Talk:Creating a proposal
Discuss the Creating a proposal page here. Make suggestions for changes:
Could this "Creating a proposal" section be simplified ? I am new to OSM and the Wiki paradigm. I'd like to create a proposal for a set of tags to describe the holy wells which are found around Ireland. I've read the "Creating a proposal" page and its sub-pages carefully and have seen the template there but I can't understand the template nor how to use it nor how to create a page nor how to create the link that is advised. If there were a form to fill out I could do that but this 'creation of a page' thing is beyond me. I guess there are some very basic Wiki principles here to which I am not yet privy. Maybe I should go to Wiki school or something but a simpler "cookbook" explanation of how to create a page and link it would be welcome. --Pacman 16:20, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
- I'd like to think that wiki newbies wouldn't struggle with this too much, so I've added a couple of sentences of explanation around the template bit. Hopefully people who are keen OSM mappers can figure out how to do this, but dont forget the wiki allows you to be bold. If you're creating good sensible content, then other people will be happy to help you by straightening out the wiki formatting later on.
- However ...OSM newbies. I'd prefer it if we could put off OSM newbies from creating proposals to be honest. If you're new to OpenStreetMap mapping process, go get a feel for it before you start creating new tagging proposals. A new tagging proposal should be quite a rare thing, if you manage to find a real world feature not covered by all the existing documented tags. It's not something every OSM mapper must to do within a week of joining the project! (That's general point of process. It's not to say that your holy wells idea is a bad one necessarily)
- -- Harry Wood 15:33, 19 August 2010 (BST)
Change "Proposal" to "Summary?"
In the Page Details section, the header item "Proposal" is awkward and perhaps redundant; the entire document comprises the actual Proposal. The actual usage seems to fit the definition of a Summary section. --Davetoo 02:15, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
- I guess you mean the section which is now called "Proposal Page Template". Seems like an OK title now -- Harry Wood 15:24, 19 August 2010 (BST)
Incorporate "Page Details" items into template?
Is there any reason *not* to incorporate the Page details section into the recommended proposal template, or perhaps a wrapper template which includes this core template? I've essentially cross-posted this question in that template's discussion page, too. --Davetoo 02:15, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
Explain procedures for voting
This site lacks of an explanation of the procedure for voting: What is the procedure? How does this person proceed? How interested people are informed, how they are invited to give their vote? Where the result of voting is comunicated?--Federico Explorador 20:17, 4 February 2011 (UTC)
Make title more specific?
The title of this page is pretty broad & could refer to creating new tag proposals, new feature proposals, etc. Could it be retitled & moved so as to support the range of new proposal types? Jeffmeyer 18:53, 8 January 2013 (UTC)
- Or getting down on one knee :-) Within OSM the term "proposal" was very widely known and recognised to mean tagging proposal a year or so ago, mainly because there were some pretty huge debates about them. The page should probably be called "Creating a tagging proposal" though yes. There's some translations which will need moving too though -- Harry Wood 23:37, 8 January 2013 (UTC)
Telephone lines. Telephone poles.
All I know is
- There are set conventions for marking electric power lines. There are set conventions for marking electric power poles.
- There are no set conventions for marking telephone lines. There are no set conventions for marking telephone poles.
Please somebody make some. Jidanni 01:52, 18 April 2013 (UTC)
There is a description of some infrastructure here: https://service.telstra.com.au/general/report-equipment-damage/form --Superduck (talk) 06:17, 18 April 2013 (UTC)
- Yes never mind. I made Talk:Map_Features#Telephone_lines_and_poles. Bye Jidanni (talk) 10:41, 18 April 2013 (UTC)