|natural = wood|
|Tree-covered area (a 'forest' or 'wood')|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Tree-covered area (a 'forest' or 'wood'). Used by some mappers to tag only certain woodland areas with limited or no forestry management, but often used for any tree-covered area.
There are major differences in the way this tag and landuse=forest are used by some Openstreetmap users. Some use this tag to show an area is covered in trees, others use it for woodland not impacted by human maintenance. This problem is explained in the page Forest.
How to map
Draw an area to match the shape of the woodland and tag it with natural=wood. If an exact match is infeasible then approximate shape is acceptable. As the last resort place a node instead of an area.
- name=* - name of woodland
- leaf_type=broadleaved/needleleaved/mixed - describes the type of leaves / needles
- leaf_cycle=deciduous/evergreen/mixed - describes the phenology of leaves / needles
- managed=yes/no - proposed to specifically distinguish managed or unmanaged woodlands
- operator=* - for managed or protected woodlands
- species=* for species (scientific) name
- taxon=* for general scientific name and discussion of recording cover values
If leaf_type=* is also set, this can be indicated by appropriate symbols for conifers, deciduous trees and mixed forests.
|leaf_type=broadleaved||Broadleaved woodland (doesn't mean deciduous).|