San Francisco Address Import
SFAddresses is the shape file of address nodes released into the public domain by the City of San Francisco, California.
NOTE: this page describes a stalled import proposal from 2010. It probably needs to be rewritten. However, the topic is still relevant: most of San Francisco still lacks addresses, although it has building footprints since 2014.
Location of File
Right to Use
The data is PD. There is a hold harmless style clickthrough. This needs to be sent to talk-legal pre-upload but I really think it is okay. The city changed the clauses that caused the data to not be usable previously and have stated they'd love to see the data get used by projects like OSM.
The data is of excellent quality overall.
There are some small issues. The data in the file comes the voter registration project, the Department of Building Inspections Address Verification System and the city's parcel map. The DBIAVS and the parcel map place the node in the center of the building. The VRP puts it at the street. Neither is wrong but when combined it "looks messy."
- Gregory Arenius / User Page
- Alan McConchie / User Page
- Nathaniel V. KELSO / User Page
- Matthew McKenna / User:Mpmckenna8
- add your name here
All importers will create new accounts specifically data imports, following the Import/Guidelines. When those accounts have been created, they will be listed here.
- Run clickthrough agreement by talk-legal.
- Talk with other local community members at next Mappy Hour and at next mapping party.
- There aren't many address nodes or address ways in SF at the moment but talk to the people who have put the few we have.
- Run import by the import mailing list and see what advice people have.
- Decide exactly which tags to use.
- Lots of testing to make sure everything goes smoothly.
- Probably a whole bunch of other stuff but this is a start.
- Create an account for the import
Still in planning stages.