A super-relation is referred to as a 'parent' in Osmosis. The hierarchical structure of super- and sub-relations is also called a 'nested relation'.
Nested relations are virtually undocumented and rarely used but still there is an effort to process them.
- Routes, especially national and international cycling and hiking routes should be rendered by Waymarked Trails
- Routes, general? by the OSM Route Manager
- boundaries are used to build a hierarchy tree by Boundaries.pl
Examples of a super-relation is the Great Lakes which contains relations of each of its 5 lakes.
- Pros and cons of nested route relations: Relation:route#Creating super-relations for routes
- Implementation: Super-Relation/Implementation