|landuse = orchard|
|Used to mark intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
An orchard is an intentional planting of trees or shrubs maintained for food production. Orchards comprise fruit or nut-producing trees grown for commercial production.
The tag can also apply to a fruit garden, generally synonymous with an orchard, although it is set on a smaller non-commercial scale and may emphasize berry shrubs in preference to fruit trees.
The tag cannot be used for a garden producing vegetables under some fruit trees when the vegetable production is the main use and the trees are too scarce.
The soil of an orchard can be covered with grass or be naked, but generally worked yearly. The production is gathered.
(Proposal) In addition of the trees tag, when the name of the tree is not enough:
- produce=latex with trees=rubber trees,
- produce=truffles with trees=oaks,
- produce=cork with trees=oaks
Generally landuse=orchard should be used for trees that produce fruit. Use landuse=forest for trees grown primarily for their wood and landuse=plantation for fruit bushes and ground plants. landuse=farmland covers any plants for general food production. Some plants that are not grown for fruit or nut might also be considered under orchard: oaks grown for truffles or cork, oil palms for industrial palm oil and biodiesel. The case of willow plantations grown for wicker is less understood. We need more information on cultivation practice. Growing methods are similar, but we are unsure how wicker is gathered. Is the whole plant cut or only part (branches)?
The use of the second level tag produce=* is recommended.
- Special species list
- Oaks for truffles
- Oaks for cork
- A tree nursery could not be mapped using this tag.
- The tag cannot be used for a forest with predominance of producing trees. Such forest could be tagged using landuse=forest + leaf_type=broadleaved/needleleaved/mixed + something saying the production (e.g., produce=*).
More accurate renderers could render, according to what they implement, green symbols on brown background. E.g.,
Suggestions for creating a new pattern
- All the patterns are 24×24 px
- The background color is of landuse=farmland: #E6DDD0
- The leaves color is of landuse=forest: #B1CB9D
- The fruit shape is about 9 px diameter centered: once at 6px,6px, once at 18px, 18px (top-left : 0px, 0px)
- JOSM style "Landcover tags" for specific rendering in JOSM of some orchards
- See Proposed features/orchard for the approval.
- See on Wikipedia
- E.g., Maple for syrup in Canada, Maritime Pine for turpentine in France