being funded. eg: self funded, funded by factory, donor agencies
- Number of operating months
- Name of the market where the products are sold
- Type of ownership of the land where kiln is located. eg: owned by factory, on rent
Rendered as an icon which contains the picture of the brick kiln
Please use the discussion page for comments.
- This proposal is not in voting phase yet.