|man_made = chimney
|A tall distinctive vertical conduit for venting hot gases or smoke, normally found near power stations or large factories
|Rendering in OSM Carto
|Group: man made
|Used on these elements
|Status: de facto
|Tools for this tag
A chimney is a structure which provides ventilation of hot flue gases or smoke from a boiler, stove, furnace or fireplace to the outside atmosphere. Normally found near power stations or large factories.
Please only map huge industrial chimneys (for example of factories), not normal chimneys of houses - approximate height at least 10 metres.
How to map
building=yes - Chimney as a building (outline for 3D)
- height=* - Height in meters
- material=* - Material from which the chimney is built
- historic=yes - when the chimney is historical and is no longer used for the original purpose
If there is a mobile phone base station or microwave antenna attached to the chimney you can use the following tags:
Chimneys near bodies of water
Chimneys near navigable waters should also have the following tags, which are important for nautical charts:
Possible tagging errors
- man_made=ventilation_shaft - An above ground structure used to allow stale air to leave underground spaces.
- man_made=tower - A tower is a free-standing structure which is higher than it is wide.
- craft=chimney_sweeper - A workplace or office of a person who cleans chimneys for a living
- Proposed features/Chimney
- on Wikipedia
- on Wikipedia