Jump to navigation Jump to search
|natural = dune|
|A hill of sand formed by wind, covered with no or very little vegetation|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A hill of sand formed by wind, covered with no or very little vegetation. Seeon Wikipedia for more information. These primarily occur in deserts or at coasts.
How to map
Dunes can be mapped either
- as nodes, in case you know where the dune is but no details about its size and shape.
- as a way along the dune's crest, in particular useful in larger fields of dunes where it is unclear where one dune ends and another begins.
- as areas enclosing the area covered by the dune. If the dune occurs in a larger dune field or is surrounded by bare sand areas that are not part of this dune map the whole sand covered area as natural=sand in addition.
This tag should not be used for:
- larger sand covered areas where dunes occur - use natural=sand instead.
- coastal sand areas shaped by the waves - use natural=beach + surface=sand instead.
- other sand covered areas - use natural=sand instead.
- dunes that are mostly covered by vegetation like grass or heath and are therefore no more moving and changing shape like an active dune - use natural=heath or natural=grassland instead.
This tag has been requested for rendered in the Openstreetmap-carto style. See issue 545.