|natural = wood|
|Forest. Sometimes considered to have restricted meaning "Woodland with no forestry".|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A group of trees (a 'forest' or 'wood') usually mapped as an area.
There are major differences in the way this tag and landuse=forest are used by some Openstreetmap users. Some use this tag to show an area is covered in trees, others use it for woodland not impacted by human maintenance or 'forestry'. This problem is explained in the page Forest.
How to map
Draw an area to match shape of woodland and tag it natural=wood. If exact match is infeasible then approximate shape is acceptable. As the last resort place a node instead of an area.
- name=* - name of woodland
- leaf_type=broadleaved/needleleaved/mixed - describes the type of leaves / needles.
- leaf_cycle=deciduous/evergreen/mixed - describes the phenology of leaves / needles.
If leaf_type=* is also set, this can be indicated by appropriate symbols for conifers, deciduous trees and mixed forests.
|leaf_type=broadleaved||Broadleaved woodland (doesn't mean deciduous).|
- Forest for difference to
- leaf_type=* and leaf_cycle=*
- When should we use landuse=forest rather than natural=wood? on help.openstreetmap.org
- species=* for species (scientific) name
- taxon=* for general scientific name and discussion of recording cover values
- Vegetation - summary of tags for various types of trees and plants