State of the Map 2020/Call for venues
About State of the Map
In recent years the annual OpenStreetMap conference State of the Map has attracted 300-400 attendees. Normally it runs for three days; the weekend plus either Friday or Monday.
SotM has started in a traditional conference format. But we also have some unconference elements which we appreciate. Our vision is sufficiently broad to accept all styles of bid - we're open to new ideas if you provide a compelling case.
How to apply for SotM 2020
Would you and your team like to apply for holding SotM 2020 in your city?
For a proper official application please complete the following steps:
- Call for venues open: 15th April 2019
- Submit your proposal by: 15th June 2019
- We try to decide for the venue 2020 until end of August 2019 (we will inform the teams immediately after the decision).
- Announcement of venue 2020 at SotM 2019
- also observe other relevant event dates, e.g. avoid FOSS4G and local SotMs
The function of the following list is to show how the SotM working group analyze a bid. Don't worry if your bid doesn't comply with each single criterion.
- How many group members does the team have?
- How are the team and the group members connected to OpenStreetMap?
- Do some group members have experience in organizing a larger conference?
- Is the form fully filled out?
- For how many visitors is the venue suitable?
- Size of auditoriums
- Size of foyer
- Are there spaces for breakout sessions?
- Is there wheelchair access?
- Is the calculation template filled out with the costs for venue and catering?
- Is the venue cost acceptable?
- Is the catering cost acceptable?
- What infrastructure does the place have?
- Is it a LGBT friendly space?
- What about medical and travel safety?
- What about terrorism or crime?
- How good is the place reachable internationally?
- What kind of visa restrictions are there?
- Are there conflicts with other conferences (local SotM, Foss4G)
Funding (minor criterion)
- Can we expect additional regional sponsors?
- Is there administrative support or other support?
Other special features of the venue
- Are there any other special features of the venue that we should consider?
How to run a conference
- Compare last year's call for venue https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_of_the_Map_2019/Call_for_venues
Contact SotM Working Group
Do you need help with your bid? Or do you have any questions? Please contact SotM working group via email: email@example.com
The bids do not have to be in a final version to be listed here, so you may be able to work on it collectively. Because that's what a wiki is all about....