State Of The Map 2010/Organisation/Meetings
December 2nd, 2009
Present: Bojan Sobocan, Arjan Spigt, Steve Coast, Emilie Laffrey, Ivan Sanchez (first 15 minutes), Henk Hoff, Simone Cortesi, Hurricane McEwen, Floris Looijesteijn
Apologies: Luca Delucchi, Andreas Labres
The meeting started of with a sales-pitch of the applicants present for their bid.
- Of the Spanish bids he’d go for Girona
- Interesting city
- Easy to reach by air (Ryanair hub) and (international) train
- There is a Spanish OSgeo event in the spring of 2010 in Girona.
- Forteiland is a very small island with a old fortress.
- Inspiring location where we can do a lot of community-building.
- Plenty of break-out rooms
Simone (not the applicant, but speaking on behalf of OSMit) :
- Genoa is a typical old charming Italian city: narrow streets and high buildings.
- Venue is for free, however not available on Sunday
- Christopher Columbus was born in Genoa
- Several airports and seaports nearby or within 2 hours travel
Applicants of Vienna and Wagrain were not present.
Barcelona-bids not on shortlist in favor of Girona and Wagrein not on shortlist since that would be a winter-location and getting there is not all that easy.
After some discussion about the short-list all present members could vote for a bid. Girona: 4 votes / Vienna: 4 votes
Considering that Ivan (who was on the call, but had to leave early) would have voted for Girona and that several members had a stronger preference for Girona, the meeting came to a consensus to make Girona first choice and Vienna runner-up.
- First choice is Girona, runner-up is Vienna
- Three day conference, same as this year: businessday and community-weekend
- Give the Spanish chapter a week time to confirm the venue and more detailed information about the costs.
- If that’s unsatisfactory, the runner-up will host SotM10
- Hurricane: Publish the results on the various OSM media
- Henk: Contacting the applicants to inform them about the results of this meeting
- Henk: Contact the board with our decision for approval
Wednesday December 9th @ 8PM GMT
November 18th, 2009
Present: Bojan Sobocan, Arjan Spigt, Steve Coast, Emilie Laffrey, Ivan Sanchez, Henk Hoff
- Currently five bids (3x Spain, Italy, Netherlands)
- Two more are in preparation (France and Belgium)
- Decision process
- The meeting of December 2nd will decide on the venue of preference based on consensus within the group of people present at the meeting
- OSMF Board is approving this proposal or can vote another venue if they have strong objections for the proposed venue
- The bids need to finalized by December 1st. Bids may change until that time.
- From the three bids from Spain, Girona is the lead bid.
Henk: make clear to every bidding team that 1st December is the final day to propose/change bids.
Wednesday December 2nd @ 8PM GMT
November 11th, 2009
Present: Hurricane McEwen, Bojan Sobocan, Arjan Spigt, Steve Coast, Nick Black, Emilie Laffrey, Will King, Ivan Sanchez, Richard Weait, Henk Hoff
- Currently two bids: Barcelona and Genova (Italy)
- Both have major downsides.
- Barcelona because of the combination with FOSS4G: OSM will not be the centre of attention
- Genova because it has no major air-hub within 1-2 hour traveltime from city-center.
- Decided for an extension of the the bidding process. Now ends at December 1st.
- Announcing the venue/city at Monday December 7th.
- Criteria to judge the proposal in order to make a proper decision
- Easy access by public transport (train, bus)
- Preferably 1 hour away (max 1,5 hours) from major airport which also is served by low-cost airlines
- Availability of accommodation close to the venue
- Venue facilities (conference rooms, AV, WiFI, break out areas, right size)
- Venue catering
- Interestingness of the city
- How well the organizing committee will cope with the organization
- Outreach & marketing activities planned by the organizers
- Does the venue make SOTM accessible to a new group of OSMers (as opposed to the same people as last time)
- Promotional opportunities towards commercial organisations
- Sponsorship opportunities
- There's also going to be a SotM USA. Probably a couple of weeks before or after the European SotM
- Talked about moving SotM10 to USA/Canada altogether
- Hurricane - Announce extension of bid on OGD, talk, facebook, LinkedIn
- Henk - Contact Italian bidders to discuss the possibility of an alternative location/city
- Henk - Add the criteria to the wiki and inform the current bidders
- Henk - Set up a gDoc with the criteria to rate the proposals
- Steve - Arrange dail-in codes/numbers for next meeting
- All - Do (personal) outreach within each's network to get more proposals
Wednesday November 18th @ 8PM GMT
October 28th, 2009
Present: Henk, Hurricane
- Only one bid at the moment: Barcelona
- The combination with FOSS4G in Barcelona has pro's and con's
- Pro: Attendees very likely to be interested in both conferences
- Con: SotM might be perceived as a part of FOSS4G instead of a conference of OSM
- Initial end of bid on November 8th. Need for extension?
- If other bids are in the making, we would like to hear of it asap.
- All - Use all available channels to promote the RFP.
October 14th, 2009
Present: Henk, Martijn, Floris, Arjan, Hurricane, Bojan
- Evaluation last year
- Processed forms are on the bid page
- Martijn is going to work on the graphs to visualise the info a bit more.
- Evalution of last SotM available on wiki and processed evaluation forms available via gDocs. Links will be added on the wiki.
- Bid process
- Page online
- was already tweeted
- Was already posted on talk
- Henk to send note to list admins
- First bid in, Barcelona, change of date proposed. Not impossible but not likely either
- What can we do to stimulate the community to come up with creative bids?
- Wiki page kind of bland
- Put the word out on the social networks now.
- German OSM conference in March.
- Martijn work on some graphs based on the eval form data
- Martijn 2009 web site to be archived, fresh 2010 instance to be put in place
- Henk Every local mailing list admin will be asked to submit a post for the venue RFP
- All Use all available channels to promote the RFP
- Oct 28th, 9pm CET (8pm GMT) and then every other week.