|natural = grassland|
|Areas where the vegetation is dominated by grasses (Poaceae) and other herbaceous (non-woody) plants.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Areas where the vegetation is dominated by grasses (Poaceae) and other herbaceous (non-woody) plants, excluding cultivated areas and wetlands.
Most of natural grassland areas (savanna, prairie, pampas) are outside of Europe. However in Europe, natural=grassland is used to tag abandoned, formerly cultivated land and wasteland, covered with wild grasses and/or other herbaceous plants.
Usually this tag is used for natural grassland areas, but in some areas it has been used for any area of grass.
- natural=grassland - required
- grassland=* - to tag the kind of grassland, optional
- species=* to specify plants species, optional
- Proposed features/Grassland — the original proposal and vote
- Vegetation — general discussion on tagging vegetation
- natural=scrub — vegetation dominated by shrubs (bushes)
- natural=heath — vegetation dominated by dwarf shrubs
- natural=fell — areas above the tree line
- natural=wetland with wetland=marsh — open wetlands where grasses grow in waterlogged soil (the distinction between grasslands and wetlands can be gradual)
- landuse=meadow — agricultural areas cultivated with grasses, for grazing (pasture) or hay (meadow).
- landuse=grass — usually ornamental areas covered with tended and mown grass