Jump to navigation Jump to search
|natural = dune|
|A hill of sand formed by wind, covered with no or very little vegetation|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
How to map
Dunes can be mapped either
- as nodes, in case you know where the dune is but no details about its size and shape.
- as a way along the dune's crest, in particular useful in larger fields of dunes where it is unclear where one dune ends and another begins.
- as areas enclosing the area covered by the dune. If the dune occurs in a larger dune field or is surrounded by bare sand areas that are not part of this dune map the whole sand covered area as natural=sand in addition.
This tag should not be used for:
- larger sand covered areas where dunes occur - use natural=sand instead.
- coastal sand areas shaped by the waves - use natural=beach + surface=sand instead.
- other sand covered areas - use natural=sand instead.
- dunes that are mostly covered by vegetation like grass or heath and are therefore no more moving and changing shape like an active dune - use natural=heath or natural=grassland instead.
This tag has been requested for rendered in the Openstreetmap-carto style. See issue 545.
- natural=sand - used for sand covered areas independent of the presence of dunes
- natural=beach - used for beaches
- natural=heath - used for heath, also for dunes mostly covered by heath vegetation
- natural=grassland - for vegetation covered dunes largely covered by grass
- landform=dune_system - an area of dunes (with natural=sand), or a sometimes a single dune (with natural=ridge). This tag has been used on larger number of objects than natural=dune, but only in two areas and nearly all uses are by one mapper