Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of fame on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
Saw a screenshot image of this on twitter: http://blog.alb42.de/programs/mapparium/ No better than any other software screenshot, but we should do more software screenshots really. We can spin a positive caption about this because it's a prime example of OSM data reaching exotic tech platforms!
Bus stops of Rosario and Buenos Aires
It needs a better marker for the bus stops, but can be an idea to a post in the future: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/834933019928571904 There are a lot of bus routes mapped in both cities as well. --Wille (talk) 01:42, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
- Better marker or, normally smaller markers or just dots would be the normal cartographic suggestion here. That said... I quite like the image as it is. -- Harry Wood (talk) 01:47, 17 September 2017 (UTC)
Travel time distance maps
TODO: Ask for permission. Maybe join into one side-by-side image
Weird blender cityscape
TODO: Ask for permission. + caption
Talk at Flisol Santa Fe, Argentina
Beatiful picture of a talk about OpenStreetMap in the Flisol 2018 event in Santa Fe, Argentina: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/990081444453240833 -- Wille (talk) 11:33, 8 May 2018 (UTC)
Address interpolation in Santa Fe, Argentina
- "Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at pbs.twimg.com." Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 09:43, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
- No problem for me (from France)... May be an issue with your ISP, or problem loading/checking one certificate from a signing intermediate CA, with OCSP under HTTPS (problems with Root CAs are unlikely), or some security suite (or privacy protector) on your PC blocking some Twitter service providers, or could be caused by your Internet connection via some bad VPN or rogue proxy. — Verdy_p (talk) 12:08, 27 May 2018 (UTC)
I noticed that frequently featured image is missing. I had an idea to make images showing some interesting features in Vespucci, StreetComplete, JOSM, iD. It feels not really fitting featured image but it may be better than blank space. What you think about this idea? Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 08:39, 2 July 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah I like that idea. ..although I reckon we could also just feature more screenshots of interesting features -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:28, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
State of The Map Group photo
...should be the image of the week for next week. It would be great if the folks organising the group photo would upload a copy of it here ASAP after taking it (We need it in place here by Sunday evening really)
- Thanks. I was chatting hbogner on the tram, who then chatted to somebody on the local organising team, who said the photo was already on wikimedia commons (great!) and texted him the link, and he posted it on here. Now the icing on the cake (minimising stuff I need to do during brief breaks at the conference. Less stress and spreading the workload here) would be if somebody had taken that link and lined it up to appear as featured image next week.
- ...It's ok, I did it. Just sayin' :-)
- Featuring this for next week
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:27, 31 July 2018 (UTC)
Sweden lakes & buildings
TODO ask for permission.
SotM poster competition
The poster competition at Milan featured some beautiful submissions. I believe that some of them, such as "Interchange Choreography" (the winning entry, iirc) and moovellab's parking space poster could make for good image of the week candidates. Do we have access to digital versions or maybe photographs of the posters? We may have to crop them, though – they were pretty huge. --Tordanik 17:02, 31 July 2018 (UTC)
- Ah yes. The poster competition was a great source of images previously. I'll have to see if I can figure out who to ask about getting the images. -- Harry Wood (talk) 15:58, 5 August 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah that could be a good idea for a topical "recent news" thing. Not sure which image would be best though. We already "featured" a nice photo on the blog. I think that was taken by Jinal Foflia. -- Harry Wood (talk) 21:05, 19 August 2018 (UTC)
Fixing multipolygons with OSM Inspector
- Yeah I quite like that. We should do more techy focussed screenshot type images. Let's get permissions and upload it. -- Harry Wood (talk) 21:11, 19 August 2018 (UTC)
Increase of node density in the Philippines
Birthday celebrations in Dhaka
Someone sent me link to a google drive full of photos from their event. I couldn't decide, so made this montage image
I'm going schedule for next week just because it's "current" related to the birthday and all ready to go now.... but great to see other suggestions coming in!