Proposed features/scuba diving
|It has been proposed that this page or section be merged with Tag:sport=scuba_diving. (Discuss)|
|Status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Applies to:||node, way, area|
|Definition:||To mark a known place for scuba diving and dive relevant places, refined version of tag:sport=diving|
Tagging of scuba diving relevant things like dive-spots, dive-shops, dive-centers etc.
This proposal covers
- sport=scuba_diving as a general, non-physical tag for dive relevant things
- amenity=dive_centre for dive-centers (please see below for details)
- shop=scuba_diving for shops selling dive equipment
- scuba_diving=* and namespace scuba_diving:*=* to describe dive spots or services of centers and shops (please see below for details)
Maybe the proposal needs to be split if genereal consensus on all proposed issues is hard to find.
OpenSeaMap is rendering diving-spots.
Select "Sport layer"
Rendered in z=14..18
The exact location of an interesting divespot is a useful information for divers to plan a dive trip or to organize a diving holiday. Especially as such places usually aren't marked by signs and are therefore hard to find for strangers. Being on holiday the location of the closest dive-center might be a crucial factor to decide where exactly to stay :-)
As scuba diving is a kind of sport, it's obvious to tag it as sport=*. To distinguish it from cliff-diving, it's proposed to use the value sport=scuba_diving. This also is in agreement to the naming on Wikipedia's list of sports (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports).
The tag may be used to
- mark interesting or known dive-spots in nature
- mark man made indoor dive attractions
- mark shops or centers that offer scuba-diving relevant services
Since sport=scuba_diving is a non-physical tag, it should be combined with other (physical) tags, describing specific attributes of a dive spot. Therefore a namespace scuba_diving:*=* and a key scuba_diving=* respectively are proposed.
For more details please see below.
The namespace may be used to describe a dive location more precisely:
sport=scuba_diving + scuba_diving:name=Blue hole + scuba_diving:entry=shore + scuba_diving:type=cave + scuba_diving:descent_line=yes + scuba_diving:depth=30m + scuba_diving:maxdepth=60m
In addition to mapping dive spots it is definitively useful to map dive-shops and dive-centers as well. The following should be distinguishable:
- dive centers with full service
- air fill stations withouth any service
- dive shops selling equipment but not offering training or air fill
- any combination of the above
The following tags are proposed, but might be discussed in an extra proposal:
|scuba_diving:organization||organization of the center/shop according to Wikipedias List of Diver Trainer Organzations||relevant especially for training and licensing||PADI, CMAS, SSI|
|scuba_diving:education||yes/no||availability of training and licensing according to the organization defined in diving:organization=*|
|scuba_diving:rental||yes/no||availibility of equipment rental|
|scuba_diving:air_fill||yes/no||air fill available|
|scuba_diving:nitrox||yes/no||NITROX/Enriched air available|
|scuba_diving:spoken_languages||language codes according to ISO 639-1||available languages spoken by guides or instructors, of special interest for training and licensing issues||en, de, fr|
|scuba_diving:equipment_service||yes/no||availability of service for equipment is available|
amenity=dive_centre +name=Dive Center XY +scuba_diving:organization=PADI,CMAS +scuba_diving:education=yes +scuba_diving:rental=yes +scuba_diving:guided_tours=yes +scuba_diving:spoken_languages=en,de,fr,nl
+amenity:pressure_chamber=* perhaps also in combination with a hospital.
Air Fill Stations
For air fill stations, not offering any other kind of dive related service it is proposed to use scuba_diving:air_fill=yes. It might be useful for e.g. fire-fighter stations offering the filling of tanks. On specialised diving-maps, these stations may be rendered with an appropriate icon.
The tagging may be combined, e.g. for big dive centers offering training, guided-tours, air fill and having a small shop selling dive equipment. Renders will probably use a special variation of a dive-center icon to distinguish if a shop is included or not.
amenity=dive_centre +shop=scuba_diving +name=Dive Center XY +scuba_diving:organization=PADI,CMAS +scuba_diving:education=yes +scuba_diving:rental=yes +scuba_diving:guided_tours=yes +scuba_diving:air_fill=yes
- Nodes might be used for dive spots, shops or dive centers
- Ways might be useful for elongate dive places like routes, drift dives etc.
- Areas might be used to mark interesting areas like coral reefs or underwater attractions
- This proposal was developed from sport=diving. The tag was discussed on tag:sport=diving, but the discussion ceased some time ago without a real result. Still, some useful comments were made at the site, please have a look at the discussion there.
- http://osmdoc.com currently (as of 29.08.2009) lists the following usage of existing tags (>5 entries)
|key||value||usage||map (nodes)||map (ways)|
|sport||diving||185||Due to changes in Query-to-map this Template does not work anymore. You can use Template:Osm-query2. Please replace or delete this use of Osm-query template.|
- Divespots in Switzerland are tagged, using this scheme : DE:Switzerland/DiveSpots
- Wrecks are tagged by tag:historic=wreck
Rendering in OpenSeaMap
The OpenSeaMap might be a good place for rendering the dive-relevant information.
Example in OpenSeaMap - Switch on the "SportsLayer" !
Rendered as "Diver-Icon"
Please comment and discuss on the talk-page.
- List of Scubadivers: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Scubadiver
- If you are a Scubadiver you could add the Category 'Scubadiver'.