|boundary = place|
|The boundaries of a place=*, when these boundaries can be defined but these are not administrative boundaries|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
boundary=place is commonly used to map the boundaries of a place=*, when these boundaries can be defined but these are not administrative boundaries. The tag is generally used to map the boundaries of parts of settlements such as suburbs, quarters and neighbourhoods, in addition to the use of a node with place=* at the centre. Caution: not all named places have verifiable boundaries - in that case, the boundary should not be mapped in OpenStreetMap.
How to map
On the relation:
type=boundary boundary=place place=* name=*
On member ways making up the relation†:
† When a way is being shared as an administrative boundary relation (boundary=administrative), and a place boundary relation, tag that member way with boundary=administrative. Both boundaries types are implied.
The place=* node of the place can be added as label to the relation to connect both.
- Centrum, a suburb in Amsterdam
- Huizum-Oost, a quarter in Leeuwarden
- Lievenspolder, a neighbourhood in Terneuzen
- place=* - Defines the center or outline of a named place
- boundary=administrative - An administrative boundary recognised by governments for administrative purposes
- Forum discussions about this tag: ,