Featured image proposals
Welcome to Featured image proposals.
Great photos of OpenStreetMap community, maps, or artwork posted here stand a good chance of being made Featured images, giving your picture a week of fame on the main page of the OpenStreetMap Wiki, plus eternal fame in the archives.
Saw a screenshot image of this on twitter: http://blog.alb42.de/programs/mapparium/ No better than any other software screenshot, but we should do more software screenshots really. We can spin a positive caption about this because it's a prime example of OSM data reaching exotic tech platforms!
Bus stops of Rosario and Buenos Aires
It needs a better marker for the bus stops, but can be an idea to a post in the future: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/834933019928571904 There are a lot of bus routes mapped in both cities as well. --Wille (talk) 01:42, 24 February 2017 (UTC)
- Better marker or, normally smaller markers or just dots would be the normal cartographic suggestion here. That said... I quite like the image as it is. -- Harry Wood (talk) 01:47, 17 September 2017 (UTC)
Travel time distance maps
TODO: Ask for permission. Maybe join into one side-by-side image
Weird blender cityscape
TODO: Ask for permission. + caption
Talk at Flisol Santa Fe, Argentina
Beatiful picture of a talk about OpenStreetMap in the Flisol 2018 event in Santa Fe, Argentina: https://twitter.com/OpenStreetMapAR/status/990081444453240833 -- Wille (talk) 11:33, 8 May 2018 (UTC)
Address interpolation in Santa Fe, Argentina
- "Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at pbs.twimg.com." Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 09:43, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
- No problem for me (from France)... May be an issue with your ISP, or problem loading/checking one certificate from a signing intermediate CA, with OCSP under HTTPS (problems with Root CAs are unlikely), or some security suite (or privacy protector) on your PC blocking some Twitter service providers, or could be caused by your Internet connection via some bad VPN or rogue proxy. — Verdy_p (talk) 12:08, 27 May 2018 (UTC)
I noticed that frequently featured image is missing. I had an idea to make images showing some interesting features in Vespucci, StreetComplete, JOSM, iD. It feels not really fitting featured image but it may be better than blank space. What you think about this idea? Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 08:39, 2 July 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah I like that idea. ..although I reckon we could also just feature more screenshots of interesting features -- Harry Wood (talk) 23:28, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
Sweden lakes & buildings
TODO ask for permission.
SotM poster competition
The poster competition at Milan featured some beautiful submissions. I believe that some of them, such as "Interchange Choreography" (the winning entry, iirc) and moovellab's parking space poster could make for good image of the week candidates. Do we have access to digital versions or maybe photographs of the posters? We may have to crop them, though – they were pretty huge. --Tordanik 17:02, 31 July 2018 (UTC)
- Ah yes. The poster competition was a great source of images previously. I'll have to see if I can figure out who to ask about getting the images. -- Harry Wood (talk) 15:58, 5 August 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah that could be a good idea for a topical "recent news" thing. Not sure which image would be best though. We already "featured" a nice photo on the blog. I think that was taken by Jinal Foflia. -- Harry Wood (talk) 21:05, 19 August 2018 (UTC)
Embargoed until December
- I, as the sole author, would be very happy to release one such map of Germany or Hungary with the required open licence. (The maps of the USA were not based on OpenStreetMap data.) I would remove the copyright notice. I can create one with your choice of colour scheme, small or large marker spots, with or without the arrows. The borders, rivers, coastlines are from Natural Earth, it's the postal code markers that come from OSM. -- Bence Mélykúti (talk) 13:11, 3 October 2018 (UTC)
Here's an image from the Map-cake, it's a beautiful one. Have received permissions from the author (Mikel Maron) of the tweet to share this image.
Link to tweet: https://twitter.com/mikel/status/1042575033703571456
-- User:Jinal Foflia 15:05, 2 September 2018
- That is a beautiful cake! Need to write a caption. Was that for Mikel's birthday? -- Harry Wood (talk) 22:00, 23 September 2018 (UTC)
National Geographic Slovenia using OSM
Would you be interested to publish it as image of the week, preferably still in October? I am in contact with the publisher to make sure they are ok with it, as it makes sense to include some context (parts of the article and maybe a cover page thumbnail). The map itself is properly attributed and licensed under cc-by-sa.
- Sounds great! But I don't see a map at http://www.nationalgeographic.si/index.php?i=452 . D'you mean a print version of this article had a map? -- Harry Wood (talk) 22:52, 14 October 2018 (UTC)
- Yes, the map is featured only in the printed article. The publisher's legal representative managed to gather explicit permissions from the copyright holders (a museum and an individual photographer) of nearby photos for publishing the picture of the article on the OpenStreetMap site, but it did not explicitly specify any open license for such picture. Would that be a blocker or can we proceed with that? -- Stefanb (talk) 15:08, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Pristina bus stops
Cool bus top maps https://twitter.com/AnneDostert/status/1044133875084152832 ...but need to check. It seems familiar. Did we feature these before? -- Harry Wood (talk) 09:43, 16 October 2018 (UTC)
Karlsruhe Hack Weekend
Karlsruhe Hack Weekend October 2018 is this weekend. Hopefully somebody can get a cool action hacking photo. Could be a good one for next week if it's put on the wiki by Sunday night.
- User:Nakaner and User:Christine Karch shot some photos of the hack weekend, but as far as I know they haven't been uploaded yet. --Tordanik 16:40, 21 October 2018 (UTC)
This cappuccino was served with an OSM logo variation instead of the usual portrait on the cappuccino at our local mapper meeting:
Powered by OSM...