SOTM Baltics 2013/Organization
The page is used to coordinate organization of the SOTM Baltics 2013 to be held in Tartu on the 3-4 of August, 2013. talk-baltics mailing list is used for discussion related to the conference organization.
Organizing team (subscribed to talk-baltics)
- Jaak Laineste ()
- Vladimir Elistratov ()
- Manuel Hohmann ()
- Ilja Zverev ()
- talk-ee (~50 members)
- talk-lv (~50 members)
- talk-lt (~50 members)
- Finnish forum and talk-fi (number of members not known, probably also ~50)
- Russian forum (~5 conference participants)
- Those coming from elsewhere in Estonia or Latvia will have enough time to come home till the evening. Those staying in Tartu (including guests) might have a smaller social event in the evening
- Those coming from elsewhere in Estonia or Latvia will have enough time to reach Tartu before the lunch.
- Common lunch somewhere
- The first part of the conference (starts after the lunch and lasts till the evening?)
- Main social event in the evening
- Program - more about community
- Welcome from the locals. State of the Map Estonia - Jaak - 20 minutes. Activity, map sources, local specific issues
- Welcome from the host Tartu University - a professor, brief history of the university - 20 min
- State of Map Latvia - 30 min TBA
- State of Map Lithuania - 30 min TBA
- State of Map Russia - 30 min TBA
- State of Map Finland - 30 min TBA
- None-conference stage - 60 min
- Data imports - samples, goods and bads. discussion round/panel - 45 min
- Last keynote: Jokes about Estonians, by Member of Academia Arvo Krikmann. confirmed, 30 min
- The second part of the conference (starts in the morning and lasts till the lunch)
- Common lunch somewhere
- More technical talks (?)
- Opening keynote: State Of The Map - by an OSMF board member (invited, probably Dermont)
- Tricks and tips for ID - latest OSM web editor
- JOSM for advanced hackers - relations, traffic data etc
What I (jaakl) can suggest:
a) Hostels - all within about 15 min walk to center, from best to worst by my personal preferences
- Hostel Terviseks - http://terviseksbbb.com/ good reviews and cant be more central - right in city hall square (50 m from our venue)
- Looming -http://loominghostel.ee/eng/. Booking.com has it also. Small number of places, but cosy.
- Hostel Vaksali 4 - http://www.hostel4.ee/, next to the railway station. Bigger and more standard one.
- Tartu Student village - the student dormitories - http://www.tartuhostel.eu/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
- Tartu Student Villa - http://www.tartustudentvilla.hostel.com/ - maybe tries to have similar name to previous one. It is a villa with dorm rooms AFAIK.
- Hostel Tähtvere http://www.imeiluseesti.eu/majutus/info.php?id=849&lang=en&c=1 . Could be the cheapest, you need to call or email. Quite near, 7 min from our venue.
- London http://www.londonhotel.ee/en/ - nice and in main pedestrian street, 1 block from our venue, higher side prices
- Dorpat http://www.dorpat.ee/Welcome - next to river, bus station and market. Quite new place
- Hotel Tartu http://www.tartuhotell.ee/en/ - small rooms, but renovated quite recently and good price. Booking.com calls it hostel. Just across bus station
Tip: some smaller villa-apartement places (e.g. Vikerkaare) may have no 24-hour staff, so you need to call ahead to arrange arrival on late hours. Some otherwise cheap places are in the edge of town (some 5-6 km from center) and I'm not that sure about public transportation there. The only camping place near city center would be in my backyard - free lawn provided.
- will we have call for papers? I imagine some of the program would be prearranged, some would be non-conference
- finances, sponsors
- program, including social events