|Status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Tagging:||toll=[[Tag:toll='''<COUNTRY CODE>:'''fee/vignette/meter|'''<COUNTRY CODE>:'''fee/vignette/meter]]|
|Definition:||Wether you have to pay a certain toll to use the way (eg. on motorways)|
|Rendered as:||none, only for routing|
|Drafted on:||18:52, 7 May 2019 (UTC)|
The key already exists here. It's about updating it with useful information.
So far the tags yes and no make up 98.98% of the key. Looking at other routing aps a simple "yes there is indeed a toll" is no longer enough to ensure detailed quality routing.
In almost every country where there are roads you have to pay for some of them. Mostly highways, trunks and the like. But also private roads that can be accessed by paying a fee.
As said there are many examples:
- private roads
- certain tunnels
toll already is an existing key. It would not only include various new tags, but also would be combined with already existing key components (eg. toll:hgv, toll:bicycle, toll:conditional, etc.). See also headline New page layout for more tagging information
None. There is no use in rendering this key since it would make a simple map way too complicated. It would be only used for navigational maps.
Since this is a standalone key it wouldn't effect any other keys.
On the key's talk page
Please comment on the discussion page.
New page layout
|Toll roads charge money for some or all traffic.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Use toll=* to indicate that a fee must be paid by general traffic to use a road, road bridge or road tunnel.
How to map
There are various ways how a fee for a road can be collected. Note that the ISO 3166-1 Alpha-2 code country code has to be placed before the actual tag (eg. GB, US, DE, FR, etc.)
Only portions of a way should be marked with toll where paying the fee can either not be avoided (eg. beyond a toll booth or motorway links) or unlawful behaviour is punished by a toll authority.
Possible tags are:
- fee - The fee is paid per use with eg. coins, notes, debit cards, etc.
- vignette - The fee is paid through buying a vignette once and sticking it to some part of the vehicle. The road can be used multiple times with the vignette.
- meter - The fee is paid per use automatically after some sort of meter has collected the data.
- no - This should ONLY be used on streets where a toll would be expected but some reason there is none
Should be used in combination with: toll:type=
- time - The fee is paid once and the road can be used as much as you like within a certain time zone (eg. a year, a month, several days)
- distance - The fee is paid per distance. The more often the road is used the more money it costs.
Note that the tag yes must not be used since it's too generic and does not offer any additional information on which type of toll system is used and how the toll is paid.
toll:conditional=GB:meter @ (Mo-Fr AND 07:00-18:00)